Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl marks removal on Opticoated vehicle?

landshark

Question

I have a customer who's car had been opticoated.  He stated he isn't happy with the result (may be due to poorly applied?), and saw a lot of swirl marks on his car.  He wants me to correct them.  

First, is it easy to remove the coating using machine polish?  

I was thinking to use the Paint Correction with Orange pad as a quick one step polish for him.  But on a second thought, I'm guessing a single pass one step probably isn't enough for both removing the coating & swirl correction.

The car in question is a Subraru Royal Blue BRZ.  

Thanks in advance guys!  :)

4 answers to this question

You can polish the coating which will abrade it down some using Paint Correcting polish, you may be able to level the swirls out just with a polishing pad and Finishing polish however.

What has his wash/maintenance regimen been like since it was applied?  Did he have OCPro applied or the 2.0/Gloss Coat done by DIY?

If he got Pro applied at a certified installer there is a regimen he is supposed to follow.

I'd say removing OC with PC polish and a Flex is doable, may take you some time though and a couple passes.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

If it was a pro job the 'installer' (assuming they're legitimate) is required to fix it.

Theres also the question of whether the proper prep was done and the swirls are under the coating (in the paint) or if the coating itself was swirled (which can happen).

Long story short - the only way to really remove most coatings are heavy solvents which won't be easy to get access to, or to abrade (polish) it from the surface.

Ok, so it sounds like if the swirl is on the coating (not incorrect prep work prior coating apply), I could just using the Paint Correcting + orange pad to polish them out.  But if it's under the coating (improper prep work), then I'd better tell him I'm not going to correct them.  

Ok, so it sounds like if the swirl is on the coating (not incorrect prep work prior coating apply), I could just using the Paint Correcting + orange pad to polish them out.  But if it's under the coating (improper prep work), then I'd better tell him I'm not going to correct them.  

No. if you polish the coating you will abrade it away pretty quickly.

1) Find out if the coating has a scratch in it, or if it is under the coating

2) If it is under the coating then find out if a pro applied it, if a pro applied it then it should be under warranty to have fixed. If it was a DIY or not done by a certified place then I would say take a stab at it.

3) If the coating is scratched then it is likely the owner of the car's doing, either wrong washing methods, or something dragged along the roof.

Fixing it will require polishing and recoating that panel or area of the car.