Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black trim issue

Brewder

Question

Hello - back in the fall of 2020, I ceramic coated my car with Adams Ceramic Graphene coating.  I did all the normal prep (strip, decom, one-step polish, etc, etc.)ain't .. The one mistake I made was not to properly protect the plastic around my windshield.... Now it looks like faded/gray/white crap.  It's definitely NOT sun damage, it's from the one step polish I'm sure.  As I was polishing the paint, I didn't take enough precautions with my plastic trim.  I know, rookie mistake...  To make matters worse, I most likely "sealed it in" with the ceramic coating.

Well, it looks like crap and now I want to fix it.  Any advice to get it restored?

//Brew

12 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Brewder said:

Is this some sort of coating or a dye?

It's a temporary dye, and can be locked in with Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating.

However, given your specific issues, I don't think Black Trim Restorer will work since sit has to soak into the trim to work properly and the coating is now blocking the pores. You could check out the Ceramic Black Trim Restorer which combines both a Coating and color restoration, and should last quite a bit longer than the Black Trim Restorer, but it may not bond well, either.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/ceramic-black-trim-restorer

Yeah I'm definitely going to try the T&R cleaner first... I have plenty of that stuff...  I know for certain the trim is (was) flawless before I hit it with the one-step polish and swirl killer...  so hopefully the T&R cleaner fixes it right up before I try any of those "dye/renewal" type products.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:22 AM, Brewder said:

Hello - back in the fall of 2020, I ceramic coated my car with Adams Ceramic Graphene coating.  I did all the normal prep (strip, decom, one-step polish, etc, etc.)ain't .. The one mistake I made was not to properly protect the plastic around my windshield.... Now it looks like faded/gray/white crap.

Well honestly I don't think this is your mistake and more of an Adams issue for showing improper use in their first graphene video. 

I have the same issue after several months. It looked fine at first but gets milky over time.  Adams video showed applying it to the trim and that you did not need to get in a hurry to wipe it down. This certainly is the incorrect method.

I have tried some Adams trim restore on my back bumper step and it appears to work fine, but don't know about the longevity of it.

Basically my entire truck needs done.

20210430_150212(0).jpg

20210430_155859(0).jpg

Thanks for sharing.  I definitely followed their first video.... but before I try the trim restorer, I'm going to try the tire and rubber cleaner..  I know the plastic under the milky messy was pristine so hopefully I didn't ruin it.  

I still haven't had some free time to get into it yet....  but will soon and post back.

I scrubbed the heck out of mine with tire and rubber cleaner and a stiff brush with no success.  Its really something you want to do before the trim restore anyway.

Unfortunately, the reviews on this site for the Trim restore longevity are not great.

My recommendation to anyone using Graphene would be to keep it off the trim regardless of what Adams says.