Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to tackle this paint transfer?

derekb

Question

Hey guys - just wondering how you guys would go about tackling this paint transfer in a specific area. I would use the focus pads on the big stuff, however I'm unsure how to get the damage out from the little lip in the bumper in the picture here. Thanks!

post-6835-0-05826900-1370874890_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Be very cautious with how you do this... if there is paint transfer on the bumper, then some of the bumpers paint was transferred to whatever it hit, meaning theres less paint there than you started with. Also there are some hard edges. 

Don't go too aggressive b/c you risk making the problem worse. 

When I replied earlier I was on my phone and couldn't see the full size photo. Now that I can, I see there are chips of your own paint missing among the paint transfer. In that case I would attempt to clean this up by hand before even thinking about a machine.

Yeah it's a crown Vic, one of our work cruisers. I always try clay first on these, then revive polish maybe? Or just focus pads on the drill with caution? Thanks for the advice so far all!

I'd start by claying the area first then, if it was me, I'd use the Paint Correcting Polish or SHR on an orange Hex Grip applicator before using any machine or drill. From the picture it appears the corner of the bumper was pushed in, then popped back out. The paint is not only thinner in this area, as Dylan stated, but is weakened by evidence of the chips and missing paint.

Clay doesn't work well for paint transfer, over spray yes.

A mild compound should remove it fairly easy.

I would wet sand it if no results by using compound.

Works almost everytime.

Take it slow,start with 2000 grit first.

Only wet sand if you know what you doing to not cause more damage.

Kevin

Thats a prety advanced technique, make sure you are extremely comfortable wet sanding before ever thinking about attempting it.

Yeah , that's why I said to make sure you know what you are doing when it comes to wet sanding.

I have been doing it for many years but for someone who has never done it might want to ask many questions and still be very careful.

Wet sanding can be your best friend but can could turn into the devil real quick too.

If anyone needs to sand please ask me and I'll help answer any questions that you may have.

I tell people all the time, try other options before sanding, there are so many good products out these days that can help you avoid sanding in most cases.

Kevin