Customer Service 866.965.0400

Really stuck on dirt and tar

LDTcapitan

Question

Hey everyone I have a question:

On the very lower sides of my car some really heavy dirt and I'm guessing tar and whatnot has built up. Lately I've just been scrubbing at it with Adam's wash and a cheapo microfiber, frankly I don't want to let my acrylic wash mitt touch this nasty stuff. Last time I tried letting it soak in WCW and scrubbing it and it helped a bit, but all the new roads in my neighborhood and around work and school are really taking a toll on the car. Is there an easier way to do this? I remember someone telling me the older Adam's wash mitts (the ones that looked like foam pads) had like a scrubbing side. Would getting something like that help? I just finished a scrubbing yesterday so I don't have pictures but I'm sure in a week I could get some lol.

Thanks in advance, Tony

12 answers to this question

Seeing pictures of said stuff would be great, but...

I'd use (and have) 3M's adhesive remover on an Adams MF applicator if it's tar. The stuff is designed for body shops, but you can get it online at Amazon. It makes VERY quick work of tar. Then clay and after all that "scrubbing" you did you will probably need to give the paint some MAJOR loving.

Some people use goo gone but the 3M works much better/faster and is paint safe.

Good luck,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:iagree:

Goo Gone will be easier to find on a weekend, but Adhesive Remover works great. If you can wait until the work week, check for an Auto Body PBE store in your area and they should carry it.

Like Chris said (or was it Chris?) once you use something this strong on the paint, you have removed all the protection, so reapply your favorite Adam's Wax or Sealant.

Sorry to dredge up (yes, pun somewhat intended) an old thread, but I'm still fairly new and trying to go back and catch up on all older threads/posts so I don't commit newb cardinal sins of asking questions that have already been addressed (note - I probably will still end up doing this anyway).

The relevance for me on this thread is that my road doubles as another location for NASA to study the formation of craters, and the road commission uses it as an opportunity for testing the distribution of asphalt patches with an air cannon. Needless to say, tar is everywhere and even at 1 - 2 mph, it still seems to find its way onto my baby's finish (which unfortunately in regard to this is tri-coat pearl white).

I'm reluctant to go the diluted APC route on my finish to deal with this. I'm HOPING that Adam's will eventually introduce a paint-safe product that will be moderately convenient and effective in dealing with bugs and tar. I've gotten just about everything else he sells in the past 3 months, but would buy a ton of this stuff if it ever makes its way into existence!

There's nothing more frustrating to me than a 45-minute wash taking close to 2 hours due to the said gooey menace, and even worse if my wash pad ends up with some on it!

Tru (tarred of dealing with tar)

Stoners Tarminator is like 3 dollars a bottle and works just as well and is safer on a wider variety of surfaces than the 3M product (3m is a professional range product and stoners is enthusiast grade).

to prove this I have discolored and stained black plastic with the 3m adhesive remover, and the Stoners tarminator can be used on any colored plastic or any exterior surface.

a really fast solution would be to take some straight dawn soap undilutted and rub it into the tar by hand and let it sit there and dwell. That should help loosen it up.

Archived