Customer Service 866.965.0400

Noob questions about final finishes.

G8V8

Question

Hello all. Thank you for all the great information in these threads. This is my first post other than the new member greeting so I hope my questions are not too disjointed.

I have a 2008 G8 in black metallic. It is my DD and sits outside most days (work) and is garaged every night. I have been a zaino guy for a while and am used to the wash, clay-bar and Zaino routine. I used to put about 10 to 12 coats of alternating Zaino and their gloss enhancer on twice a year with almost daily dusting and weekly zaino gloss enhancer detailing.

I just bought the PC detailing kit and have read a lot of threads, watched the Adams DVD and junkmans videos. It makes my brain hurt but I think I the basic concepts and progression understood.

OK, now for my questions. After washing, clay bar, SHR, MFP and MSW what is next? I see butter wax, glaze and carnauba. The MSW sounds like it lasts a long time and detail spay keeps the finish looking very good from what i have read.

What if you want more? I go to informal shows almost every week and I've gone to the GM Nationals in Carlise twice (I took 3 rd both times) but, especially this year, lost out to a red G8 whose paint "Popped". It was amazing.

So, what do I do after the clean-up and MSW, just detail spray? Butter wax? Glaze? APW?

Can these be applied over the MSW? Over DS? Can DS be used over these final finishes?

Since the BW, Glaze and APW do not last as long as the MSW, can the finish be washed or DS and then more coats of BW, glaze or canauba be applied when they start to loose their "pop"?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm working up an order of Adam's goodies and am trying to figure out which stuff to buy. I'm going to get the Judges kit that has glaze but was also thining about some butter wax.

Would you use BW topped with glaze?

I will probably get APW at some point but probably not until I go to another judged show.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Ed

10 answers to this question

About time you showed uo here, Ed!:welcomebanner::pc:

Hello all. Thank you for all the great information in these threads. This is my first post other than the new member greeting so I hope my questions are not too disjointed.

I have a 2008 G8 in black metallic. It is my DD and sits outside most days (work) and is garaged every night. I have been a zaino guy for a while and am used to the wash, clay-bar and Zaino routine. I used to put about 10 to 12 coats of alternating Zaino and their gloss enhancer on twice a year with almost daily dusting and weekly zaino gloss enhancer detailing.

I just bought the PC detailing kit and have read a lot of threads, watched the Adams DVD and junkmans videos. It makes my brain hurt but I think I the basic concepts and progression understood.

OK, now for my questions. After washing, clay bar, SHR, MFP and MSW what is next? I see butter wax, glaze and carnauba. The MSW sounds like it lasts a long time and detail spay keeps the finish looking very good from what i have read.

What if you want more? I go to informal shows almost every week and I've gone to the GM Nationals in Carlise twice (I took 3 rd both times) but, especially this year, lost out to a red G8 whose paint "Popped". It was amazing.

So, what do I do after the clean-up and MSW, just detail spray? Butter wax? Glaze? APW?

Can these be applied over the MSW? Over DS? Can DS be used over these final finishes?

Since the BW, Glaze and APW do not last as long as the MSW, can the finish be washed or DS and then more coats of BW, glaze or canauba be applied when they start to loose their "pop"?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm working up an order of Adam's goodies and am trying to figure out which stuff to buy. I'm going to get the Judges kit that has glaze but was also thining about some butter wax.

Would you use BW topped with glaze?

I will probably get APW at some point but probably not until I go to another judged show.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Ed

Ed, you pretty much already have the right idea with what to 'do next'. The MSW you put on will provide a nice base layer of long-lasting (6 months~) of protection, which is good for a car that stays outside. I have put MSW on my DD as well. I wash weekly, and Buttery Wax monthly to maintain the shine.

Right before a show, give it some Spray Glaze to enhance the gloss and add the 'pop' that you need to win. In between washings and waxings you can use the Detail Spray to remove very light dust from the car.

Yeah! Where the hell have you been Ed...

I use Americana. I would use BSG if I were going to show it for sure. I've used it and it DOES make the black as well as the windows POP while covering up some of the minor scratches.

I have the same color and I spent 3 hours on just my trunk and rear bumper the other day. It looks great now and I don't cringe every time I walk by it and see the hair line scratches.

It's a labor of love keeping a black car nice.

The thing that took me a while to figure out is time and pressure. It takes a lot of time and a lot of pressure but it also takes only a little pressure as well... It's all knowing when to press and when not to press...

Chris

Ed, you pretty much already have the right idea with what to 'do next'. The MSW you put on will provide a nice base layer of long-lasting (6 months~) of protection, which is good for a car that stays outside. I have put MSW on my DD as well. I wash weekly, and Buttery Wax monthly to maintain the shine.

Right before a show, give it some Spray Glaze to enhance the gloss and add the 'pop' that you need to win. In between washings and waxings you can use the Detail Spray to remove very light dust from the car.

:iagree:

You can really go any one of those routes and get different results. I'll give you my quick rundown from personal experience with all the products as I've seen it:

BSG - Great product for a quick boost to your shine and gloss. The quickest and easiest product to apply on the spot if you don't have time for a full wax job, but still need your paint to look "just waxed". It bears mentioning that BSG is not at all durable. A couple of afternoons in the sun or a wash and its gone... now I love this stuff in a pinch, but its lack of durability just makes me feel like I'm wasting my time b/c the benefit will be gone so quickly. By far still my favorite product on glass and chrome... nothing makes those surfaces come to life like BSG does.

BUTTERY - This stuff looks phenomenal layered over the top of MSW and next to BSG is the easiest product in the entire line to apply. As (IMO) MSW tends to leave the finish looking slightly 'plastic' as most synthetic sealants do Buttery is the prefect compliment b/c it gives you the depth and gloss that you'd expect from a liquid wax. Buttery is a great balance of durability, gloss, and price IMO... you'd be hard pressed to find a liquid wax at the same price that'll net you the same level of results.

AMERICANA - mmmmmm... OH... sorry... thinking about applying a coat tomorrow :D The best of everything, the deepest shine, best gloss, most warmth and life, not to mention extremely durable. I know a lot of people on the site have been topping APW with BSG, but personally I've seen that actually detract from the Americana finish (IMO) 2 thin coats of Americana over the top of MSW is the #1 knockout combo IMO.

The thing is, part of the fun of detailing is playing with these combos to see what nets you the best result, what might be right for me might not be right for someone else. My suggestion to you is to play with the combos... layering products isn't permanent, so anything you do can easily be stripped off the next time and replaced with another combo on your next detail... so play "mad scientist" IMO... get crazy with your combos and order of application and see where it take you.

All great advice. Usually, when i go to a show in my magnetic grey G8, i apply butter wax the night before and when i arrive to the show, i apply the brilliant spray glaze. I have gotten countless compliments when i follow this procedure.