Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing what looks to be an excellent condition car

Z06Seal

Question

ok, so the corvette is here and I've checked out the paint... Except in a few spots (mainly roof) the paint appears to be 100% swirl and scratch free. It really looks like the best condition it could be in...

Got me thinking if a polish is even necessary...

What can a polish like the paint finishing polish offer to a car that already looks really good from the factory as far as non existence of any imperfections?

I'm thinking I dawn wash the car, clay the it, skip polish and go right to seal/wax/glaze... help me out here... is there a need? will it make the paint 'pop' more (which I don't think is the purpose of a polish)?

It's actually clean enough to even do a rinseless wash, but I'm going to give it a dawn wash just incase there is some stuff left over from the factory?

I guess my first post was "too long, didn't read the whole thing" because I mentioned NOT using Dawn dishwashing soap as well :)

I'm also surprised no one else in here is telling you to wait a bit before applying LPS or Buttery Wax.  If the car was just assembled on Feb 23rd, unless I knew without a doubt that those panels were painted and cleared quite some time before it rolled down the assembly line, I would still be waiting a few weeks to apply any type of sealant or wax on the car, but that is just my personal opinion.  It might even say something in the Owner's Manual under one of the maintenance sections.  You've waited this long for the car, you can wait another week or two, right? ;)

The short explanation is that the clear need to outgas correctly, which is why most professional painters say to wait 30 or even 45 days before applying any type of product that is designed to seal the paint - they are just following the recommendations of the paint manufacturer and covering their work from any potential defects.

No, I read it... When I replied and talked about dawn, I didn't feel I need to quote everyone about it. I already washed it last night with adam's blue shampoo. I couldn't stand driving it around slightly dirty since I have instructions not to have the car cleaned.

I thought about the wait, but my research showed the panels are actually made before (so maybe a week?). Also apparently they are baked on, and there is a slightly diff process for cars that are brand new

Emir I wish you were closer and/or I was less busy, or we would knock this out in a few hours!  A couple of test spots to see if the PFP adds any gloss under the halogen lights.  Then do the whole car or just move on to the LSP.  

Emir I wish you were closer and/or I was less busy, or we would knock this out in a few hours!  A couple of test spots to see if the PFP adds any gloss under the halogen lights.  Then do the whole car or just move on to the LSP.  

I wish! Would be nice splitting the car up and you could show me some pointers. I'll wake up tomorrow early and start the steps. I'll get to see how the flex compares to a PC too. 

You'll get to see how I did in a few weeks!

No, I read it... When I replied and talked about dawn, I didn't feel I need to quote everyone about it. I already washed it last night with adam's blue shampoo. I couldn't stand driving it around slightly dirty since I have instructions not to have the car cleaned.

I thought about the wait, but my research showed the panels are actually made before (so maybe a week?). Also apparently they are baked on, and there is a slightly diff process for cars that are brand new

Ok sorry man, I was just trying to be goofy with the dawn thing...doesn't always get conveyed correctly over a keyboard :)

I wasn't even thinking about body panels being baked now, and the more I think about it, I had a front bumper repainted back in 2006 and the paint shop baked it too...just slipped my mind.

I saw your other thread about using OnStar to watch the travel route of the car carrier...awesome!  Can't wait to see more pictures when it's fully detailed  :bow:

well I was hoping on doing it outside the garage so I had more room to move around, but thanks to florida, it's a rain/drizzle day today... 

I'll be getting to work in a few minutes here.

I would never use Dawn or any dish soap on my paint. They are not intended or made to be used on your vehicle. Instead I could suggest combining Adams APC with some car shampoo. I use a citrus blend. On that note does anyone know if Adams will ever offer a citrus based shampoo for decontamination?

I would never use Dawn or any dish soap on my paint. They are not intended or made to be used on your vehicle. Instead I could suggest combining Adams APC with some car shampoo. I use a citrus blend. On that note does anyone know if Adams will ever offer a citrus based shampoo for decontamination?

Possibly, but since you can add APC to the Car Wash Shampoo to do the same thing it seems like an extra product to keep track of.