Customer Service 866.965.0400

Denim

rrmccabe

Question

Has anyone buffed with denim ?

My LTZ has more orange peel on it than I would like on some areas. I am torn on trying to do something with it and I cant quite bring myself to go the traditional method of sanding and full paint correction  as I don't want to remove that much clear. Typically, I am OK with a little OEM peel but this is probably the worst vehicle I have owned. Its shiny and love the tintcoat color but would just like to flatten it a little before coating.

Thoughts on denim pads?

Rich

1 answer to this question

I bought a couple of these pads in denim that are essentially 2000 and 3000 grit.  I have always been a believer in leaving as much clear coat as possible when buffing and calling it good. Perfection on a daily driver comes at the expensive of longevity.

After a lot of research and threads full of arguments it appears that even thought the proper repair method at a body shop is to spray basecoat, tintcoat and clearcoat, GM actually just sprays basecoat and the the colored tintcoat when using robots at the plant. No regular clear on top.

That said, I think trying to level radiant red tintcoat on a daily driver probably isn't wise.  So I think its just going to get decontamination steps using clay and/or clay mitt, final polish step and then graphene.   I could probably get by without the polish but likely I will give it a once over anyway.

As I said, lots of arguments on GM red tintcoat but when someone that sets up the robotic paint kitchens for GM chimed in with some really good info, that changed my mind. 

I was going to use my normal Meguiar's "go to" but think I will give the Adams 1 step I have had sitting on the shelf a try.

20240724_163407.jpg