Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Much for a Detail?

Devin04

Question

The word has been spreading that I love to detail my car and wouldn't mind helping others out with theirs. I've had a few people come and tell me they will pay me but I don't know what to ask for. They know I'm not going to try to rip them off and they want me to charge enough so that it's worth my time. My upcoming detail is on a white 08 VW GTI. She has never washed it I'm pretty sure but it seems to be in good condition. My plan is a wash with Dawn to remove any buildup of wax and junk followed by claying and finally some Americana and dressings. I'm guessing it will take me about 5 hrs. Any tips on what I should charge or how to charge? By job, materials used, or time? I wouldn't mind this as a job on the weekends for some extra cash.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ha ha here you go. I just logged on and saw your post. I'm not happy with how the pictures came out but better to have some than none.

All of the before pics were after I hosed off the car so it looks a lot better than it actually was. The car was really bad I took 2 hrs just to wash it and about another 2 claying it. I noticed a lot of metal flakes imbedded in her paint that were starting to oxidize. Overall it's about what you would expect from a car that has never been clayed and is usually washed by machine. There wasn't much light in the after pics, but it is shiny for white.

It ended up taking me about 6 hrs to complete the whole car.

Washed, clayed, 2 coats of Americana, Metal polish on the exhaust tips, BSG on all glass and chrome, VRT on exterior plastics and tires.

Before Pics:

DSC02366.jpg

DSC02367.jpg

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

After Pics:

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

This pic is my favorite:

DSC02386.jpg

Edited by Devin04

Glad you all like it. The customer said she was really happy when she saw it. She said she couldn't stop smiling. I told her how much it would be but I think she wants to pay me more. I'll see her at work today, wonder what I'm gona get.

Oh ya I wanted to ask what you all think about offering some sort of discount on a future detail if the person refers someone else to me. What works and what doesn't?

Nothing wrong with that. Referrals are a good way to build business. Just don't go bananas with it - 10 -15% at the most.

Oh ya I wanted to ask what you all think about offering some sort of discount on a future detail if the person refers someone else to me. What works and what doesn't?

Thats what I would do, something like a free wash and wax for every 5 referrals.

How do you charge when dealing with oversized trucks and SUVs?

Here's a few more pics.

DSC02385.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

Gota love black. Even when my car is dirty it's shiny.

DSC02381.jpg

Edited by Devin04

Tack on 15%, but normally I farm out the over-sized stuff.

I would add extra cost if the car needs extra correction, not because of extra size. The size of the vehicle is proportional to the amount of work needed to be done, that's why a fixed hourly rate is a better option IMO

I would add extra cost if the car needs extra correction, not because of extra size. The size of the vehicle is proportional to the amount of work needed to be done, that's why a fixed hourly rate is a better option IMO

Indeed. But the 10-15% is my "Frank doesn't feel like doing this" surcharge :lol: I also tack it on to cars as well if I don't like the owner...lol