Customer Service 866.965.0400

First wash with Adam's products -- some questions

Z51L9889

Question

I did my first wash yesterday with Adam's wash pad, car wash, detail spray, and MF towel using the wash and dry techniques from the videos.

I ran into an issue when I went to dry the car. I did a rinse without a sprayer to get the water to sheet, sprayed detail spray, then dried with the MF towel. The car was in the sun and the temp was about 80 degrees with a moderate breeze. Total time elapsed between the detail spray and towel dry was about 90 seconds at most (turn off hose, run into garage to get towel), but I had severe streaking and residue on the finish. The panels were starting to dry but there was still water on the car. It was bad enough that I had to re-rinse the car.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions to avoid this happening in the future?

Also, about how much detail spray should I use before drying? The wind was blowing so some of it was blowing away but I used about 1/4 of a bottle on a Pontiac G8 to get what I thought was good coverage. Is this too much?

I will be doing a wipe down with detail spray today because of tree pollen. Any suggestions on how much to use? I'm going to try a very fine mist and see how that works. I want to use enough to get it right but at my current rate of usage I'll go through a whole bottle to do 2-3 cars.

BTW -- the MF drying towel is incredible! I've never dried with microfiber before and it's like a Hoover for water.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Z51L9889

15 answers to this question

I cannot advise you on the drying towel, as I have yet to use mine.

However, with the detail spray. That is the one product that you are going to use the most of. I would advise buying a gallon on your next order. I use about half a bottle when I do my truck

You were under the sun is what went wrong. If the outside temp is 80, the temp of your car surface is hovering slightly over 100 - washing a surface between 105 and 110 will cause severe (as in you need to wet sand them off) water etching if you're using hard, non-filtered water. Grab a 12' x 12' canopy at Home Depot - it's one of the best investments you can make if you've no choice but to wash outside. Getting a car wet in the sun is a no-no!

As far as your Detail Spray usage; between drying, claying, and a few other odds and ends, I used about 1 bottle per car I detailed. So it looks like you're being pretty economical with it so far - nothing to worry about. :2thumbs:

I know it's going to hurt to hear this, but if you're covered in tree pollen, you may need to wash again. The outside of pollen is basically a bunch of hooks and spikes (which is why it sticks to everything), so if there's too much on your finish and you wipe it off with insufficient lubrication - say hello to paint marring and swirl marks!

If the pollen is just a light dusting and if you'll be working outside, be sure to apply your Detail Spray to the towel first (NOT to the finish first), otherwise it will evaporate too quickly and leave you with no surface lubrication. Applying to the towel first also keeps your product usage in check :)

Thanks for the responses. :2thumbs:

Frank -- Thanks for the tip on tree pollen. The car had only a light coating of tree pollen since I washed it yesterday. I misted the car lightly with detail spray and it came off readily. I did it about 11 AM before the sun got too hot. I never had used detail spray for anything other than claying previously but I am now totally sold on wiping the car down with it. The car looks fabulous and I haven't clayed or waxed it yet. I'm really anxious for my PC to show up this week so I can get rid of the swirls the dealer put in and get a good coat of wax on it.

I had the car parked in the shade prior to the wash so the surface was cool. I have to wash in the sun because the trees I have are particularly "dirty" at this time of year.

Edited by Z51L9889

Thanks for the responses. :2thumbs:

Frank -- Thanks for the tip on tree pollen. The car had only a light coating of tree pollen since I washed it yesterday. I misted the car lightly with detail spray and it came off readily. I did it about 11 AM before the sun got too hot. I never had used detail spray for anything other than claying previously but I am now totally sold on wiping the car down with it. The car looks fabulous and I haven't clayed or waxed it yet. I'm really anxious for my PC to show up this week so I can get rid of the swirls the dealer put in and get a good coat of wax on it.

I had the car parked in the shade prior to the wash so the surface was cool. I have to wash in the sun because the trees I have are particularly "dirty" at this time of year.

The car looks fabulous, huh? Prove it!:

:worth:

Definitely just the heat wreaking havoc on stuff... always work in a garage or shade if at all possible.

I'd also highly advise against washing/drying when theres wind... tons of particulate is being blown around, hitting the surface, then being drug around while you dry leading to more swirls.

I know not everyone can work in optimal conditions all the time, but avoiding certain situations will make life easier in the long run IMO.

I wash and dry in the sun with no problem, what I do is right after I am finished rinsing the car down is hit it with detail spray. After I detail spray the entire car I go and grab the electric leaf blower and get rid of most of the water, then I use the drying towel to get the little spots, yes the detail spray drys out and leaves pink streaks, this is not a big deal at all, if I am going to clay I will just be using more detail spray.

The way I get rid of all of the dried out detail spray on the paint is to spray each panel and wipe with the MF towel, no problems at all.

The car looks fabulous, huh? Prove it!:

:worth:

OK .......

P1010003-1.jpg

p1010001-1.jpg

p1010002-1.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Today's project was to wash the wife's Pacifica (in the background of the above picture) and start cleaning up the wheels. I do wash the wheels whenever I wash the car but the oxidation and baked in brake dust was getting pretty bad.

Before:

P1010024.jpg

P1010013.jpg

After almost 3 hours with clay (one wheel done):

P1010025.jpg

P1010022.jpg

I did add some small scratches to the wheels that I need to polish out, but they look a thousand times better than before. I'll probably take the wheels off the car to do the other 3.

BTW -- I know the tires look like crap. :rolleyes: I've got some VRT on order ...

Edited by Z51L9889

Pull the car in a garage or somewhere in the shade to dry. And finely mist the Great White Drying Towel. And buy the Detail Spray in the Gallons maybe 5-Gallon jug would be the best. I am like Ty i use have a bottle at a time for my whole truck. The product goes quick but it is so great. :thumbsup:

Gerry -- here are a few shots taken in 2005. I don't have anything more recent as it has been sitting covered since then waiting for a heart transplant. That procedure should be completed this summer if I ever get off my lazy butt...:willy:

P1040003.jpg

p1040001.jpg

beaverun4.jpg