Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Adventure

DonJuan692006

Question

I'm getting sick of looking at all the imperfections in my paint and having a black car just makes every single one of them pop. I've never really been into auto detailing outside of washing once a week with whatever I could find to soak up suds. I bought my 2012 GT/CS used and the first time I washed it (used a microfiber mitt and double bucket) I noticed a good amount of swirling along with a few paint chips and at least two road rash spots. I had a recent incident with my garage door that I'm going to take to a local body shop to repair and see what they quote for repairing the chips. If it's too extreme I'll grab a chip repair kit from AutoGeek and handle it myself. Which brings me to my first question...how long after repairing the chips should I wait for a full exterior detail?

I'm planning to grab the Porter Cable DA buffer but I'm not sure what else to grab with it. I'm thinking a good swirl remover, polish, and wax. However, I want to get my car back to looking better than new. I saw a flow chart that AutoGeek hosts on their site recommending a wash, clay bar, swirl remover, polish, glaze, sealant, wax, spray wax, and then detailer. Is all that really necessary? Are there any benefits to doing it all or would I be wasting my time? Any of you guys/gals with black cars have product recommendations?

Since I'll be grabbing the DA, what would you guys recommend for MF's? I grabbed a bag from AutoZone and have since learned that not all MF's are made equally. I'll probably hang onto them for interior work and things that I don't have to worry about easy scratches (like the plastic trim/engine bay and tire dressing).

6 answers to this question

Not only are not all of those steps necessary, but some of them are out of order.

Wash, clay, two-step polish, then either sealant or wax. Sealant must go directly onto bare paint (so the glaze, if used, would be after the sealant, not before). You can certainly add wax on top of that if you wish but it is not necessary. If your car is a garage queen, you can skip the sealant and just go with wax. If it's a daily driver, I would go with the sealant since it lasts longer and has more durable protection from the elements.

If you are getting a dual action polisher like the porter cable 7424xp and want to get your black paint looking right, I recommend Adam's two-step polishing system as stated above. You can watch an instructional video about it (and all of Adam's products) on their YouTube channel, but below is the link to the video specifically about using the two-step polishes with the PC7424

As far as towels go, Adam's sells the softest, high-quality microfiber towels I have ever put my hands on, and with proper care they will last a long time.

Thanks for all the info Gerry and I think you've got me going in the right direction. I was actually referred to here by a guy on the AllFordMustangs forums and I think I just found my one-stop shop. I'm really liking that pretty much everything is made in the good old US. I guess the only thing to do now is get my credit card warmed up.

Do you have any tips on maintaining the MF? I typically just wash mine after every use on the delicate cycle and tumble dry them on low heat.

To add...the Stang isn't a garage queen right now since my DD is sitting on jack stands waiting for me to find the time to finish a head gasket replacement so I plan on going a little over board for now to make sure she stays pretty.

Edited by DonJuan692006

Personally I prefer to wash my towels by hand, but there is no harm in using your clothes washer. Just be sure to use liquid soap (if the towels are really dirty), wash with only other microfiber (so don't mix them in with your bath towels), and do not use fabric softener. Adam's has a Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener which is specifically formulated to care for your towels. I like to use a tiny bit of Woolite as well for the towels that get dirty (usually the WW or drying towels). 

I also like to hang dry mine just to be absolutely sure they do not come into contact with any residual fabric softener or foreign material from the dryer.

My process is described in this post. Everybody has their own methods but all follow the same basic principles.

Thanks for all the info Gerry and I think you've got me going in the right direction. I was actually referred to here by a guy on the AllFordMustangs forums and I think I just found my one-stop shop. I'm really liking that pretty much everything is made in the good old US. I guess the only thing to do now is get my credit card warmed up.

Do you have any tips on maintaining the MF? I typically just wash mine after every use on the delicate cycle and tumble dry them on low heat.

To add...the Stang isn't a garage queen right now since my DD is sitting on jack stands waiting for me to find the time to finish a head gasket replacement so I plan on going a little over board for now to make sure she stays pretty.

i use mf revitalizer as the soap. i have an HE washer, i run either delicate or express wash and air dry. the delicate doesnt have a high spin setting so thats why i end up using the express wash. also wash them before the first use. i learned that the hard way. you can treat stains prior to the wash using the revitalizer just like a stain remover. the first time i wash the towels only with the same mf towels. after the first wash, i wash all the towels together. well, i wash the waffle towels together and then the softs together, and then utility together. the glass ones i ll throw in with soft or utility depending on how dirty it is. the double soft takes quite a bit of time to air dry. overnight tends to work well for the others as long as theyre pretty rung out after the wash.

hey fellow CT/CS lol. The only products I would ever use on my car are Adams. Def go with the 2 step Polish system. And def buy some double soft towels. You will need them.. Also post some pics of ur ride.

Pics added to my profile. Are those the MMD Louvers? If so, I have the same one's. Have you done any other mods?