Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing business info

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but is there any interest in starting a detailing for business info section? A place to talk business names, card design, website design, customer attraction, pricing strategy and general info for people looking to take detailing to the next level?

I know the forum is more of a weekend warrior place but with new coatings coming out and Adams being professional quality I think it could provide valuable information for people.

I am going to be taking a look at the layout here in the coming weeks and shifting some things around to better organize. I'll add a 'pro lounge' to the list of possible changes.

Should this be an invite only area? I've seen this attempted other places, and while good intentioned, you get the kid that does wash and wax out of his parents garage in there adding his 2 pennies worth which leads to frustration from the actual business guys and muddies the water into just another open discussion area.

Open to the suggestions - keep em coming!

Should this be an invite only area? I've seen this attempted other places, and while good intentioned, you get the kid that does wash and wax out of his parents garage in there adding his 2 pennies worth which leads to frustration from the actual business guys and muddies the water into just another open discussion area.

If you do the invite only you lose out on people who can design business cards and web designs like myself since I'm not a professional detailer but more of a hobbyist. But you almost need the invitation to keep out the rift raft of Johnny doing "Professional" detailing. Like the idea but it's almost a lose lose. 

You'd almost have to invite business people, designers, logistics people and at that point your back to inviting nearly 3/4ths the forum lol

Maybe invites for specific sections? Maybe a Mod could be in charge of reviewing credentials?

Section - Professional Detailing Business

Sub Sections - Web & Promo Design, Business Relations, Logistics

For example I would probably only fall under the Web & Promo Sub Section. But Dylan would fall under all of them since he does all of them.

Edited by Kingsford

I say keep it open as a "Detailing For $$$ Chit Chat" thread and see how it goes, for the most part we are pretty good about self policing around here to keep it on topic.  You might want to have some ground rules for it though, and for the inevitable person that comes in that doesn't detail for others, they can always request a pro's knowledge and opinion via PM if they'd like, who knows they might start a business down the line.

It may need some policing and deleting of posts to clean it up every now and then but thats no different than other forums, just keep it on topic.

It would be great if weekend warriors could read the posts - not have the ability to input, just review.

I would hate to miss out on all this great information. I also fear the pros may just migrate to this section and weekend warriors would miss their valuable input on the rest of the site.

I've started a detailing business several times over the past 30 years.   This is a relatively easy business to get started!   Kicker is to first nail your process, and be able to detail better than 90% of the people in your area.   Know paint correction, develop a system so you don't waste time, or be redundant.   Also, be sure to do full details for friends, family, and for cheap customers at first. 

A few things that I found earned consistent business:  

1. Take a look at the car first if possible, and do a small corner of the hood, trunk, etc.  Show what you can do, and then you can get an idea of what the car really needs!
  2. Don't flake!  99% of the people in the detail business are flakey.  Don't cancel last minute, do shorty work, or no-show.   This is the reason people are always looking for a new detailer, and it can be a good thing!  Realize, no matter how many detailers there are in a city or town, you can bet nearly all are flakes.  The great detailers charge $1K or more for a job, so there is always plenty of business for mid-price range detailing services.
  3. Give yourself enough time for each job.  Schedule no more than one job/ day at first.  Detailing always takes twice as long as you think, and canceling or rescheduling your second job of the day is a sure way to lose a customer.
  4. Take a million before and after photos, and pop them up on a quickie website.  People love to see results!   (Even if they are on your car.)  
  5. Offer a free detail to the high-line dealerships, limo companies, etc you want to work for.  Figure this:  Either be detailing for money, or detailing for free.  Just always be detailing!!
  6. Make a few thousand business cards, and always have 50 or so with you.  When you see a car that could use your love, leave a card slightly stuck in the window rubber, just above the driver's door handle.  Have your card offer a free, personalized estimate, and sample of work.
  7. Offer discounts for multiple vehicles at one location.
  8. Nail the "Express Detail" Most customers will want this service.  More later on the Express or Executive Detail...... 
  9. Charge little at first, then as your schedule fills up, raise prices.  
  10. Charge hourly if possible.  Start at $20 - $30/ hr.  To charge the same for every car would make it seem all cars are in the same condition, or your time is not valuable.

That's today's sermon on the detail biz!

Adam, GREAT post. 

#8-9-10 are spot on.

#8 Nailing your pricing and process for the Express Detail (wash/clay/wax, etc) is key, as that will be your most popular option.  I can get the Express Detail done on most cars in about an hour to 90 mins and leave them with a coat of sealant that will give 4 months of protection.

#9 An in demand detailer is a detailer that fills their schedule and the increase in pricing will always drive demand because that equals supply.  If your customers think if they don't schedule now they will miss out they will book!

#10 This is my best advice yet.  Most people want to know "how much will it cost" but either don't want to bring the car to you first and get a detailed estimate, or don't want to do any preparation before dropping it off, so I tell those customers depending on what they want (interior, exterior, both, etc), I will charge hourly based on actual time spent.  If they drop off a car that hasn't been washed or vaccuumed in a year, the time spent will reflect that.  Most times using this method you do come out cheaper than the local "detailers" at Johnny's Car Wash, and the customer is only paying for what they want.  Paint correction is also great to charge by the hour.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I've started a detailing business several times over the past 30 years. This is a relatively easy business to get started! Kicker is to first nail your process, and be able to detail better than 90% of the people in your area. Know paint correction, develop a system so you don't waste time, or be redundant. Also, be sure to do full details for friends, family, and for cheap customers at first.

A few things that I found earned consistent business:

• Take a look at the car first if possible, and do a small corner of the hood, trunk, etc. Show what you can do, and then you can get an idea of what the car really needs!
  • Don't flake! 99% of the people in the detail business are flakey. Don't cancel last minute, do shorty work, or no-show. This is the reason people are always looking for a new detailer, and it can be a good thing! Realize, no matter how many detailers there are in a city or town, you can bet nearly all are flakes. The great detailers charge $1K or more for a job, so there is always plenty of business for mid-price range detailing services.
  • Give yourself enough time for each job. Schedule no more than one job/ day at first. Detailing always takes twice as long as you think, and canceling or rescheduling your second job of the day is a sure way to lose a customer.
  • Take a million before and after photos, and pop them up on a quickie website. People love to see results! (Even if they are on your car.)
  • Offer a free detail to the high-line dealerships, limo companies, etc you want to work for. Figure this: Either be detailing for money, or detailing for free. Just always be detailing!!
  • Make a few thousand business cards, and always have 50 or so with you. When you see a car that could use your love, leave a card slightly stuck in the window rubber, just above the driver's door handle. Have your card offer a free, personalized estimate, and sample of work.
  • Offer discounts for multiple vehicles at one location.
  • Nail the "Express Detail" Most customers will want this service. More later on the Express or Executive Detail......
  • Charge little at first, then as your schedule fills up, raise prices.
  • Charge hourly if possible. Start at $20 - $30/ hr. To charge the same for every car would make it seem all cars are in the same condition, or your time is not valuable.
That's today's sermon on the detail biz!

AWESOME post Adam. Thank you I have been detailing for $ on the weekends for the last 2 yrs. Started off with family and friends the 1st yr. Then word mouth and post before and afters on FB has help to detail 25 cars this year.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but is there any interest in starting a detailing for business info section? A place to talk business names, card design, website design, customer attraction, pricing strategy and general info for people looking to take detailing to the next level?

I know the forum is more of a weekend warrior place but with new coatings coming out and Adams being professional quality I think it could provide valuable information for people.

This is a great idea! We just got more serious with our small detailing business. We created a FB page and our business cards just arrived today.

Another tip is to brand yourself. Have a website, Facebook, Instagram etc all with your business name and business related content. Have an email with "name"@"business name".com instead of "businessname@hotmail.com. You are a service that is often thought of as a commodity to many. You have to provide more to a client to show that your services are worth more than the other guys. (Like Walmart versus target, they may have the same things but you pay to not have to deal with people of Walmart). Have business cards, be professional at all times, know your craft inside and be able to explain it in simple terms.

I definitely think that a section like this would be very helpful for many people, yes there may be some person who is rude but luckily this forum is one of the "calmest" I have ever seen. Have a set of rules and a mod to watch over it and if it gets too much then it can be taken down, or just have everything locked so the good info stays.

Love this thread. I'm just a detailer to my own vehicles, but I'm interested in doing some small side jobs for funds to purchase detailing tools, machines, and product. I'd love to see a section of the forums dedicated to this, however, I'd hate to see it there and not be able to join because it is open only to "professionals." I'm by no means a professional, but I'd like to be able to interact with those of you who are pros and have useful advise.

A very good idea!

I've started (late summer) to detail for others on the weekend.  And have been doing pretty good since then.  Have a customer's car to work on every weekend for the past 2 months now.  Today will be my last car to work on for this year.  (currently awaiting for my customer to arrive)

I too started out doing my family (me & my wife's) ride, then extended to relatives.  Posted some photos on my FB, and started had some friends asked me to detail theirs.  The first couple detailing job of my friends' rides are free because I was just enjoying to do so.  But after them, and more photos posted, I started have more friends asking.  That was when I started to charge people money.  'Cos I was thinking, not just for the materials, but I'll need something to make up for my time too.  You know, time is money.  And now, from words of mouth and friends posting their detailed ride photo on their page, I started to detail for strangers, people that I don't know in person (friends' friend, their co-worker, etc.).  And just started to have a dedicated FB page for my weekend detailing business.  

So, social media is a big help nowadays, especially for small business!  Create an social media account and post tons of photos and videos.  People especially love Before & After and it really helps to "show off" your work/skill.   

Another tips is hanging out with some local car people is another good way to get new customers.  Plus those are the people that's most likely to spend a few hundreds bucks to beautify their ride.  Frequently attend your local car meet/show, car & coffee, etc. is another good way to attract new customers too.  Print some business car, direct them to a place (FB page, web site, etc.) to show off your work, and just stick them on your windshield.  I personally don't like to stick a business card on other people's ride as I hate others do that to me.  But if I saw a nice car or I know that owner is my target customer (nice ride = more likely to spend $$ on their ride), I might chase him down the park lot and introduce myself and my service.  

Also, I guess for detailing, you gotta make sure you love doing this, not just for the money part!  I think it's very important as this job is a very detail orientated work.  IMO you just can't do a good job if you are not into it!

One more thing, set a price point and stick to it!  You time is money.  Set an hourly rate to yourself so you will know how much to charge (roughly) for any particular job.

A good thing about my current weekend side business, my wife has stopped complaining when she see a big box of Adam's shows up at the door.  (you guys shouldn't put that big thick Adam's taping on the box for discrete purpose!  LOL :P )

One down side of starting my weekend detailing business is my own car haven't been washed for a month now!!  :(

BTW, I'm always wondering, I spent 5-6 hours for a full exterior job included wheels, engine, wash, clay, seal (machine), and wax (machine), add another hour for interior, am I being too slow or spending too much time?  

Edited by landshark