Customer Service 866.965.0400

Undercarriage Detailing

Fierce5

Question

Does any one know have any experience detailing an undercarriage? Im not talking about wheel liners Im talking about a car on a lift and you detailed the chassis, suspension, control arms, tailpipes, etc... If you did, please chime in and let me know what products to use from the Adam's arsenal (APC, DWC, etc..) or otter stuff Adam's doesn't sell (Bar Keepers Friend, etc..). Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Most of the underside components are also painted/powdercoated.

I've cleaned my lower control arms and panhard bar on the SS with a utility microfiber and waterless wash or APC.

Deep wheel cleaner has no use since it attacks metallic particles in brake dust.

You could put it up on a lift and wash it just like the exterior if you wanted to.

I use a terry cloth wash cloth, and a one gallon bucket filled with warm water and a few ounces of APC. When the water gets dirty, replace it. In very soiled areas I'll spray APC, but usually just wipe with the soaked terry cloth wash cloth. I also dry as I go with a terry cloth hand towel. After everything is nice and clean I'll apply QS using the Blue Microfiber Applicators.

Does this apply to cars produced in the 80s?

I can't say that they are for certain, I wasn't on this earth then. :jester: Honestly, I don't know what they would be coated in other than paint...unless the vehicle has been undercoated for rust protection.

I use a terry cloth wash cloth, and a one gallon bucket filled with warm water and a few ounces of APC. When the water gets dirty, replace it. In very soiled areas I'll spray APC, but usually just wipe with the soaked terry cloth wash cloth. I also dry as I go with a terry cloth hand towel. After everything is nice and clean I'll apply QS using the Blue Microfiber Applicators.

Thank you! Do you think a vapor steamer would make my job easier?

pressure washer is not really an option because the car is lifted in a finished garage with stuff and other car around it, dirt will be all over the place from the pressure washer. I'll try APC and see how it goes.

My Bronco was on a trailer, open, and I was caught in a snow/sleet/rain storm.   Got destroyed, and I put it up on a lift, and used about a gallon of APC, and a few dozen Utility towels to clean the entire belly.  Then, I went with Waterless Wash and about few dozen WW towels.  Finally, I used two cans of Quick Sealant, but had to do it over two days.  No ventilation where the lift is, and breathing in the QS is not good, especially 2 cans at a time!

Now, I can just blast off the belly with a pressure washer.  Warm water works better, and I take Race Ramps to the coin wash when it's time for a winter blast off!

My $0.02

2012-04-06_10-37-36_894.jpg

2013-01-22_15-41-28_891.jpg

Thank you Adam and everyone else for the responses and sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I guess I should have mentioned that this is a 25 years old Mustang that NEVER had the undercarriage cleaned! This was a referral from a friend whom I detailed his GF's Audi and the owner's main goal was to clean the undercarriage, not the paint, not the interior, the undercarriage! 

I went the easier route, knowing and seeing the amount of dirt, grease and grime, and I bought a Mytee Firebird steamer. I sprayed the whole belly of the car with APC and let is sit, then got a rough carpet brush and brushed the whole thing and that made it look a little better! I then sprayed APC again and let it set it for few minutes, then I used Bar Keepers on the same brush and brush all the components again (tailpipes, transmission, drive shaft, mufflers, etc.). Finally steamed the whole thing. The amount of gunk and garbage that fell from that thing was unbelievable (I made sure I have a tarp). The steamer is really a great tool and I like it a lot. The Mytee produces 50 psi at 350 degrees, can't beat that for $300! My next big purchase on the list is the Tornador, that thing is a beast!

Edited by Fierce5

pressure washer is not really an option because the car is lifted in a finished garage with stuff and other car around it, dirt will be all over the place from the pressure washer. I'll try APC and see how it goes.

Can you install a wheel kit on your lift to take it outside? that is what I do

post-60-0-00662500-1413668319_thumb.jpg

Can you install a wheel kit on your lift to take it outside? that is what I do

That looks awesome and I definitely share that with the owner. Unfortunately I don't own the lift nor the Mustang I was working on! Here's a picture of one muffler detailed to show a 50/50 of the results