Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tested my Cyclo... Question

PT3

Question

So I tested out the Cyclo today, did half of my hood. I put an 'X' of Finish Polish on the white foam pads, and them gave each pad a spray of DS.

Spread the product out over half the hood, then started on level 4-5.

However, the product seemed to dry out / flash very quickly. I even added a couple drops more on each pad about half way through. I wasn't in the direct sun. I did this around 7 when then sun was down behind trees. I also first wiped down the hood with Rinseless and then clayed with Rinseless spray mix.

Comsidering my space gray color, I was also not really easy to see the product on the hood, so maybe I just THOUGHT it dried/flashed quicker than expected.

Also, when removing the polish with a double soft, it was not slick at all! Is that normal?

Finally, when finished, I couldn't see any difference between the side of the hood I did vs the side I didn't touch.

I guess this is when a detail clinic would help me.

15 answers to this question

Phil how was your lighting? Did you have a swirl finder or halogens nearby? This helps a ton when trying to find progress of correction on midtoned paints.

Also I've found success with the Cyclo and foam pads by placing an X as you did but further spreading the product around with my hand on the face of the pad (detailing gloves are handy here). This will ensure that most of the pad that touches the paint has polish as an interface.

Placing an X then proceeding to use a couple of drops for half a hood is quite a bit of product, try to step it back a notch and reactivate dry polish on the pad with a spray of Detail Spray.

Lastly, cannot stress the importance of a test panel. Work a smaller section and see the results. You may have to work in smaller sections throughout the car or step up to orange foam (or MF) with PCP to achieve a faster level of cut before the final polish. Smaller sections will also prevent drying as the section is always being worked as opposed to half a hood at a time.

Hope this helps.

Phil how was your lighting? Did you have a swirl finder or halogens nearby? This helps a ton when trying to find progress of correction on midtoned paints.

Also I've found success with the Cyclo and foam pads by placing an X as you did but further spreading the product around with my hand on the face of the pad (detailing gloves are handy here). This will ensure that most of the pad that touches the paint has polish as an interface.

Placing an X then proceeding to use a couple of drops for half a hood is quite a bit of product, try to step it back a notch and reactivate dry polish on the pad with a spray of Detail Spray.

Lastly, cannot stress the importance of a test panel. Work a smaller section and see the results. You may have to work in smaller sections throughout the car or step up to orange foam (or MF) with PCP to achieve a faster level of cut before the final polish. Smaller sections will also prevent drying as the section is always being worked as opposed to half a hood at a time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately my garage is not a space I can use to work on my car... So no access to halogen lights.

I think the other challenge is my paint is in pretty good shape as is. And with no obvious swirls, scratches, etc... I'm just trying to dial up the depth, shine and gloss.

Your other points are well taken and I will heed your advice. Thanks.

^this. And Phil it's not going to be phenomenally slick after polishing until you apply LPS. When you are wiping down polish residues you basically have bare paint.

got it.  kind of what I thought.  appreciate you confirming!

Heat will also cause polish to dry fast. Since it was on the hood I have to ask, did you run the engine prior to polishing that day?

Hood is generally the hottest panel followed by the front fenders if you drove the vehicle that day.

I usually let my paint cool down before washing if I drove that day and sometimes after sitting with 2 hours with the hood popped and fans on in the garage it will still be hot. So its very possible if you ran it 1-4 hours prior to polishing that it may have still been hot.

Edited by Kingsford

Heat will also cause polish to dry fast. Since it was on the hood I have to ask, did you run the engine prior to polishing that day?

Hood is generally the hottest panel followed by the front fenders if you drove the vehicle that day.

I usually let my paint cool down before washing if I drove that day and sometimes after sitting with 2 hours with the hood popped and fans on in the garage it will still be hot. So its very possible if you ran it 1-4 hours prior to polishing that it may have still been hot.

I did drive it about 2 hours before polishing. You may be right. I'll test in a different panel today.

Also you were working half the hood at once? Might want to break it down into 1/4's. The larger the area the longer the polish has time to dry up between passes, especially if you are dealing with warm panels.

Work a smaller area at a time. 2 foot x 2 foot sections is the general rule of thumb.