Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirls gone, now polish lines?

PHILLIE PHANATIC

Question

Last week my first try at rotary machine polishing. Watched the Adams videos, clayed, swirl remover, polished & waxed. Looked great in the garage under the flor. lights, brought the black Vette out in the sun, OMG ! Machine lines everywhere ! Repeated all the steps again this weekend, first time I took the wax off with the machine, this time removed the wax by hand. Once again out in the sun OMG ! I think that during the swirl remover & polish that I am using TOO MUCH PRODUCT ! Will that produce all these lines that I am seeing?:mad:

18 answers to this question

Rotaries will leave buffer trails. I would say after compounding, step down to a DA polisher for polishing.

Although, I have 0 experience with a rotary, sooooo, take it as you will.

Thank you, I have been looking at the Porter Cable & the Flex. I notice that the Flex is 3 times the price, is it worth it? I'm not looking for a show car, I just want my black Vette to look nice. I am a newbie at detailing, but I have 5 vehicles, so it will get used. PC or Flex?:confused:

If you actually used a rotary for your first time ever machine polishing you might have some work ahead of you man. Without pics we don't know what you're seeing. Is it pig tails, holograms, micro marring etc etc.

Exactly, rotaries are great for correcting and absolutely demolishing paint levels, but D/A is best for finishing hologram free :)

If you actually used a rotary for your first time ever machine polishing you might have some work ahead of you man. Without pics we don't know what you're seeing. Is it pig tails, holograms, micro marring etc etc.

Man, I'm 54 yrs old, I'll have to get my kids to show me how to do pics! LOL! I don't know the difference between pig tails, holograms & micro marring?:willy: I guess it's best describe by "egot91" as "buffer trails". But don't you think that I would be better off STARTING OUT with a PC and then maybe work up to a Flex?:pc:

Man, I'm 54 yrs old, I'll have to get my kids to show me how to do pics! LOL! I don't know the difference between pig tails, holograms & micro marring?:willy: I guess it's best describe by "egot91" as "buffer trails". But don't you think that I would be better off STARTING OUT with a PC and then maybe work up to a Flex?:pc:

nah, a PC is underpowered, you'd probably just upgrade to the Flex anyways. Just go with the better machine the first time around :)

I just used my rotary on my truck this weekends, no problems, I stepped down to my PC but the results were great before the PC

I have been using a rotary for over 30 years so that helps.

Not a big problem , come back with a polish but do it by hand and go in an opposite direction of your rotary passes, it will work out:)

If I was near I'd fix it for you.

I get the best results using my rotary, the PC is only used when I use the FMP.

It's all in the pad, products and proper use of the rotary, some people knock it but IMHO it's the best way to correct paint.

Don't spend theextracmomey on the Flex, learn to use your rotary on and old hood,then follow up with the PC

I can make a video on how to use a rotary if you would like, in fact I have to do a car this weekend that a rotary will be the only way to correct it, nothing less will do.

I use very little pressure, long passes and high speed, short strokes will not work using a rotary.

Must be smooth and consistent.

Kevin

Thank you, I have been looking at the Porter Cable & the Flex. I notice that the Flex is 3 times the price, is it worth it? I'm not looking for a show car, I just want my black Vette to look nice. I am a newbie at detailing, but I have 5 vehicles, so it will get used. PC or Flex?:confused:

Lol, Kevin you gotta know how easy it is to burn through clear with a rotary with your 30 years exp. It might seem easy to you now, but think about someone who is barely grasping paint correction with a PC. Letting a rotary dwell on a sharp corner like a fender bend will probably make someone cry at the results.

I'd really like to see him pick up a Flex and correct his mistakes. It will fix what he has done and be able to correct anything he needs.

My $.02

Thought he has been using a rotary for years, sorry, misread.

If its a cost factor then I would suggest a PC, get good at it then move up.

Great start to learn paint correction.

Kevin

Lol, Kevin you gotta know how easy it is to burn through clear with a rotary with your 30 years exp. It might seem easy to you now, but think about someone who is barely grasping paint correction with a PC. Letting a rotary dwell on a sharp corner like a fender bend will probably make someone cry at the results.

I'd really like to see him pick up a Flex and correct his mistakes. It will fix what he has done and be able to correct anything he needs.

My $.02

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbsup: Thanks "Forceofwill" for your recommendation of the Flex, but at this time I didn't want to spend $380.00, I found a new PC7424XP on line for $113.99 & free shipping. I will start out with the PC and take it from there, from all that I've read about the PC it seems like a very good machine. This was my 1st thread here on Adams, the response was great, thanks again, I can't wait to use my new PC:drool:

I would strongly suggest purchasing the PC thru Adams for 2 reasons;

1. You will be getting the 110% lifetime satisfaction guarantee should anything happen or you just are not happy with it.

2. When you purchase thru Adams you will receive the backing plate to go with it (which isn't included when you buy elsewhere).

Then throw in your forum discount code and you will be good to go.

I didn't think about that, I am not getting a backing plate with it. Can I use my backing plate from my rotary?:confused:

NO! It's a different size and thread...

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Last week my first try at rotary machine polishing. Watched the Adams videos, clayed, swirl remover, polished & waxed. Looked great in the garage under the flor. lights, brought the black Vette out in the sun, OMG ! Machine lines everywhere ! Repeated all the steps again this weekend, first time I took the wax off with the machine, this time removed the wax by hand. Once again out in the sun OMG ! I think that during the swirl remover & polish that I am using TOO MUCH PRODUCT ! Will that produce all these lines that I am seeing?:mad:

Sounds like you have hologramming, which is pretty common for a beginner using a rotary polisher. Have a look at this thread for an example of a really bad rotary polish job, and note that it was corrected using the RO and DA tools.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/detailers-write-ups/21968.htm

Rotaries are only NEEDED in situations where HEAVY restoration work is needed. As far as referencing our videos to learn machine polishing with a rotary - doesn't really line up.

Thats like taking a drivers ed course to learn how to ride a bike. 2 entirely different processes, different machines, and different techniques.

I didn't think about that, I am not getting a backing plate with it. Can I use my backing plate from my rotary?:confused:

Most likely not. Almost every rotary tool I'm aware of uses a 5/8" female backing plate. The PC is going to take 5/16" male, the Flex has its own proprietary gear driven backing plate.