Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage Flooring Experience (Swisstrax, etc)?

SCMedic

So we are building a new house that will be ready in February. We have a two car garage that I've been exploring some of the different flooring options for. It's roughly 20'x24', detached garage...I have a ton of ideas for some things I would like to do with it. But I was just curious about any fellow detailers who have experience with any of the flooring options.

I am kind of wanting to stay away from the epoxy flooring options.

I've gotten a quote on the Swisstrax, and it seemed very reasonable. About ready to pull the trigger...just looking for any pros/cons that anyone with experience has seen??

Thanks!!

I went with Racedek great USA made product with great customer service. Call Jennifer ( tell her that Chris Toth sent you) at Racedek and get a price from her before you buy.

Thanks Chris!!! I will do that!!!  How do items like jack stands, creepers, etc move across the FreeFlow tile from Racedeck??

Thanks Bruce,

I was trying to stay away from the epoxy floor, but garages I have seen with the epoxy floor look amazing!!  Just like yours...gorgeous.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost involved? Difficult prepping the floors yourself?

Thanks!!

Thanks Chris!!! I will do that!!! How do items like jack stands, creepers, etc move across the FreeFlow tile from Racedeck??

The only change that I made was I bought round bace jack stands. Everything else rolls and works fine. Also if you are a member of the forum garagejournal you will get a discount.

We like the Race Deck as well.  Thing I really like about it, when you drive a filthy, snow dripping car in the garage, the crud runs through it, instead of just sitting on the surface we step on before getting into and out of the vehicles.

So we are building a new house that will be ready in February. We have a two car garage that I've been exploring some of the different flooring options for. It's roughly 20'x24', detached garage...I have a ton of ideas for some things I would like to do with it. But I was just curious about any fellow detailers who have experience with any of the flooring options.

I am kind of wanting to stay away from the epoxy flooring options.

I've gotten a quote on the Swisstrax, and it seemed very reasonable. About ready to pull the trigger...just looking for any pros/cons that anyone with experience has seen??

Thanks!!

I went with Modutile..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw0YL-g_3JAhWKHD4KHUVRBJYQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modutile.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNEfmPVmeBxth-PeLF5egMJ9LvTRRQ

I rec'd samples from both racedeck and modutile. I liked racedeck better but not more than double the price better. 32x28 garage R/D was going to be $3600 plus. Modutile was $1600. Same material both made in the

USA

Here's a pic of mine...

FullSizeRender%205.jpg

20000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

22222222222222222222222222222222222222.j

Edited by bosco1

We like the Race Deck as well.  Thing I really like about it, when you drive a filthy, snow dripping car in the garage, the crud runs through it, instead of just sitting on the surface we step on before getting into and out of the vehicles.

Modutile has this style also. I used it some in my design. The Red and Black tiles are this type in my pictures. I went with the 'coin' style where I actually park my cars. These tiles are Gray in my pictures...

My floor stays pretty clean underneath, when I wash my cars the floor gets washed to. The FreeFlow is designed so water can flow under it. If I get a lot of winter junk underneath I can take out the center part where my truck sets drag it out in the driveway and clean it and the floor.....I do this once every couple years. No big deal.

Thanks Bruce,

I was trying to stay away from the epoxy floor, but garages I have seen with the epoxy floor look amazing!!  Just like yours...gorgeous.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost involved? Difficult prepping the floors yourself?

Thanks!!

Matt,

Thanks for the compliment. I spend a lot of time in aircraft hangars (aircraft designer) and like the clean uncluttered look of the floor. I had Garage Envy do the floors and the custom cabinets. That said, the prep wasn't bad, they brought in a huge grinder for surfacing, then took 3 days, one day was the base coat, one day was the color chips, then one day for the top coat. The workers were cool, and even did the mudsill which really gave it a finished look. I think the floor was around $3500 complete. I now have a little work pad area right by the bench.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the same situation, new build house and wanted something that would prevent the chalking and dust and look better than bare concrete. I did it myself with Valspar kits from Lowes for a total cost of around $300 -- normal dimension 2 1/2 car garage. Total process took about 4 days from etch, to application, to allowing enough dry time to put vehicles on it. It was a lot of work but I saved a lot of scratch too.

I don't have a quarrel with anyone who wants the decking, it looks terrific. I live in Texas so there is no snow, slush, etc, to get underfoot. My floor is super easy to sweep clean. I mop as needed with diluted APC and it looks like new.

I think I'm going to go take a look at Modutile one day during lunch. They're right down the street from the office. I would do all with the perforated tile. I like that I can move it with me and adapt it, should I ever be relocated. My parents have epoxy floor and when it gets wet, no matter my shoes, I start sliding. 

I might need to look into tiles for my garage as well.  I just moved in about 2 months ago and it turns out there is a low spot in the middle of the garage and all of the water that runs off the cars makes a big puddle right in the middle.  And since I park on the right, it's right where I get in and out of the car.  So I either need tiles or some kind of drainage system.

Even with a solution like RaceDesk or modutile, you guys don't just lay that over bare concrete, do you? It is so porous that if you don't coat it with something, everything that drips through the deck or the tiles is going to soak in and stain the concrete...

Even with a solution like RaceDesk or modutile, you guys don't just lay that over bare concrete, do you? It is so porous that if you don't coat it with something, everything that drips through the deck or the tiles is going to soak in and stain the concrete...

You won't see any stains through the tile however if you wanted to put a clear sealant to protect from salt that would be fine.....

Hey Chris. I notice you have a bendpak lift but it's not anchored down. How does

that work out. Was looking at the backyard buddy and was impressed with its freestanding capability. Also felt very sturdy compared to others. Just wasn't impressed with the price.