Customer Service 866.965.0400

Did I ruin my polishing pad?

Frogman

Question

Hi All,

Just a little background: I have been polishing/correcting paint for several years as a side hobby so I'm not a complete noob :D. Recently, I started polishing my black car with my Flex DA Polisher using the Adam's Finishing Polish and white pad. I did the rear bumper and several rear panels on my car and was getting great results with a mirror like finish. The paint is in pretty decent condition, with only mild surface swirls from washing/dusting the vehicle over the past year. After polishing for most the evening, I decided to call it a night and took my pad inside to wash it for use for the next day. I have always used a little bit of dish soap to help clean the pad with a pad brush. I think I accidentally used the wrong dish soap this time though. When I started to polish again the next day, I noticed that the polishing pad was introducing new very fine swirl marks into the paint. The only thing I can figure is that I must have grabbed the wrong dish soap. I checked the dish soap and it is the kind that has those small, spherical abrasive particles in it. This is the only thing I can figure considering it is the only thing that has changed in my regiment over the past 2 days. I tried washing it again with just water and it is still doing it. I am thinking I will need to buy a new pad. Does this sound likely that those abrasive have become lodged in the pad and that is what is causing the fine swirl marks?

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

I have never used dish soap to wash my pads. But it sounds like you could be spot on as the tiny particles can easily get embedded into your pad. For me I usually wash my pads with some Adams APC and mild water. I generally repeat the process 2-3 times depending on how dirty they are.

I recommend getting 2 pads instead of just one.  You never know when you may drop one or hit some nastiness on the car.  You can clean them a little on the fly, but not remove heavy contamination.  

I spray mine with APC, put them in the bucket with some water, drop the Grit Guard on top of them to keep the pads submerged, and spin the lid on the bucket.  I leave them until the next day (or several days sometimes) and that soaking helps remove polishes and sealants.    

I went out and bought several pads today from a local Adam's dealer. He details professionally and he said he has had great results using the microfiber rejuvenater spray from Adams to clean his pads quickly. He also recommended the all purpose cleaner like others have mentioned.