Customer Service 866.965.0400

Really disappointed - swirls and scratches

O2ShootTheJ

Question

So About 2 months ago I took my first swing at machine polishing with the flex on my car and it came out great.  Fast forward to now, I've washed the car between 3-5 times since them and today I went out to grab a couple spots of bird poop with the WW and the sun was hitting the paint just right to show swirls worse than they were 2 months ago as well as a lot of light scratching. 

When I wash my car I use all adams products and a foam sprayer (for regular hose not power washer)

I use a grit guard in a autozone bucket and it moves around a bit, is this a problem?

Starting to wonder if the wash pads are the issue?

I'm really thinking drying is where my issues arise though.  I have been getting a weird residue after drying the car (too much detail spray)  that usually requires buffing with a clean microfiber to get rid of.  I used a clean Double Soft after the GW drying towel last time I washed the car to get rid of the residue.  Could this have caused the swirls and scratches I got?

I also have a suspicion that the water has a lot of minerals and things in it but that's just a suspicion so can't really lay any blame on that.

Overall just really disappointed and unsure of what I did wrong that erased 10 hours of hard work :(

Edited by O2ShootTheJ

13 answers to this question

Did you wax the car after polishing with the Flex? What wax did you use?

If your grit guard moves around because the bucket is a tad too big, get some thick zip ties and do something like this so it fits snug: http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/DaveVY1/3da3bccb.jpg

Always inspect your wash pads during the wash to make sure they are free of any large particles that may scratch the paint.

Also, how often do you waterless wash? It's really meant for removing very light dust/dirt and is not a substitute for regular washing. If you use WW on a dirty enough car you could definitely induce more scratches.

The grit guard moving around quite a bit is a big problem.  The grit guard is used to keep the water from swirling thereby reducing the amount of grit that is chrned up from the wash mit entering/exiting the bucket.  Also, if you're not using two buckets, its almost a moot point.  You NEED to be running a two bucket wash in the least.  Many here run three bucket wash, foam lance/cannon, foam gun, multiple wash mitts etc.  Swirl reduction is maximized by employing as many of these tactics as possible, within your means of course.

From what you said, I think the waterless wash and the wash pads are the problem. First, I will start by washing the wash mitts very well, maybe few times, just to make sure that no particles are stuck anywhere. The waterless wash is really for extremely minor dust on the car, I personally never use waterless wash unless I have been using waterless wash since the day I washed the car (especially if it's a daily driver). In other words, if you washed your car on day 1, used waterless wash on day 2 but didn't have time to do so on day 3 then personally i would stop using waterless wash and give the car a complete wash.

Hope this helps

very cool idea for the bucket being a little too big. I bought a Lowe's bucket for $2 and seemed like a perfect fit, but after a wash i realized the grit guard will float.  Now i do a 3 bucket wash (2 adam's buckets and my Lowe's as the dirtiest one) for this reason, but i will definitely try what you did!

OP - sorry about the swirls, I know how you feel. I did my detail this past weekend and looked great but I didn't have a big light to check really well for swirls so today i looked at my car and the sun revealed that my work was not done at all  :angry: but from you write it does seem like your buffing to remove residue could very well introduce swirls.  Try strip washing the car and re-seal it and wax it so that you don't have to keep rubbing on the paint after drying it.

Did you wax the car after polishing with the Flex? What wax did you use?

If your grit guard moves around because the bucket is a tad too big, get some thick zip ties and do something like this so it fits snug: http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/DaveVY1/3da3bccb.jpg

Always inspect your wash pads during the wash to make sure they are free of any large particles that may scratch the paint.

Also, how often do you waterless wash? It's really meant for removing very light dust/dirt and is not a substitute for regular washing. If you use WW on a dirty enough car you could definitely induce more scratches.

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely try the zip tie trick that is very neat!  I used Machine super sealant after polishing back in march.

I only use WW to pretreat bugs on the front of the car before a wash and to nap bird poo off the car.  Never use it as an actual wash.  Maybe I will try to move to a 3 bucket wash.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I run 6 new/fresh MF cloths (200 gram) in a fresh wash bucket. Wash a panel and toss the used MF cloth into an empty bucket. Grab a fresh cloth and move to next panel... Saving the bottom 1/3rd of the vehicle for last. Run around it with the master blaster, fine tune with DS and a single soft (or 3).

My wash cloths never see the car for longer than one panel. I have maintained swirl-free paint with this method longer than I did with the 2 bucket and merino pad method.

My 2 ¢

Also, just throwing this out there if you have an extra grit guard laying around.  Use two Grit Guards in the rinse bucket.  ie.  Zip tie them together, but offset so the bottom fins aren't on top of one another.  Once you stop your Grit Guard from moving (I use the bucket caddy's, they perfectly compress the Grit Guard), this is something you could do in the future.  There is plenty of evidence and proof out there that two Grit Guards dramatically reduces the chance your grit will get agitated when you re-insert your wash media.  Food for thought.

Edited by 07RS4

I agree with the grit gaurd issue, but if the swirls and all are worse than before, then I would believe something else is going the wrong direction, I would check the wash mitts, if they are not clean then you are just scratching as you are washing.  I have washed my Sonata at least 50 times since I had polished it and sealed and waxed her up.  Even with the lovebugs here in Florida and all I have no swirls to mention.  SO I think something else might be causing this action.

Maybe rethink your steps and see if something else is doing it.. 

What wash mitts are you using?

Is it possible after you polished, that you did not get all the swirls out, maybe under different light you see different things?

Just looking at all possiblities....  after I wash, I use the hose for sheet rinsing, then I detail spray with GWDT and then blow excess water off, and hit again with the NEW detail spray with a blue waterless wash towel.

Got to look at all avenues...   :ph34r:

I definately agree with you there Gary, something else going on here.  I was just throwing out an "added" safety measure once he gets the real issue solved.

With you on that one 100% big daddy  :pc7424:

What Gary said:)

Totally agree,

Kevin

I agree with the grit gaurd issue, but if the swirls and all are worse than before, then I would believe something else is going the wrong direction, I would check the wash mitts, if they are not clean then you are just scratching as you are washing.  I have washed my Sonata at least 50 times since I had polished it and sealed and waxed her up.  Even with the lovebugs here in Florida and all I have no swirls to mention.  SO I think something else might be causing this action.

Maybe rethink your steps and see if something else is doing it.. 

What wash mitts are you using?

Is it possible after you polished, that you did not get all the swirls out, maybe under different light you see different things?

Just looking at all possiblities....  after I wash, I use the hose for sheet rinsing, then I detail spray with GWDT and then blow excess water off, and hit again with the NEW detail spray with a blue waterless wash towel.

Got to look at all avenues...   :ph34r:

I might agree with the OP.  The drying technique is also very crucial.  If your vehicle is waxed and sealed properly, make sure you rinse after a wash, then pool rinse to take most of the water of the car, then use a sidekick or masterblaster to take the majority of the water off the vehicle.  Then it is a light mist of detail spray and a very light swipe with a GW or double soft towel.  The less materials in contact with the paint the better.