Customer Service 866.965.0400

White letters in or out?

ExpressThis13

Alright so it has been sometime since ive been here due to busy schedule and construction 1 block away detailing is just not happening for this guy. Anyway still driving my 13 ram and I am having new tires installed thursday and there is my problem. I went with factory size 275/60/20 Hankook Dynapro ATM. Truck is dark blue chrome clad wheels. Would you run white letters in or out? Ram from the factory came with goodyear tires white letters out but im torn between the 2 options. Friend says white letters out because it will help bring out the color of the truck and bring some attention to the chrome clad wheels. So I am looking for help from my fellow detailing enthusiats. Help me please.

20130707_185021_zpsad99ff17.jpg

20130817_173927_zpsd04859dc.jpg

Yea, I used to always have them out but over the past 6 to 8 years they have always been in. Well at least when they had white, I only purchase black now. Just my opinion on it. just remember it is your truck so do what you like best.

I'm old school and depending on the vehicle I like the white letters. They're more work, but on some cars they look good.  I like them on  your truck, but if you prefer the black, then put the black on. Either one looks good.  

I'm seeing more and more people on facebook and other car groups using white tire pens to paint the lettering on their race tires and even their daily driver tires, so it seems to be coming "back in style" so to speak. As Rich said, they're more work to keep looking white and not have them start to turn brown.

I guess one option you could do would be to mount them with the white lettering hidden on the inside, and then if you decide you want them, pick up one of those white tire pens and see how it works out for you. Personally, I think it would look cool either way...sorry I know that doesn't help your decision much!

I'm old school and depending on the vehicle I like the white letters. They're more work, but on some cars they look good.  I like them on  your truck, but if you prefer the black, then put the black on. Either one looks good.  

+1.  I went with white letters out on my truck, but wouldn't think of doing that on the Shelby.

post-9610-0-44501100-1446015539_thumb.jpg

i know this sounds strange but you can test it.  buy some black plasti dip (home depot carries it) and spray the white letters only on one tire and leave the other tire untouched with the white letters out.  See what you prefer.  after you are done, peel the plasti dip off.

I'm with pirahnah3, if it's a beefier white letter, probably would leave it out.  small lettering, in.

Easiest ways to keep them white..........Bleche Wite (used to be Westley's now made by Black Magic), Brillo pad.  That's what I always used in the past. 

In the absence of a comparable Adam's product, this is my go to as well.

What did you end up doing abou the letters?

My opinion is you just have to look see how they look.  In the past I have placed (not mounted) one tire with letters out and one without then stood back and looked.   Then told the person how to mount them on the truck.  Norton has a great pic of the Toyota with white letters out (look how great those letters look with those tires).

• 3 weeks later...

SOS Pads work great along with this also.

They help out on lots of projects around the house besides pots and pans in the kitchen.

For cleaning:  I grew up with whitewalls and usually a white circle around the tires.  My dad always used comet and a brush.   It would make them shine and was inexpensive. 

Feets31 do not remind me of those days you will start telling our age.