Customer Service 866.965.0400

general wash clay polish/glaze question

whitechevy3

Question

Hey guys about to clay my ride got a few questions.

1. I am going to use a pc machine to polish next week have some scratchs and other light imperfections but im going to clay tonight.

2. Since I am going to wait to polish can I just throw some glaze on it to portect and shine it until I can do the hole process?

Thanks for the help

11 answers to this question

The Glaze will not provide any protection.  It is for shine enhancement only.   I would suggest Quick Sealant or machine sealant if you have either of those.

If not, hit it with a quick coat of Buttery or Americana and then use an IPA to take off the wax when you are ready to do it perfectly.   

Edited by Feets31

Glaze won't add much protection.

I would personally either not put any product on for protection, like Dave said, it won't hurt the paint that much, or put a light coat of Buttery Wax on and then strip it w/ IPA like Jim stated.

Hey guys about to clay my ride got a few questions.

1. I am going to use a pc machine to polish next week have some scratchs and other light imperfections but im going to clay tonight.

2. Since I am going to wait to polish can I just throw some glaze on it to portect and shine it until I can do the hole process?

Thanks for the help

Are you going to be driving the car between clay and polish? Or will it be sitting in a garage the whole time? If you are going to drive it, put a coat of wax down after claying to protect the paint. Glaze will not protect it. The only downside to this is you'd have to strip the wax off next week before polishing, which can be done simply by adding some APC to your wash bucket.

If it will sit in the garage, then you don't need to do anything except remove whatever light dust settles on it during the week with DS or WW and a MF towel

Also dobi have to wait anytime in between polish, glaze, wax processes?

Dobi?  Dobi Wan Kenobi?

No you don't have to wait between those steps....

I agree with Dave...a week between clay and polishing...why put anything on it?  When us detailers talk about "protecting" the clear coat, in all reality....a clear coat is paint protection in itself.....I think you'll be fine.  Hundreds of millions of cars drive this planet without a coat of wax on their clear coat...

He meant "shine enhancement"

If you're washing the vehicle before claying, use either dawn or 4 oz of APC mixed with car shampoo.

As far as a waiting period, only if you're laying down MSS. Otherwise you can keep layering one right after another. If you're using QS, then wait 30 minutes before applying anything over it to be safe. Remember, sealant goes on bare paint so it goes first after polishing.

He meant "shine enhancement"

If you're washing the vehicle before claying, use either dawn or 4 oz of APC mixed with car shampoo.

As far as a waiting period, only if you're laying down MSS. Otherwise you can keep layering one right after another. If you're using QS, then wait 30 minutes before applying anything over it to be safe. Remember, sealant goes on bare paint so it goes first after polishing.

Well....portect and shine to be exact....either way, if it's a week, I wouldn't waste product.

Like the others mentioned, Brilliant Glaze will not provide any protection. If it was me I wouldn't try to lay down anything for protection just for removing it a few days later when you are ready to polish. At the same time I wouldn't put the truck thru any crazy conditions that may bring back contaminants on to the surface either.