Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash/Wax on an old vehicle.

AVA182

Question

I'm going to be washing/waxing my neigbors historic rolls royce and I was wandering if their is anything that i should pay special attention to or watch out for on a car with such old paint (around 30-50 years I think).

Thanks,

kgregg97

16 answers to this question

Ahh, gotcha. Do you have any Buttery Wax? There is a tiny amount of cleaner in that product, which may provide some improvement? Also, you might want to try and use the SHR with the White Pad, for less cut.:thumbsup:

I tried the swirl and haze remover by machine on the orange pad...that made the pad turn the color of the car....I then tried poorboysworld ssr1 and it was still too strong, and turned the pad to a dark silver color which is the car color. I am ordering FMP today but I dont have any other polishes that I can try.

Michael, what products are in your garage, and what did you try on the car first? Polishing by hand will be fine, and getting the paint healthy will likely require more than wax.

Let us know what you are trying, or what you have on the shelf. I'd be happy to give some suggestions, as I've used/tested most products on the market!

:thumbsup:

Well I finally got around to doing this and I tried a light polish from another company(ordering FMP) and S&H remover (after claying)on a small area that is not too visible and it the pad was turning the color of the paint so I stopped and just waxed it because I didn't want to take any chances.

From what I understand, cars of that age did not have the multiple layers of paint and clear that we have now. It was all lacquer paint like what is on my 72 Ford. The lacquer polishes very nicely and there's not as much need to worry about burning through the clear as it is mixed in throughout the paint. I used a small amount of RP with a regular diapercloth towel on a small test spot of the paint. It shined right up! I can't wait to get the PC close to it with some SHR and get some of the swirls out of it.

Evidently the reason for getting away from the lacquer paint was that it is extremely hazardous to your health and the environment when you're applying it. This is all second hand information from a friend so maybe someone else will have a better explanation.

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago watching Barret Jackson.

There was a 67 or 68 Shelby Mustang rag top on the block. 7000 miles and everything original. Never had any restoration done, and frankly didn't look like it needed it. But the paint was swirled bad enough it was really evident.

Do you even try to polish out 43 year old paint on a car that is so original?

I want to put it on by machine (msw). But I may put on a carbuna wax like Americana on by hand. Since it is garage kept I'm probably going to put on the carbuna wax. I'll post pics afterwards.

Archived