Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Dirty Exhaust Tips

Performance Auto Detailing

Question

The exhaust tips on my '06 Acura have been looking pretty bad for a while now and after seeing pictures of what they are supposed to look like I decided I want to bring them back to life. I'm gonna attach pictures of the exhaust tips now and a picture of what they look like factory. If someone could give me some instructions on how to clean and/or polish them that would be great. I don't want to mess anything up. I've read about using #0000 steel wool but don't really know how to go about it. Any tips would be great!

Thanks

post-9653-0-99655700-1369329140_thumb.jpgpost-9653-0-56698400-1369329155_thumb.jpgpost-9653-0-31622300-1369329166_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

GWC and a brush should get most of the junk off. You can also clay the tips to remove anything that's really stuck on. I don't like using steel wool unless I absolutely have to. Follow up the cleaning with Adam's Metal Polish #1 to bring the metal back to life, and #2 to make them gleaming.

GWC and a brush should get most of the junk off. You can also clay the tips to remove anything that's really stuck on. I don't like using steel wool unless I absolutely have to. Follow up the cleaning with Adam's Metal Polish #1 to bring the metal back to life, and #2 to make them gleaming.

Would APC be too strong? Don't have GWC unfortunately. What would I apply the metal polish with?

I always use APC with .0000 Steel Wool to clean on any tip not "shined" up.  If it is shiny, I revert to a safe method of Detail Spray and Clay.  Or even MP #1 and Clay.  That works.  Also, if you have some DWC, that should help with the initial cleaning.  I am finding it to help out in some cases.

APC would work too. You can always dilute it if you feel it is too strong. Keep in mind APC is a degreaser whereas GWC is going to attack metallic particles like brake dust and soot. Worst case if you use the APC is you'll probably just need to clay a little more.

You can apply the Metal Polish with a microfiber applicator, the blue or orange hex grip, or even a utility towel. Just realize whatever you use for metal polishing will be strictly for metal polishing from then on out as the pad/towel will turn black.

Honestly, I polished the Borla tips on mt SS last weekend with MP 1 and 2 with one of my "shop" (not Adams) microfiber towels, and Adams Microfiber/Revitalizer cleaned it as if I never used the towel.  I mean, that stuff is unreal.  Thats all I use to clean my towels with.

on my Borla tips and mufflers I use exactly what is stated.

I normally start off with a diluted bottle of APS and clay bar. But now I have experienced better results with Deep Wheel Cleaner.

After that I usually go with Metal Polish#1 ..My tips and mufflers look like mirrors when Im done.