Customer Service 866.965.0400

Convert. Tops

Estephens520

Question

15 answers to this question

If the top isn't heavily stained, mix some car shampoo with water in a bottle with a foaming sprayer, and a soft brush like Adam's interior brush. If it is a light color top and has stains you can spot treat them with CUC first, just test an inconspicuous area for color fastness before doing the whole thing.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_04_2_Bucket_Car_Wash.aspx

There are "fabric guards" for convertible tops, but I personally don't believe in them. They supposedly deter dirt and grease, but I haven't found one that works well enough for the money.

I think just normal upkeep is necessary and the top will be fine.

On top of what GerryC said; I've had success with diluted APCs for spot treating as well. (Stubborn stains or salt from winter months and always test a small spot first)

Edited by BKazzle

As the others recommended. Our leather & Interior brush and car wash for light cleaning. This is nice b/c you can do it while you wash the rest of the car fairly easily. 

If you need more cleaning power APC would work (dilute as needed). 

For stains you can use our Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, although I do recommend you spray onto the towel and wipe, not directly onto the top as the cleaner will soak in and leave 'rings' in some cases. 

As far as protectant. We are working on a few things right now, but nothing thats ready to roll out. The standard for canvas top protection has been (for awhile now) Ragg Top - available online - but we hope to take that title when ours is ready to be released :)

As far as protectant. We are working on a few things right now, but nothing thats ready to roll out. The standard for canvas top protection has been (for awhile now) Ragg Top - available online - but we hope to take that title when ours is ready to be released :)

Dylan if there was a product in development that could be used for conditioning canvas tops and protecting them could this product also double and be used to protect cloth interiors as well? hypothetically speaking that is haha

I wash my vert top just the same as the rest of the car. I just spend a bit more time rinsing it off.  Speaking of............I gotta go wash her now because she saw her FIRST rain yesterday.  DANG! :angry:

I just picked up an old corvair with a white convertible top-- its in decent condition but appears to be a bit dirty mostly where it is handled (manual top), I'm guessing maybe even a little grease from "mechanic" hands. 

Would dilution of APC be best here? What else might I try?  I have washed it once with Adams car shampoo and it still shows the dirt/stains, but I havent tried anything else yet.

If dilution is suggested, what ratio should the dilution be?

Thanks!

Always test a spot first, but on my sisters boyfriend's Jeep I used 1:1 APC.

I spot treated it as well. By that, I mean I used various brushes and went over the whole thing focusing inch by inch and it's came out great.

His soft top is tan in color and probably a different type of material than your top, but that's the method I used.

My top is vinyl, and I've had GREAT success with using SVRT. Careful how much you use as if you drive in the rain it can run down the windows and paint. My car doesn't see rain. When it gets dirty I wash it like the rest of the car, then put SVRT on after a good dry. This won't work if you have a cloth type top. 

Mine is a canvas white, so i wouldnt be able to use VRT here.

I've been trying diluted APC, with little success, but not great.   It's a fairly new top as well.   I'm still trying to figure it out.

I rarely have the top up, and don't drive in the rain (unless i am caught out unexpectedly), so its not a huge deal, but would be nice to figure out how to get the top looking super.

My Cobra has a fabric top. It's pretty clean already, but after a Dawn wax-stripping wash, I  found myself reapplying two coats of RaggTop to it. Best stuff I've found to protect the convertible top.

Edited by Drive XR7

I can not speak to cleaning a dirty or stained top but I use a 303 fabric convertible top kit to pre clean and protect the top on my Camaro. Cleaning after that is just just a matter rinsing well with clear water. Nothing that has gotten on my top in the last twoyears has stuck.

Edited by gtaragtop

Any update on how this is going Dylan?  I know some one to beta test it. I'll even let you guys demo it when you're here in January for Barrett-Jackson.  ;)

Dylan if there was a product in development that could be used for conditioning canvas tops and protecting them could this product also double and be used to protect cloth interiors as well? hypothetically speaking that is haha

I can't speak for what they're working, but if it's like RaggTop, I wouldn't.  Ragg Top produces some nasty fumes.  It's nasty enough that inside of a 2 car garage with the door open is too confined.  I'll only spray it with the car out in the open and then let my car sit outside for a bit.  Using it on the interior would create a cab I wouldn't want to breath in.