Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter washing

SumBeach35

Question

I am interested to hear what everyone does in the winter. I've seen the winter daily driver wash in the Adams videos but I wonder what other options are out there.

So what is your process, how often do you do it and do you have any environmental factors that you will or will not wash in?

Edited by SumBeach35

21 answers to this question

Had my Malibu in Syracuse last week and had to drive home through a nasty winter storm. The roads were covered with salt and my car was white with it by the time I got home. Sunday afternoon I took care of her. It was high 40's, drizzling, and windy (not nice out).

1.)Pressure Washer to remove as much as I could

2.)Foamed her down with 2oz of Car Shampoo in the Foam Cannon

3.) Leave the foam on for 5 minutes or so

4.) Pressure Washer to remove all the foam

5.) Watch the Steelers beat the Bengals

This time of year the cars usually get the minimum. Key is to have them prepped well for the winter weather ahead of time with a nice coat of Wax, Sealant, or the new Ceramic Paint Coating. When we get a mid winter thaw, or a nice day at 40 or above (and time permits) I'll do a full two bucket wash and clean the insides. Otherwise, the dailies will be fine until spring.

I am interested to hear what everyone does in the winter. I've seen the winter daily driver wash in the Adams videos but I wonder what other options are out there.

So what is your process, how often do you do it and do you have any environmental factors that you will or will not wash in?

Ummm, I may put on socks with my Crocs, and possibly a long sleeved t-shirt. :jester:  ....This our best time of year weather-wise.

If the car is covered in salt, I'll go to a coin-op to spray it off as much as I can.  Then I follow up with a Rinseless Wash in the garage with my scuba diving gloves and a space heater.  Works well, even if it's freezing outside.

If you keep the car indoors overnight, you can sneak a wash in with temps around 28 or 29, but not much less.  You can't waste much time, but it can be done and I do it all the time.  Layer up the clothes and as previously mentioned, scuba gloves work great.  Probably the best 30 bucks I've spent!  

If the car has sat out the night before, you simply can't do it.  Water (and soap) will freeze on contact even is you use warm water.  

Wash as normal in my shop. Everythings heated up here so no issues with temperatures.  

Unless you leave it outside shortly after your finished and all your doors freeze shut and you have a hard time getting back in.

I usually get to wash my DD atleast once a month.

Edited by FrozenWS6

If I can't do a proper wash, I don't wash.  If there's a heavy build up of dirt, I don't even think about a waterless wash. During the winter, I typically go through a touchless carwash, especially if we get snow, to knock off the heavy road salt and grime - no wipe down, just soap, rinse and blown dry.  This does a pretty decent job until a warm day to do a proper 2 bucket wash.  Since I usually polish and protect my vehicle just before winter, the touchless wash is ok until I can do proper wash.  

Edited by Methodical

Would I be too much of a jerk to rub it in that regardless of temperature, my heated and insulated garage (when I run it) hovers around 50-55? I built my house so got to design the garage at the time and completely designed the garage around washing indoors year round. I wash indoors in the summer as well cause washing in direct sunlight is just a big a no no as anything else. Long story short, winter has zero impact on my detailing ability since I wash indoors year round anyways; except I don't wax in winter. Hey...you asked!

Edited by galaxy

I'm in southwest PA and winters here are brutal.  No heated garage for washing either. I'm lucky that I'm retired and don't have to drive in the "crap" every day.  Before it gets too cold, I make sure the daily driver gets a good detail done inside and out and a good coat of sealant and wax. Washing the car only gets done maybe once a month if it gets above 45*.  I'm planning on doing it this week since it's supposed to get close to 50* on Thursday and I can be sure the driveway won't freeze after.  Right now it's only 11*.

I'll do a full wash with the foam gun and the Wash and Wax, detail spray dry, and Guard n Gloss. A bit of VRT on the tires and clean the glass and that's about it for the winter. 

I keep saying to myself........"only 70 more days till spring" . :huh:

Would I be too much of a jerk to rub it in that regardless of temperature, my heated and insulated garage (when I run it) hovers around 50-55? I built my house so got to design the garage at the time and completely designed the garage around washing indoors year round. I wash indoors in the summer as well cause washing in direct sunlight is just a big a no no as anything else. Long story short, winter has zero impact on my detailing ability since I wash indoors year round anyways; except I don't wax in winter. Hey...you asked!

Pics or it isnt true..  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by SumBeach35

If the car is covered in salt, I'll go to a coin-op to spray it off as much as I can.  Then I follow up with a Rinseless Wash in the garage with my scuba diving gloves and a space heater.  Works well, even if it's freezing outside.

If you keep the car indoors overnight, you can sneak a wash in with temps around 28 or 29, but not much less.  You can't waste much time, but it can be done and I do it all the time.  Layer up the clothes and as previously mentioned, scuba gloves work great.  Probably the best 30 bucks I've spent!  

If the car has sat out the night before, you simply can't do it.  Water (and soap) will freeze on contact even is you use warm water.  

link to the scuba gloves you purchased.  PM me if needed

I don't have anything in the pictures that specifically give away the washing capability, but it has; great lighting, water faucet in the garage that runs from the basement (warm water), insulated (including the doors), ceiling fan, 8' doors (most standard garage doors are 7').  Also, for water control, the floor is sloped to direct run off.  The front of the garage is 5"-6" higher than the door area.  The garage is paved down in a 3" curb all around the interior to prevent water from running up under the drywall.  30'x38'...or thereabouts.  There's not technically a "wash area" as the whole garage is a wash area.  I am very diligent about water hose discipline so I don't get everything soaking wet.  I can wash a vehicle in the garage with other vehicles and motorcycles in there and not get a drop of water on anything.

post-15305-0-33175000-1483922074_thumb.jpg

post-15305-0-70470500-1483922140_thumb.jpgpost-15305-0-68898800-1483922248_thumb.jpgpost-15305-0-44556200-1483922413_thumb.jpgpost-15305-0-16890600-1483922449_thumb.jpgpost-15305-0-03783200-1483922488_thumb.jpg

Edited by galaxy

Two methods for me so far.

1. If above freezing take to coin spray a few blocks away from home to spray down. There's always people waiting there and I need a step stool to reach across the top of one of the cars. So I drive home then do rinseless and HGG or detail spray in driveway. Clean wheels with rinseless. Haven't properly washed tires yet this winter. Sides have gotten wipe down with rag and leftover rinseless.

2. If it's below freezing, take to touchless wash close to father's house. Then bribe father with lunch or dinner to use his heated garage. Wait for car to warm a bit, while cleaning interior. Then Rinseless wash followed by HGG always, since I understand the chemicals in the touchless to be very harsh. Clean wheels and tires with leftover rinseless.

Not sure if these are really the best methods, but that's what has been working for me. This is my first winter not using an automated wash, so I'm still working out the kinks.

Would I be to much of a jerk to tell you that I wash my cars in the driveway year round? Here in socal, only rain will prevent me from washing the rides. But I do wish I had that garage of yours. Mine is an finished special with cracked concrete and no room to even get a car in to detail. Just crap stuffed in there, I do need to clean it out one of these days. 

Had my Malibu in Syracuse last week and had to drive home through a nasty winter storm. The roads were covered with salt and my car was white with it by the time I got home. Sunday afternoon I took care of her. It was high 40's, drizzling, and windy (not nice out).

1.)Pressure Washer to remove as much as I could

2.)Foamed her down with 2oz of Car Shampoo in the Foam Cannon

3.) Leave the foam on for 5 minutes or so

4.) Pressure Washer to remove all the foam

5.) Watch the Steelers beat the Bengals

This time of year the cars usually get the minimum. Key is to have them prepped well for the winter weather ahead of time with a nice coat of Wax, Sealant, or the new Ceramic Paint Coating. When we get a mid winter thaw, or a nice day at 40 or above (and time permits) I'll do a full two bucket wash and clean the insides. Otherwise, the dailies will be fine until spring.

All this but here let me help you and fix step 5,

5.) Watch the Patriots win the super bowl.