Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weird gunk on interior plastic

dirtymarcus

Question

So my wife recently bought a 2003 Golf GTI.  After come repairs, we finally had time to give the car a complete detail.  The car cleaned up nice and luckily the leather has been treated well over its lifetime.  Anyhow, we've had one issue. 

Some of the plastic interior pieces were tacky/sticky.  I figured something had gotten spilled.  But it was on parts of the interior that would be pretty hard to get liquid on.  Anyways, we sprayed the plastic with the interior cleaner, scrubbed it down and it never really came off.  I have never seen an interior with this issue.  I'd take a picture but it doesnt show well so there's no point. 

Anyways, I have no idea how to clean this off.  My wife ended up picking at one part of the center console and the stuff started coming off.  But theres a good 3 panels like this including part of the center console.  Like I said, the interior cleaner didnt work (we tried it multiple times) and realistically, picking it clean isnt an option.  Is there anything else we can spray on the plastic to try and remove this?  FWIW the interior panels are black.  I suspect one of the previous owners smoked in the car. 

13 answers to this question

Unfortunately I believe what us happening is the interior plastic/ soft touch pieces are breaking down from age. Replacement is really the only option.

You can look here https://stickynomore.com

Noooooo!  You may be right as its only a certain type of plastic in the car thats doing it.  I'll still try the all purpose first, not really wanting to replace the interior of this car.

Do you have access to a steamer? If it is actually dirt/grime then a steamer should work pretty well.

We do have a steam cleaner for carpet, not sure if that would work.  BTW, I just sold my 9th gen corolla.  That was such a great car, I had 145k on her and she still ran great.  No leaks, didnt burn oil, no trans issues.  Were you ever on the 9thgencorolla forum back in the day?

BTW, I just sold my 9th gen corolla. That was such a great car, I had 145k on her and she still ran great. No leaks, didnt burn oil, no trans issues. Were you ever on the 9thgencorolla forum back in the day?

I read that forum but never posted in it. Mine is an '03 with 106k miles on it now. My uncle has a '06 with ~275k miles on it (thats not a typo) and it still runs like a champ!

I had a 2000 vw Jetta I sold in 2006. The soft touch plastic does peel off. If you peel it off it's nice black plastic underneath which can be dressed.

Dang, was hoping to not have to peel this stuff lol.  Guess the wife has a project on her hands haha.  Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I believe what us happening is the interior plastic/ soft touch pieces are breaking down from age. Replacement is really the only option.

You can look here https://stickynomore.com

I'm willing to bet its the soft touch pieces coming apart. Worst part about late 90's/early 2000's VAG cars. Possibly more annoying than doing turbos on a 2.7TT.

I'm willing to bet its the soft touch pieces coming apart. Worst part about late 90's/early 2000's VAG cars. Possibly more annoying than doing turbos on a 2.7TT.

Nothing is more annoying than doing a 2.7TT turbos.  Unless you have a 2000 B5 S4.  C5 A6's at least have a bit of room to work LOL

OP, if you pop the pieces off, just get a non-abrasive 3M pad so it has some bite, and use some 91% alcohol, or simple green, to remove the peeling soft touch plastic.  Then you are left with smooth plastic you can dress like the rest of your interior.

If you'd like to make them "soft touch" again, clean them up perfectly and have sprayed with Black Plasti-dip, it comes to 99% the same texture after a few coats.

Nothing is more annoying than doing a 2.7TT turbos.  Unless you have a 2000 B5 S4.  C5 A6's at least have a bit of room to work LOL

I had a C5 A6... we did it in about 12 hours in the driveway. Dropped the subframe down a bit and snuck them in without having to pull the engine and trans. My buddy does a couple a month in the shop he owns. He has it down to a science.

The CC may have a worse job to do than 2.7TT turbos... Oil pump bolt issue. They moved the oil pump to behind the transmission on the 3.6's

OP, if you pop the pieces off, just get a non-abrasive 3M pad so it has some bite, and use some 91% alcohol, or simple green, to remove the peeling soft touch plastic.  Then you are left with smooth plastic you can dress like the rest of your interior.

If you'd like to make them "soft touch" again, clean them up perfectly and have sprayed with Black Plasti-dip, it comes to 99% the same texture after a few coats.

This works pretty well as long as the interior is black.

I had this happen to my '03 Corvette Z06. Not sure what causes it but it was disgusting. I dealt with it for years and finally did some research on it. It is a very long and nasty process but I got it out...

I've seen what you had on your VW (and audis) so it's worth a look. this thing was horrible disgusting. Worse than what you had on you. Try on a small area. 

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2940129-sticky-air-bag.html

Thanks for all the responses.  You guys are correct, its that soft plastic stuff peeling.  We are ordering some replacement stuff but only broken pieces.  I will try the 3M pad first and go from there.