Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner & Detail Spray

PHILLIE PHANATIC

Question

I purchased DWC during the New Years sale, I haven't used it yet. Will this REMOVE any protectant , such as Machine Super Sealant or wax that's presently on them? I also used Adams Detail Spray for the first time, WOW ! Much better than the Meguiars I bought at Carlisle a few years ago (and I still have 1/2 of a gallon left).

8 answers to this question

The DWC will degrade the protectant on the wheels. However, if you have your wheels sealed and protected well, a majority of the brake dust should come off with just water from a hose. I personally don't use DWC. 1) because I don't have brakes that put off enough dust to warrant it and 2) it does degrade the protectant. I still have GWC, which I really like. However, CS mixed in a 36oz bottle with a foaming sprayer seems to work great as well. DWC has its place, just not in my arsenal with my current vehicles.

I use All Purpose Cleaner on my wheels and it does a fantastic job.  Use it on both the Cadillac and the Corvette.  And yes, the DWC will remove any other products on your wheels.  

APC is a great cleaner. I'd suspect it will also remove other products from the wheels similar to DWC.

On my car with carbon ceramic brake rotors I use neither APC or DWC unless the tire/wheel assemblies are removed from the car. For maintenance cleaning of the wheels I use 16:1 Car Shampoo in a spray bottle with a soft brittle wheel brushes.

^^^^ What Chris said. DWC is pH neutral just like our Car Shampoo. Yes, it's a fairly strong cleaner and will degrade the life of any protection on wheels like LPS, HGG, or Quick Sealant, but it shouldn't strip it off with one cleaning.

Since wheels are subject to a more harsh environment than painted surfaces due to brake dust and much higher temperatures from brakes, I always seal them more often than paint anyway. A few drops of LPS on a black microfiber applicator pad is plenty for me to put a coat on the spokes, then a few more drops to apply to the outer rim of a wheel :)

I only use DWC when wheels are fair to very dirty, which can happen often depending on brake pad compounds on your car. If it's a regular wash where the wheels aren't too bad, I will just use Car Shampoo.