Customer Service 866.965.0400

Silicone and hard plastic ?

Natch02

Question

Does using a silicone dressing on hard plastic trim turn it brown like tires? It's on a Ford F250.The reason I ask it seems everytime I get done with the truck, I get a little drizzle and I have to reapply vrt.

10 answers to this question

The reason is because VRT is water based and any water will make it run. It will run on the hard plastic because it has nothing to soak into. You can try to apply it and wipe the excess off with a MF towel to help reduce the "running".

:iagree:

Short answer yes.

Silicone dressings will discolor trim over time. I wish I had taken pics, but I did a detail on a "mom-driven" Trailblazer (2002) yesterday. Her husband had been applying silicone dressings to the trim for years... they were a lovely shade of brown. Took hours of scrubbing with full strength APC and a toothbrush just to get them to a reasonable level of black then 2-3 applications of VRT to bring back any life... do yourself a favor... stay away from silicone dressings.

Short answer yes.

Silicone dressings will discolor trim over time. I wish I had taken pics, but I did a detail on a "mom-driven" Trailblazer (2002) yesterday. Her husband had been applying silicone dressings to the trim for years... they were a lovely shade of brown. Took hours of scrubbing with full strength APC and a toothbrush just to get them to a reasonable level of black then 2-3 applications of VRT to bring back any life... do yourself a favor... stay away from silicone dressings.

Holy crap. At least now they know what is a good product.