Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastic bottles failing after awhile?

It happened twice now, I lost a full bottle of APC and a half full bottle of leather and interior cleaner. The interior cleaner had been on the shelf for about a year when the bottle cracked at the bottom and the product escaped.

The APC had been in the bottle for about 2 months and the same thing happened.

Anyone lese noticed that?

I guess I'am one of the lucky ones.  I have been using Adams products since around 2002-2003 now and have never had one fail.  Your better off contacting them directly at 1-866-965-0400.  I'am sure they will make it right.  I know some have had the issues your experiencing.  

Dylan talked about this recently, LIC has basically a pH of 13 so over time it eats the bottles and occasionally they do crack.  They may look into improving it in the future.

In the meantime hit up the team they will take care of you.  Personally I'd get them to send me 16 oz in the 36 oz bottle (HDPE plastic, more forgiving), and just dilute 1:1 with water.  Even at 1:1 it should be plenty powerful enough to clean interiors

I've only had 1 crack on me, an old 16oz APC after sitting through a frozen winter.  Small crack on the bottom.

It's kind of a give and take with plastic.  I actually like the stiffer clear plastic that they use for the bottles now even if it's a small risk of cracking.  The other option is the plastic like the DWC bottle that's less likely to crack but "sucks in" from pressure.

I prefer the stiff clear bottles.

Only had 1 bottle crack on me, a 16 oz Leather and Interior Cleaner.

Adam's was great and replaced the bottle for me, another reason why they have great customer service. 

I've never had a bottle crack but I believe APC and Leather and Interior Cleaner are very strong if not diluted which could cause bottle to be brittle. I dilute both of those products and have had the same bottles for 5-6 years now.

Edited by Kingsford

• 4 weeks later...

It happened to me too! The APC trashes the sprayer head and it gets stuck, its quite frustrating. The 16 oz bottle was left on a workbench and leaked all over the place with some yellow goo. It was a real nasty mess after the product soaked into other items and dried.

To be honest here, PET (1) plastic is not very reliable as most larger containers are made from HDPE (2) plastic. Refillable spray bottles from a commercial cleaning store are typically the softer plastic and more forgiving related to deterioration and abuse.  

Yes I've had several problems with Adams bottles cracking.. Always at the bottom seams with leather Interior cleaner and all-purpose cleaner. Ive had Adams replace the first product and didn't want to contact them about the second because I had it for a few years already.

Hope the Adams team comes up with better plastic to use for these products in the future.

A bit of advice guys - if you aren't using a 16oz bottle of APC in a years time and it sits, transfer back to the gallon or purchase one of the HDPE dilution bottles for longer term storage. I never have issues with it b/c I'm exhausting the 16oz bottle every few cars. The PET don't make ideal storage long term for more aggressive cleaners which is why the gallons (Which would take longer to use up) are HDPE.

• 6 months later...

A bit of advice guys - if you aren't using a 16oz bottle of APC in a years time and it sits, transfer back to the gallon or purchase one of the HDPE dilution bottles for longer term storage. I never have issues with it b/c I'm exhausting the 16oz bottle every few cars. The PET don't make ideal storage long term for more aggressive cleaners which is why the gallons (Which would take longer to use up) are HDPE.

Bringing this back. 

After much searching on the site, it appears the only products that you really need to watch out for in the PET bottles is the APC, MFBR, and the LIC.  Is this correct?  What about the DWC? or Glass cleaner? Carpet and upholstery?

I am a 1 vehicle weekend warrior and don't see myself flying through these products, but also don't want to pour out a 16oz bottle into a gallon jug each time to ensure I don't get any cracked bottles.  I would assume the PET bottles are ok for Detail Spray, shampoo and wash products as well as the lotion type products.

Thanks for any additional advice, and as always, great products and service.

You won't get a cracked bottle that easily so don't overthink it too much- the PET bottles are fine with everything but MFR, APC (long term of a year+ without use), and maybe long term on the LIC.  All the other chemicals are fine including DWC (pH neutral), Glass Cleaner, etc.

The Team stands behind the products and packages so if you ever did get a cracked bottle call them up.

You won't get a cracked bottle that easily so don't overthink it too much- the PET bottles are fine with everything but MFR, APC (long term of a year+ without use), and maybe long term on the LIC.  All the other chemicals are fine including DWC (pH neutral), Glass Cleaner, etc.

The Team stands behind the products and packages so if you ever did get a cracked bottle call them up.

Agreed! I've had Leather Cleaner in the same bottle since I bought it back in 2010. The bottle is fine, I've gone through a few spray heads but the bottle is fine. Just like anything else though, if you drop something on the floor it will compromise it's integrity.

Off topic but a similar comparison. Did you know that if a carabiner used for rappelling is dropped (from any height) it is to no longer be used? True story, because under a microscope it develops tiny cracks that can cause it to fail. It looks fine to the regular eye but up close it is damaged.

Same thing is true for plastic bottles. If you drop it, it will develop small cracks and eventually fail, it could be from a combination of dropping it and the chemical, it could just be from the drop or it could just be from the chemical. Nothing is built to last any more and nothing ever built will last forever.

Edited by Kingsford

Off topic but a similar comparison. Did you know that if a carabiner used for rappelling is dropped (from any height) it is to no longer be used? True story, because under a microscope it develops tiny cracks that can cause it to fail. It looks fine to the regular eye but up close it is damaged.

interesting.  the carabineers I use for my bowhunting harness are dropped all the time.  maybe I should be more careful with them.

Thanks for the info guys.  I am an engineer so by default I am always overthinking/overanalyzing everything. 

Glad I don't have to go out and but a whole bunch of bottles, as I really like the shape/size/feel of the 16oz adams bottles and I really like the sprayer heads.

I wish you could get 16oz HDPE bottles... I may be the minority but I like the spray heads on the 16oz bottles. I've contemplating pulling a Dan "The Wolf" and just upgrade everything I fill from a gallon to a 32oz bottle. 

Do it. You won't regret it. Everything I use frequently (DS, APC, WW, APC 1:1) is in a Kwazar Bottle. I know most people don't like the Kwazers because they are fragile but I've had mine for 2-3 years and have had no issues. 

Regardless if I didn't have the Kwazers I'd have something similar in a 32-36oz bottle.

I actually love the 1L Kwazar bottle for my foam cannon (bottle portion only) because I can put it down and it stands up and its tough heavy duty plastic.  the 16 oz bottles are fine and ever since they switched to the black sprayers that were the heavier duty Mixor the reliability has been better, those old low profile spray heads never lasted worth anything.

Btw Jason, I totally believe that a carabiner would need to be thrown out, same as a motorcycle helmet - I learned that in my beginner rider class years ago and I am extremely careful not to drop my helmet when I go on rides places - If you technically drop it, the inner liner has taken "impact" and helmets are meant to be one impact only items.  I wouldn't screw around if I dropped it and try to keep it, I would buy another one.  Also, motorcycle helmets are really only rated for about 5-6 years (don't quote me but its something like that) before the internals have degraded enough to where it isn't guaranteed to protect in an impact.

With my dome, I don't mess around.