Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel barrel adhesive removal and protection

Guest washemup

Question

Guest washemup

In the next week or two, I'm going to be removing my wheels to paint the hubs and calipers. I've already seen what Deep Wheel Cleaner does for the wheel barrels, so while paint is drying, I plan to get to all parts of the wheel barrels with DWC,  Adams wheel woolie, and Adams trim/lug brush to remove every bit of brake dust possible.

I have a few places where the wheel weight adhesive was left on by prior owner, after tires were changed and balanced. I would like to remove this, I have Goo Gone Pro Power, will this work with a plastic razor blade? (Never did this before)

Also plan to do Claying/ Liquid Paint Sealant on rims. My car is a 2012 Camaro SS with stock factory clear coated wheels.

I'm assuming the barrels aren't clear coated like the wheels are? They are black in color when clean (the barrels). Due to the black color I'm assuming they are painted?

Since I'll have full access to the barrels, can Liquid Paint Sealant be used on them as well, or should I used a different LSP?

3 answers to this question

I would use Quick Sealant over LPS on wheels. It seems to handle the heat and abuse better.

For the wheel weights a plastic razor and goo gone should work well.

I found that any really deep embedded stuff on wheels I've had to clay with DWC. That seems to work REALLY well.

Even if the wheels are just painted on the barrels you should be fine. Treat it the same as a clear coat.

Guest washemup

Thanks, will do multiple quick sealant applications for wheels. 3 light coats spaced 45 minutes apart per coat should do?

So to clarify your using DWC as your lubricant when claying for deeper pitting of brake dust?  

Medium or fine grade clay? 

Edited by washemup

Thanks, will do multiple quick sealant applications for wheels. 3 light coats spaced 45 minutes apart per coat should do?

So to clarify your using DWC as your lubricant when claying for deeper pitting of brake dust?  

Medium or fine grade clay? 

I would just do one normal application of quick sealant. Make sure you spread it around then wipe off any excess. I am getting 3-4 months out of it. Afterwards you can maintain with just car wash shampoo. Brake dust just kinda falls off with minimal work.

Yes, in regards to the DWC I am using that for a lubricant when claying for deeper brake dust pitting. I wish I would have grabbed pics the last time I did this but my gloves were covered in DWC.

Fine grade clay from Adam's is what I am using. Less chance of marring and having to come back and polish.