Customer Service 866.965.0400

Volkswagon TDI reliability

Cygnus

Hi Guys,

Used car shopping for a friend and we're trying to find her something with good reliability.  I've been trying to get her to look at getting another Accord since I know it'll be solid for her.  Unfortunately she had a Jetta catch her eye and the dealer has a great deal (right at her target price point) on a 2011 Jetta TDI that was fully loaded. I've been trying to steer her away from it due to the full pump issues the TDIs were having then and also due to the cost of the 40k mile maintenance that the transmissions in them require.  

Does anyone have any experience dealing with them and their reliability?  I don't want to block her on it if they're really not much of an issue anymore and it was a bit of an overblown internet thing a couple years ago that's still dominating my searches.  I know that historically VW wasn't the more reliable, but it looks like they've made improvements with the latest models.  I'm just not sure if it was enough of an improvement.

Thanks

MarylandTDI (RICH) can talk about reliability.  Our friends had a late model Jetta TDI that they just traded on a new Passat TDI.  As far as I'm aware, they were very happy with the first one.  

Keep in mind, they're not the quickest vehicles out there, although most don't care when they're seeing upwards of 50MPG.

MarylandTDI (RICH) can talk about reliability.  Our friends had a late model Jetta TDI that they just traded on a new Passat TDI.  As far as I'm aware, they were very happy with the first one.  

Keep in mind, they're not the quickest vehicles out there, although most don't care when they're seeing upwards of 50MPG.

We test drove it yesterday and the performance was fine.  It has more pickup then the 2003 Accord with 215k miles that it'll be replacing.  :)

I REALLY like the way mine drives, though I admit that from time to time that fuel pump thing gives me a little worry. But it seems that most of the cars affected were 09s and early 2010s (mine's a 2010) and that the newer ones are largely safe. Even still, I think a lot of it was overhyped, and VW seems to be paying for repairs for cars that do grenade. 

I'm at 41K miles and haven't had any major issues. I have had a frustrating issue or two with my local dealer, though. If I ever bought another TDI -- and I may very well -- it won't be from that dealership. Taking the car to a trusted independent garage or doing the work yourself is a no-brainer. I did my own 40K service (Fuel filter change and oil change) for about $100. (Mine is a manual, no DSG for me -- though I would suspect a indy shop can service that for a lot less than the dealer.)

The resale on these cars seems very good, too -- much better than non-TDI VWs. 

Thanks everyone.  Doing some more research it looks like the fuel pump issue was mainly with the 2009 and 2010s.  So we're back to strongly considering it again.  Time for her to make up her mind.