Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just picked a ton of Adam's stuff along with a

El Immigrante

Question

cheat sheet but I have a question regarding claying...

Adam's cheat sheet says that after you clay the entire car, not quick detail it and wipe off the clay film. It also doesn't mention anything about washing the car afterwards. Am I to assume that I just simply hit it with the swirl/haze and/or polish immediately afterwards?

I thought it went like this (just body of car):

-initial wash

-wipe down (not necessarily dry)

-clay

-wash

-spray detail

-dry completely

-swirl/haze or polish

-wax

-spray detail

done.

14 answers to this question

You can certainly wash again after claying, or you can leave the lubricant on the car and go directly over it with the swirl/haze remover and/or polish. the only time that removing residue is absolutely necessary is after polish and before wax. you want to make sure the surface is clean before laying down wax

You can certainly wash again after claying, or you can leave the lubricant on the car and go directly over it with the swirl/haze remover and/or polish. the only time that removing residue is absolutely necessary is after polish and before wax. you want to make sure the surface is clean before laying down wax

+1

But if I am taking the whole weekend to do my own car I will wash again, but either way will give great results. Remember in detailing there is no absolute 100% correct way to do it, read read read and work out a routine that makes you happy and gives the results you are looking for, after all it is YOUR ride, have fun !!!!

:pc::pc::pc::pc::pc:

Wash again IMO... the second wash shouldn't take long since you're really only doing areas that you clayed (paint and maybe glass) Its cheap insurance and only adds a little time to your routine.

Thnx ever1 for the advice. Im going to wash a second time for ins as dylan stated.

I clay with the soap still on the car ,the soap works as a good lube. Wipe your hand over panel first to make sure there is no grit,clay then rinse the car. If the car is real dirty I wouldn't advise this method ,also I wash in the garage out of the sun !

I did it this way...

-initial wash

-wipe down (not necessarily dry)

-clay

-wash

-spray detail

-dry completely

-machine polish

-machine wax

-spray detail

-wipe down

Now, my last show truck was stolen in '04...it was an '02 Lightning valued at close to 100k.

After it was stolen, I left the show car/truck scene and got into offroading and quads. I bought a new black Z71 Tahoe in '06 which was murdered out. In '07 I bought a black F250 4x4 crew cab which I also murdered out, lifted, etc. Since both these see the desert between September and May, I never bothered detailing them- too much work. So since '04, I had not used Adam's polishes, well, except the interior leather cleaner and conditioner...and spray detail which I would use on both trucks after a mobile guy would come out and wash them- along with the toy hauler and quads...yeah, I became lazy, so what?! :loser:

Well, I bought a new BMW 550i last week (white! :2thumbs:) and I was not about to neglect this "hot rod". So even though I had not chatted with Adam since like '03, I contacted my local dealer and picked up a ton of products to begin work on the 550.

Yes, I became rusty after not having detailed cars for so many years but I still had my PC in storage along with some old skool white pads! :D

I went to work at 6:30am (thank got it was gloomy in Sylmar today) and finished around 1pm. I took my time and only used the Polish as I tried that first and got good results. Next was wax with black pad.

Now, my Lightning had like 5-10 coats of Butter Wax and you couldn't place a towel on the hood because it would glide off. I didn't get the same results with the BMW this time around but I think that after another wash next week and another 1-2 coats of Machine Wax, I'll eventually work my way up to my old Lightning's finish. Now, that new Undercarriage Spray is awesome! I can't wait to use on the F250 and Tahoe! :pc:

....back into the mix of things and getting a little exercise while I'm at it! :party::party:

Oh and before the "This Thread is Worthless Without Pics" smilie comes up, my wife left for Monterey to visit her parents and took the digi with her. Next week pics will follow.

There's no reason to wash after claying unless your objective is to waste water and time. I don't want to do either so I just go at it after the clay with SHR and then polish and then wipe off and wax.

Montalvo,

That F250 will take some time to finish, but I bet you do it. I'd love to see the BMW! Great meeting you.

Bruce

Likewise.

Thanks for the advice all.

I'll post pics next weekend after the second/third coat of wax. Bruce, I may pick up a bottle of Butter Wax if I don't get the smooth finish with the machine wax.

funny cause i was going to start a thread like this because now that i have SOME room to work in my garage i was debating if its a so so day out quik wash and then put it in the garage and get working on it...but had the same questions if there was any need to wash the car after the initial wash