Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay bar differences

694doorbird

Question

20 answers to this question

The Adam's bar is a lot bigger so it will go further. As far as effectiveness I haven't noticed any difference between Adam's, Meguire's, Mothers or Zaino's. I have never used all of them panel-to-panel so I can't say for certain, but I have never noticed that one was better than the other.

Hi Mike-

Thanks, and in fact, Meg's and Mother's sell 80g (2.7oz) bars. We sell a 180g (6.4oz) bar. The manufacturer is all the same, Auto Magic. They sued everyone else out of business over a patent battle, so until 2011, the clay available in the USA is, "Fine, Med, or Aggressive."

Color doesn't matter, and most retailers sell only the fine grade clay. Medium and Aggressive clay are for body shops, and often must be followed with a rotary buffer, as the aggressive clay usually scratches.

Meguiar's did make a white clay bar which seemed extra gummy, and stuck to my fingers when I tried it. Maybe someone here can explain why that bar was such a bummer to use??

Most others are now very, very similar. If you Mother's bar works for you, and you don't mind the size, keep using it!

-Adam;)

Meguiar's did make a white clay bar which seemed extra gummy, and stuck to my fingers when I tried it. Maybe someone here can explain why that bar was such a bummer to use??

I have one of these, used it with both Meg's quik detailer and Detail Spray and it hardly picked up anything. I hit the same spot then with your blue clay and it pulled up a ton more grit. The white clay just glided over the contaminants, as indicated by the gouge marks in the clay itself.

Most others are now very, very similar. If you Mother's bar works for you, and you don't mind the size, keep using it!

-Adam;)

I noticed the gumminess with the Meguires bar, so I just thought that was normal. Not sure if it's normal or not, but when I hit the end of the wet area, the clay came to a dead stop and even left a scuff mark. I think I'm going to put one of Adam's clay bar on my shopping list also.

I noticed the gumminess with the Meguires bar, so I just thought that was normal. Not sure if it's normal or not, but when I hit the end of the wet area, the clay came to a dead stop and even left a scuff mark. I think I'm going to put one of Adam's clay bar on my shopping list also.

Good idea!:2thumbs:

I've seem cars that needed that Aggressive clay! A 10 year old car that has never been clayed and very rarely even got waxed is SCARY stuff.

I like Adam's Clay as the blue is easy to see all sorts of contaminants in.

If this hood, which sat outside for two years and went unwashed during that period, was fixed with Adam's Claybar, I don't know why a car would need anything more abrasive. This hood sounded and felt like 1000 grit sandpaper when you rubbed your fingers across it:

meano_dirty_before.jpg

meano_dirty_before1.jpg

I used Adam's Claybar to remove the grit and dirt from what clear is left on the car and the final results after paint correction yielded this:

meano_dirty_before2.jpg

meano_dirty_before8.jpg

Adam's Claybar is all you need. :2thumbs:

Agreed. The only time a more aggressive claybar would be needed is if you're trying to remove over-spray. 99.9% of the time, the Adam's bar will be enough.

I have even used it successfully on overspray. I'm trying to think of a situation that would require something more abrasive. Body shops probably use it because it cuts faster and they just want to get the car in and out. Typical crappy work attitude that doesn't surprise me about body shops.

I'm trying to think of a situation that would require something more abrasive.

I got one for ya: The other day while I was doing a walk through at a construction site, the masonry guys were mixing some brick mortar a little too close to my car, so some of it ended up settling on my paint. The blue bar wasn't hacking it, so out came the aggressive bar - which pulled that stuff right off. So there you go - if somebody dumps concrete on your car...you'll need the aggressive bar :lol:

I got one for ya: The other day while I was doing a walk through at a construction site, the masonry guys were mixing some brick mortar a little too close to my car, so some of it ended up settling on my paint. The blue bar wasn't hacking it, so out came the aggressive bar - which pulled that stuff right off. So there you go - if somebody dumps concrete on your car...you'll need the aggressive bar :lol:

If somebody brings that kind of finish to me, I'll send them to you. I want no part of that claying job. I complain about using the soft clay! :willy:

I used Griots up until I started using Adams not quite a year ago now and I always found Griots to be mushy and I ALWAYS wore latex gloves with it. I hate it and I have a brand new bar sitting on my shelf from them... lol I like the Adams bar because it doesn't melt in my hand. My hands would literally look like umpa lumpa hands...

Buy Adams and be happy!

Chris

The aforementioned car I was talking about had what looked like about every type of contaminate you could find on it. We're talking tar, dirt, minerals, what looked like little pieces of metal (fallout?), and to top it off yellow overspray from driving over wet road paint. I did not personally detail it and wanted no part of doing something like that. I agree that the blue will work for 99.9% of the time.

Hi Mike-

Thanks, and in fact, Meg's and Mother's sell 80g (2.7oz) bars. We sell a 180g (6.4oz) bar. The manufacturer is all the same, Auto Magic. They sued everyone else out of business over a patent battle, so until 2011, the clay available in the USA is, "Fine, Med, or Aggressive."

Color doesn't matter, and most retailers sell only the fine grade clay. Medium and Aggressive clay are for body shops, and often must be followed with a rotary buffer, as the aggressive clay usually scratches.

-Adam;)

My neighbor used the Meguiars white clay bar and it was literally falling apart in his hand and like Adam had said it was very sticky for some reason. I had to get one of my bars from Adams so he could finish his car. I just stick with what works for me.