Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter questions

Ironterp

Question

Just a few questions I had regarding driving in winter weather. First off, I happened to get caught in some pretty heavy sleet driving home one evening last week and I was wondering if you guys think sleet would be abrasive enough to cause any sort of damage to the finish?

Second, I tried to avoid driving when the roads are salty as much as I can but this winter it has been almost impossible because they dump loads of salt on the roads if there is even a hint of inclement weather. Will having salt on the surface cause any damage if left on for a week or so at a time? It would be really impractical to clean my truck after every time I drove on salty roads because it's usually only a couple days before having to do it again. However I don't want to cause any severe damage from the salt.

I do have a coat of Americana on the paint and quick sealant on the wheels and front end.

18 answers to this question

As far as your first part, I ran into some sleet last week on my way home from work. Came home washed the car and checked the paint with a light. Didn't see any damage done to the vehicle.

Now for the second part, I have the same issue with the state trucks dumping loads of salt on the roads. It's impossible to avoid most of the time. Keeping salt off the car helps in the long run, it has to go through a coating, a sealant and/or wax (if they have been applied to vehicle) and of course into bare metal to have an effect. Your best protection right now would be to wash vehicle really good, clay bar and apply sealant to the paint. The longevity of sealant is much longer and much more durable in the winter than wax. I'd recommend 2 applications of sealant just to be on the safe side of protection. One is good and will last but 2 gives me that extra assurance that the paint is protected. The quick sealant you have applied to the wheels is a plus.

If you haven't heard or done so already, do what's called a rinseless wash on your vehicle once or twice a week. I try to rinseless wash my vehicle twice a week. Best thing to do before a rinseless is take vehicle to nearest pay n' spray car wash knock off all the big chunks of ice in fenderwells and salt. Then if you have a garage, park it in the garage and start your rinseless wash. You can also do a rinseless outside I've done it a few times in 30 degree weather. If you need anymore info on a rinseless just ask or I'm sure if anyone else catches sight of this topic they will chime in. Lots of people here that will point you in the right direction and/or give you some tips.

Edited by SJC96GT

I live in SW Pa and all it does here is snow and crap weather.  Best I can do here is to make sure the car is as protected as I can get it with Sealant and Wax before the first salt gets thrown, and give it a good wash or sprayoff when the temp gets into the 40's.  I won't put any kind of pad or mitt on my paint without a full wash.  Been doing it that way all my life.  Paint still looks good on all my cars.  

It is what it is depending on where you live. 

Do the best you can with what you have Webb.  And once the weather breaks a bit, then give her a good wash, sealant, and wax (if you can).  But  the best prep has to take place before the first salt.   :2thumbs:

What I do is at least once a week (in Winter) go to the car wash and blast off all the salt & winter junk. I f the weather brakes for a few days I do a 2 bucket wash at home in my garage. Like mentioned keep a good layer of protection on your paint, LPS works great on your DD.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm kicking myself for not putting a layer of sealant down before Americana but I didn't have any at the time. I do plan to wash the salt off at the coin op and try out the rinseless technique as a lot of you have suggested. Just waiting for a decent break in the weather. Do any of you know is it ok if rinseless spills on the garage floor (cement)? Will it cause any staining?

I will usually only wash once a week on the weekends as my schedule doesn't allow for anything else.  No problems here.  And yes they use some heavy salt here.  Dark color cars at times look white.

Winter here this year has been mild.  Only second time in 25 years that I haven't had to chain up.

Edited by LFairbanks

Finally got a break in the cold weather today so I took everyone's advice and went for a rinseless wash. Wow! What a game changer! I got excellent results in less time than it takes me with a normal 2 bucket wash and in the warmth of the garage. I think this will become my regular routine now until a standard wash is necessary. I spent 30 minutes doing a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer, then moved inside to do the rinseless wash. I used about 9 borderless blues to wash and 3 do dry. One of the best things about this method for me is not having to deal with water spots. I have very hard well water and I get spots every time I do a 2 bucket wash. So here she is

post-3918-0-44577400-1423443831_thumb.jpg

post-3918-0-10232300-1423443855_thumb.jpg

I'd add an extra half ounce per 2 gallons to battle minerals. This is coming from the guy who mixes Rinseless with distilled water even for the bucket lol.

Webb,

Glad to hear you're liking the rinseless method! It definitely cuts down on time and the vehicle looks great afterwards.

Like Jason mentioned he uses distilled water for rinseless washes, great idea if you're worried about water spots. And if I remember correctly, Jason also uses only 2 gallons of distilled when doing a rinseless. Also, 2 gallons is enough to use for the next time you rinseless wash. (I have tried his method and it works perfectly).

Jason maybe you could chime in. I'll let you explain your process and having a dedicated bucket for only rinseless.

Edited by SJC96GT

Webb,

Glad to hear you're liking the rinseless method! It definitely cuts down on time and the vehicle looks great afterwards.

Like Jason mentioned he uses distilled water for rinseless washes, great idea if you're worried about water spots. And if I remember correctly, Jason also uses only 2 gallons of distilled when doing a rinseless. Also, 2 gallons is enough to use for the next time you rinseless wash. (I have tried his method and it works perfectly).

Jason maybe you could chime in. I'll let you explain your process and having a dedicated bucket for only rinseless.

Thanks Seth I'll try to be brief but thorough, and first off I don't claim to be a rinseless washing guru or anything lol, I just try to give others confidence to try it out, because a year ago or so you couldn't pay me to try rinseless washing, I never thought it was as safe as a traditional wash.

What I do is I buy distilled 10 for $10 from Shop Rite or whatever, since the dilution ratio is 1 oz per 2 gallons, I use that ratio so basically I would be adding 1/2 oz to 1 gallon of distilled.  I pre-mix the gallons so they are ready to go.  If you are using tap water I would use an extra half ounce to battle minerals, just gives an extra margin of safety IMO.

COLD WEATHER TIP:  In the winter since I would like to wash with warm water what I do is the night before I'm going to wash, I take 2 gallons, and place them near the heater upstairs in my house, it doesnt get them hot just warm.  Alternatively you could place them by a fireplace if you use that too.  Also the pre-soak bottle.  So in the morning I have 2 gallons of warmed rinseless solution, and pre-soak solution that is warm.  I've used hot tap water before when the vehicle is extremely soiled and I really need the hot water to break up the grime.  In this circumstance I still use the warm 2 gallons of distilled for the actual solution, but for the pre-soak I fill up my Venus sprayer with 1L of hot water from my tap, and about 3 oz of Rinseless.  The distilled for the pre-soak is not necessary, I do it in good weather though, but for soiled cars that need hot water just use the tap at this time.

Now, as far as the per gallons use per each wash, I will say this, it comes down to the type of towels you are using, and the size of the vehicle.  For my X5 and my wifes Rav4, I use 600gsm plush towels from Detailers Domain, so they tend to soak up a decent amount of solution.  Comparatively, Garry Dean in his videos uses basic all purpose 350-400 gsm towels, so he gets away with just 1 gallon because those towels dont soak up as much in the bucket.  I prefer the plush towel it just "feels safer" to me, so the extra gallon I use isn't a big deal.

I've found after doing my car and my wifes, even on the most soiled days, I still have about 1/2 gallon left in the bucket when done, so what I've now started doing is this.  I take a small garbage can (think one from your bathroom), fill it with 1/2 gallon of the rinseless solution, and use the other 1.5 gallons in your "rinseless solution bucket".  This should leave you with almost no solution left when done if you are using plush towels like I am.  In your small bin, soak your wheel woolies, and your lug nut brush.  When you are done with the rinseless process on the paint (wheels/tires are done last with this method), then go to town on your wheels and get the entire wheel with the woolies, dipping into the bucket to rinse them off after each wheel.  Then, I keep 1 black all purpose, wheel dedicated towel in my rinseless bucket, and wring it out thoroughly.  This is your "wheel drying towel" after getting done with the brushes and woolies.

Now, as far as a dedicated bucket for rinseless washing goes, this is my take.  I borrow a tip from Larry Kosilla which says you never intermingle washing components for wheels as you do paint.  This includes, buckets, brushes, etc.  So this small "garbage bin/bucket" used for wheels/tires only, would never be used in the paint scenario.  And although you are contaminating that 1/2 gallon of solution each time you rinse the Woolies out, since the grit is mostly encapsulated and released when rinsing out in the bucket, its fairly safe and better than cleaning 4 wheels with dirty Woolies.

MY TIP:

I also use the GDWM/single bucket multi towels method (I know some of you hate referring to it as GDWM), so I am never reintroducing that dirt and grime into the bucket (the towels get tossed aside when done and never put back in the bucket until they are laundered again, so my bucket remains clean when done.  I use the same bucket for rinseless washing as I do for traditional washing (my wash/soap water bucket to be specific).  However, if you are doing the 2BM for rinseless washing, and are doing wheels/tires last out of the same bucket of wash water, then know that its not my regimen since I don't co-mingle wheel/tire washing tools/medias with media used for paint.  Which is why I have a dedicated wheel/tire bucket (I use a 3BM) for traditional washing.

I hope that helps, I was really long winded I know, but looks like you're off to a great start Webb.  I just re-read your post and from what I can tell you are already doing the GDWM when doing a rinseless, if so great start!  Try it out with warmed distilled water and it will wipe down even easier.

Jason.  In reading I see you put forth the effort to warm your water.  Does the warmth last long enough to matter, or does it cool to room temperature rather quickly while doing your wash routine?  I thought of this idea that may be helpful in warming your water.  What if you took a towel (regular bath towel) and folded it in half.  Put a heating pad down, on top of the towel, and your gallons of distilled water on top of the heating pad.  I have hot and cold hose spigot in the garage that is plumbed into the soft water system that I use and make the water as hot or cold as I want.  

Jason.  In reading I see you put forth the effort to warm your water.  Does the warmth last long enough to matter, or does it cool to room temperature rather quickly while doing your wash routine?  I thought of this idea that may be helpful in warming your water.  What if you took a towel (regular bath towel) and folded it in half.  Put a heating pad down, on top of the towel, and your gallons of distilled water on top of the heating pad.  I have hot and cold hose spigot in the garage that is plumbed into the soft water system that I use and make the water as hot or cold as I want.  

I have steam radiators in my house so I place the bottles on top of the radiator overnight.  In the morning they are quite warm (not hot) and it does last for most of the wash, especially if your bucket is indoors as well.  Good idea on the heating pad idea, another way to definitely do it, but I think placing the gallons by the heater is much more efficient in terms of getting the temps up.

Jealous of your hot/cold spigot by the way, what model do you have?  I want to install one even though my hose is outside, would make mild weather washing in winter much more pleasurable (sometimes I'd love to have hot water to rinse the salt off the undercarriage).  If I were you, I'd fill my pre-soak bottle with hot water from your spicket and pre-soak with the hot solution, and then wash with the warmed rinseless/distilled solution, the hot pre-soak bottle will break up the grime effortlessly, and the warm water for your wash is pleasurable for your hands in the garage.

your hot/cold spigot by the way, what model do you have?  

Really easy to add one if your handy.  I have one similar to this one.  Probably not this exact model, but the same manufacturer if that makes sense.  Looks almost identical to what I have.  Any more with pex it is super easy to add anything if you know how to solder and add the appropriate fitting or if you choose to you can add the lines in copper.  Home Depot will rent the crimp tool in their tool rental.  My whole house is pex and I just stubbed off of my manabloc while I was finishing the basement.  

Really easy to add one if your handy.  I have one similar to this one.  Probably not this exact model, but the same manufacturer if that makes sense.  Looks almost identical to what I have.  Any more with pex it is super easy to add anything if you know how to solder and add the appropriate fitting or if you choose to you can add the lines in copper.  Home Depot will rent the crimp tool in their tool rental.  My whole house is pex and I just stubbed off of my manabloc while I was finishing the basement.  

Thanks for the tips!  Too much work to have it added inside the garage (garage is technically attached to the house but our connected/enclosed porch is between garage and house so I'd have to trench new pipe to the garage and dont feel like digging it out at the moment lol) but may still add one on the exterior hose spicket up front as that one is old as the hills and I'm due for a new one now, and on a sunny 35 F day it would be great to be able to get some hot water on the undercarriage, and even use an electric pressure washer if I kept the temp of the water below 100.

Edited by Ricky Bobby