Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint defect?

IrishCurse

Question

My 2011 Camaro has a couple of spots that look like there was a particle or contaminant on the metal or primer prior to painting because there are conical looking defects. Small, about the size of a grain of sand or dirt. Color is perfect as is the clear coat. I'm tempted to take it to the dealer and have them fix it, but I know nothing is better than factory paint durability. Since the paint looks perfectly intact, do I need to worry? My concern is potential degradation later, but if the paint is intact, no corrosion issues... Anyone seen this or dealt with it? It's making me crazy. Pics to follow...

12 answers to this question

Good luck getting them to fix it. You gotta remember we have crazy detailer eyes, they'll probably say they don't even see anything.

Both my Mustangs had this issue. Couple spots on the Boss that look like they painted over a spec of dirt/dust.

Leave it alone.  Having a dealer or body shop try to mess with something so insignificant is going to open up a box of worms.

As far as nothing being better than factory paint, that's only true if you don't pay for a high end paint job by a reputable shop.  A true high end paint job is FAR superior to anything a car manufacturer can and will put out. 

I've also yet to see a factory paint job that didn't have marks and/or other minor imperfections in the paint. 

Good luck getting them to fix it. You gotta remember we have crazy detailer eyes, they'll probably say they don't even see anything.

Both my Mustangs had this issue. Couple spots on the Boss that look like they painted over a spec of dirt/dust.

I don't think it will hurt anything other than irritate you. I have an 03 Duramax that has a few similar spots and I just noticed them since I started with the addiction, so after 10 years if they haven't been an issue I think you l be safe.

Interested to see what the dealer is willing to offer for correction.

I agree guys, I have OCD (allegedly), so, like many of us here, things like this make me crazy.   :wacko: You guys ease my mind because unlike just about everyone else in my life, you are equally critical, have experience with something like this before, and understand why it's so bothersome.   :)

I'm letting this one go.  Thanks Chris, Gerry, Tom, and Mr. Ron from Minnesota!

Cool, thanks. I'll relax as best I can, lol. I agree with Charlie above, in order to remove that and fix it the best/right way would involve removing the vinyl, and respraying the hood. That can go any number of ways.

Had a lot of problems with acid rain in and around New England years back. This would actually put little etches in the paint if car was left sitting for any length of time or unkempt. Think all the cars had the problem to some extent. Think if it was anything like that you'd see more than 1 speck but a whole bunch of them.

Edited by Rich B.