Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to Care for your Microfiber Towels

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

well ****... glad i read this but it was to late now...

ive always bought the microfibers from sams, but got that microfiber cleaner stuff from glimmer glass. washed them in the washer twice, then treated the towels twice with that cleaner stuff, all on hot water, then washed them again as long as the water was clear, and not dirty... followed by throwing them in the dryer.

but ive always used those microfibers for the waterless wash, and quick detailer. maybe need to order a few more waterless towels...

well ****... glad i read this but it was to late now...

ive always bought the microfibers from sams, but got that microfiber cleaner stuff from glimmer glass. washed them in the washer twice, then treated the towels twice with that cleaner stuff, all on hot water, then washed them again as long as the water was clear, and not dirty... followed by throwing them in the dryer.

but ive always used those microfibers for the waterless wash, and quick detailer. maybe need to order a few more waterless towels...

Well I can bet that you've probably trashed those towels. If you have a dark colored car, you will see micro thin scratches in the paint as you wipe across it with those towels (provided the paint is perfectly corrected). That's a tell-tell sign that you've ruined them. Hard to see on a light colored car.

Junkman,

I appreciate the info. But, your first post is a bit... er... how do I say this without sounding snotty... well it's sexist! There are plenty of women who detail cars and some of us read these forums. I said "ouch" when I read that last part: "If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up..." 'Nuff said on that.

Thanks for teaching all of us (men and women) how to detail our cars properly and how to take care of our supplies. :)

Edited by Darth_Emma

Junkman,

I appreciate the info. But, your first post is a bit... er... how do I say this without sounding snotty... well it's sexist! There are plenty of women who detail cars and some of us read these forums. I said "ouch" when I read that last part: "If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up..." 'Nuff said on that.

Thanks for teaching all of us (men and women) how to detail our cars properly and how to take care of our supplies. :)

:lol:

Busted and guilty as charged! You'll notice that I always start my videos off with a greeting to both the boys and the girls. I guess I will need to do my post the same way. Promise not to beat me too bad if we meet. I'm learning, thanks to good women like you! :thumbsup:

:lol:

Busted and guilty as charged! You'll notice that I always start my videos off with a greeting to both the boys and the girls. I guess I will need to do my post the same way. Promise not to beat me too bad if we meet. I'm learning, thanks to good women like you! :thumbsup:

Hehe! Yes I noticed the "boys and girls" in every video (I grin each time). Sorry, I don't mean to be overly touchy about it. My comment was meant all in good fun. I have watched so many of your videos (some several times) in the last week. You have really taken me back to school. You are going to cost me a fortune in detailing supplies for my new Camaro! I'll post some pictures when the weather warms up and I can wash it properly.

Thanks again! You rock.

Oh, and thank you for your service in the military!

Hehe! Yes I noticed the "boys and girls" in every video (I grin each time). Sorry, I don't mean to be overly touchy about it. My comment was meant all in good fun. I have watched so many of your videos (some several times) in the last week. You have really taken me back to school. You are going to cost me a fortune in detailing supplies for my new Camaro! I'll post some pictures when the weather warms up and I can wash it properly.

Thanks again! You rock.

Oh, and thank you for your service in the military!

No offense taken here! I got your drift. Welcome to the detailing disease! :lolsmack:

question; when washing microfiber towels, can I wash my supersplush mf towels with waterless wash towels? Or glass mf with superplush towels? I guess I'm asking can I mix them up or do they need to be separated. Thanks!

question; when washing microfiber towels, can I wash my supersplush mf towels with waterless wash towels? Or glass mf with superplush towels? I guess I'm asking can I mix them up or do they need to be separated. Thanks!

The problem with mixing them as I have found is that the super plush towels pick up every piece of lint in the wash if it is not from another super plush towel. Thus, I always wash them separately. The others can be washed together. God forbid you mess around and stick a bath towel in with a super plush towel. You will never get all the bath towel lint out of it.

I wash my all my microfiber together, no foreign materials (cotton, ect.) - microfiber only.. If I have a few heavily soiled towels I will put them aside and wash them separately.

The problem with mixing them as I have found is that the super plush towels pick up every piece of lint in the wash if it is not from another super plush towel. Thus, I always wash them separately. The others can be washed together. God forbid you mess around and stick a bath towel in with a super plush towel. You will never get all the bath towel lint out of it.

No, I won't throw anything else in the wash with it! I'll stick with like MF towels when I wash them. Thanks!

I wash my all my microfiber together, no foreign materials (cotton, ect.) - microfiber only.. If I have a few heavily soiled towels I will put them aside and wash them separately.

Thanks

What about the adam's glass towels, adam's great white drying towels and the waterless wash waffle towels? Can does be mixed with the blue microfiber towels? What about the new white microfiber towels?

Ok so blue MFT alone, white MFT alone and then the glass towel, great white drying towels and the waterless wash waffle towels can be mix, doesn't matter on color?

Edited by Oupavoc

This may have been answered on one of the other pages, but what can I use in place of Woolite? I'm trying to scramble to wash them tonight so I can clean the car quick tomorrow before I leave for a vacation.

I've also heard of using white vinegar to help rid everything of the soap. I'll read the rest of the thread now, just wanted to get this out there.

EDIT: Bleh, doesn't seem like I have anything here already that I can use, I'll have to get some Woolite sometime I guess.

Edited by berfles

... I've also heard of using white vinegar to help rid everything of the soap. I'll read the rest of the thread now, just wanted to get this out there...

Now if you want to "get it out there", make sure you put out good information. The white vinegar thing that you heard pertains to boiling the towels in order to get them back to their original plush and soft state. Of course, this only applies to REAL microfiber towels, not those combo thread junk towels sold at big box stores and over the counter auto stores. There's no help for those towels.

You can use another LIQUID type of detergent as long as it does not contain any type of fabric softener. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Now if you want to "get it out there", make sure you put out good information. The white vinegar thing that you heard pertains to boiling the towels in order to get them back to their original plush and soft state. Of course, this only applies to REAL microfiber towels, not those combo thread junk towels sold at big box stores and over the counter auto stores. There's no help for those towels.

You can use another LIQUID type of detergent as long as it does not contain any type of fabric softener. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

By "get it out there" I meant my question in hopes I'd get an answer before I sifted through all the threads, I didn't mean I was spreading info. I do know that what I read on Autopia and Meguiar's talked about putting it directly in the wash, in an extra rinse cycle, to make sure the soap was removed. I wasn't trying to say that's the way to do it though.

The removal of soap from your microfiber towels is the job of the washing machine, not vinegar. If you have to take extra measures to remove the soap, you are using too much soap.

I have never heard that vinegar can be used to perform that function. Logically, it doesn't make sense merely for the reasons that I stated above. My mom dragged me to the laundry mat since I was old enough to remember and I been washing clothing since, especially mine fine clothing and linen. Microfiber would fall in that category.

White Vinegar IS a great cleaner and WILL remove soap buildup. It's noted on several sites to use it in dishwashers, sinks, and tubs to remove soap build up.

Not tried it in the washer but I may be inclined to use it in the washer with warm water BEFORE putting any items in it incase it cleans the washer as well. Just a thought. Use ONE cup for a washer.

Chris

I know that white vinegar can be used to remove hard water stains, as in your iron, dish washer and such but the soap thing escapes me. I would like to see some technical data behind that one. I'm all about being able to prove the science behind my claims.

Well I googled it and while I don't believe one claim and perhaps two I do start believing when three sites say the same thing. I have no actual data or tech, but white vinigar has been used for years for a multitude of things. Like put a cup of it in your car overnight to get rid of some stank.