Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help with my Newbie Shopping List

RickF

Question

I have a 95 F150 that is in really decent condition, was kept in a barn the last several years. The paint is ok however it has scratches from improper washing and some etching from hard water. I own a Porter Cable 7424 and had tried using other products in the past with disappointing results. My plans are to purchase the following:

Detail Spray & Clay Bar Combo

Pad & Polish Kit  (I want the 7" for the Porter Cable, right?)

Do I want to follow up with the paint sealant or the H2O Guard and Gloss? 

My F150 is not a daily driver, it comes out on the weekends and may see some rain, but will not be driven in snow and salt. 

A couple of other questions, I watched the videos and it gives speeds for the Cycle machine, but not for a Porter Cable, what speeds for the paint correcting and paint finishing?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I buy the right stuff, I've already wasted a ton of money on other products that didn't work. 

Thanks for the help!

4 answers to this question

I run my PC at 5 for polishing.  Not sure what that kit includes but make sure you get some microfiber polishing pads.

Your choice on the sealant.  Liquid Paint Sealant will last much longer (up to 6 months) but HGG is easier and quicker to apply.

Good luck!

I would go with both the HGG and the LPS. Apply the LPS after correction, then maintain it with the HGG. You could even go QS or with Buttery wax and HGG. I would definitely get HGG regardless. It is probably the easiest way to apply paint protection.

That kit is perfect Rick.  Call in your order and ask if they will swap out the white MF pad for a additional orange MF pad.  I would also suggest adding a 2nd orange foam pad and 2nd white foam pad.  These things take a day or so to dry (the white pads can take longer), so it is always advisable to have a spare.  I use at least 2 cutting pads per car.  

The MF pads are a great way to add more cutting power to the PC.

That kit is perfect Rick.  Call in your order and ask if they will swap out the white MF pad for a additional orange MF pad.  I would also suggest adding a 2nd orange foam pad and 2nd white foam pad.  These things take a day or so to dry (the white pads can take longer), so it is always advisable to have a spare.  I use at least 2 cutting pads per car.  

The MF pads are a great way to add more cutting power to the PC.

Thanks Michael, I did exactly what you suggested. I can't wait to get started!