Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash brush extension pole thoughts?

Marshall

Question

I bought this 3 section aluminum extension pole at a big box store several years ago. Mainly to do my house casement style windows. My previous truck wash brush extension pole failed in less than 2 years. It was fiberglass with a push button for the single extension part. So the aluminum 3 section has been on my detail cart ever since. 

The aluminum pole has to be twisted to unlock an extension and it's a pain lately to extend or collapse once you have soap all over it.  Does anyone have any extension poles they own and prefer? Just looking for some suggestions based on experiences from the forum. Thanks!!

(I only use the brush on the truck/suv roofs and windshields. 😉)

20240825_215648.jpg

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the link Falcaineer! Somehow I missed this on the Adams site. I must say it looks identical to the fiberglass handle one I had the fell apart suddenly. Only difference with that one was it was bright yellow. I'm considering this one from Adams though. 

If you are doing regular vehicles the Adam's style is very good.  If you are doing large campers and motorhomes, in particular with 12 to 16 foot awnings, then there are other options.   I have short one that I purchased before Adam's started selling their own, it was pretty much the same price and looks almost the same and most importantly, it has not given me any problems at all.    A little water resistant lithium around the joint a couple of times a year will help prevent the sticking that they all tend to have.

If you are doing large campers and motorhomes, then a 16 foot pole is helpfull.  The one I have is fiberglass, not too heavy, yet stiff enough that it doesn't wable around and is a twist to lock style.  As long as you don't extend it all the way to end it works well, so when I expand it I go to the end then back off a few inches before locking it.  The downside is that it was expensive and while I don't recall how expensive, it was over $100.

Bottom line, I would not hesitate to purchase the short pole from Adam's based on the style and I hope I never need to purchase another long one.

On 8/26/2024 at 7:23 PM, RayS said:

If you are doing regular vehicles the Adam's style is very good.  If you are doing large campers and motorhomes, in particular with 12 to 16 foot awnings, then there are other options.   I have short one that I purchased before Adam's started selling their own, it was pretty much the same price and looks almost the same and most importantly, it has not given me any problems at all.    A little water resistant lithium around the joint a couple of times a year will help prevent the sticking that they all tend to have.

If you are doing large campers and motorhomes, then a 16 foot pole is helpfull.  The one I have is fiberglass, not too heavy, yet stiff enough that it doesn't wable around and is a twist to lock style.  As long as you don't extend it all the way to end it works well, so when I expand it I go to the end then back off a few inches before locking it.  The downside is that it was expensive and while I don't recall how expensive, it was over $100.

Bottom line, I would not hesitate to purchase the short pole from Adam's based on the style and I hope I never need to purchase another long one.

Thanks for the feedback Ray!

I leaning towards getting the shorter one, 2'-4'. Mainly because I've got a step platform on my detailing cart that puts me 2' roughly off the ground. Plus, I'm around 5'11" so I get to a decent work height on my AT4 and Z71 with the platform. I think with the 4' max extension I should be able to get across the width of the roof and windshield??

My 16' total reach that I'm currently using (on my detail cart pic above) I originally bought to wash the outside house casement windows. No campers/motorhomes in my stable yet, lol. Unfortunately the highest ones are 15'+ off the ground easy. So I back up the Gator and stand in the bed to wash those high ones. I do the same trick as you, full extension then back off a tad, then twist to lock. It's a full aluminum pole, a bit heavy, but getting it unlocked is a pain. Especially after scrubbing Mega Foam on the upper windows. I'll try the silicone grease trick to help unlocking it.  All in all, it's a little clumsy for the vehicle washes to be honest.  I think I paid just under $60 for the 16' pole 9 years ago.

23 hours ago, Marshall said:

silicone grease

Hi Marshall, You won't want to use silcone grease, it just gets messy, especially when it gets hot, a small amount of Lithium grease, which I always get the white, seems to work best and you need very little.    The long pole is what I use for awnings, you put the awning out all the way and then you can stand back far enough to keep from getting soaked as you are brusing them and hitting them with the hose.

I do agree that the short pole is what I use the most and only when necessary as I also have a platform and can do all the standard vehicles from it, except the Suburban, where I just can't reach the middle even with the platform.

6 minutes ago, RayS said:

Hi Marshall, You won't want to use silcone grease, it just gets messy, especially when it gets hot, a small amount of Lithium grease, which I always get the white, seems to work best and you need very little.    The long pole is what I use for awnings, you put the awning out all the way and then you can stand back far enough to keep from getting soaked as you are brusing them and hitting them with the hose.

I do agree that the short pole is what I use the most and only when necessary as I also have a platform and can do all the standard vehicles from it, except the Suburban, where I just can't reach the middle even with the platform.

Very interesting on the silicone grease. Makes sense. My only experience with that grease is with O ring fittings on my pressure washer and Eley hose/reels. Lithium, Polyurea, and Molly greases we use extensively at our dealership and on our products. I've got white Lithium at work I can get for the extension pole.

I pulled a measure on top of my Z71 Tahoe and added a bit for my wash brush head. I should be able to get all of the roof with the Adams short pole. Shouldn't have to move my platform to do it either. But that's going to take all of the reach. Definitely a Suburban I'd have to move my platform. 

I could definitely see how the long reach pole is necessary on those larger camper awnings as well as washing the rig itself. There must be a trick to washing those awnings to avoid getting soaked?