Customer Service 866.965.0400

REALLY baked on brake dust

teamcrossworks

Question

I did a full 9hr detail on a friend's 2006 BMW 328 yesterday and had such a hard time getting the wheels clean. I'm sure the brake dust was baking for the life of the car with only minimal automated car washing. Even using my arsenal of P21S Wheel Gel, Sonax Full effect and Adam's DWC along with a pressure washer, it took me hours to get them 85%. I hated to do it but had to resort to 0000 steel wool along with Adam's and slowly "sanded" it off.

Anyone have any other "tricks" for the really baked on crap?

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Must be some really tough stuff if DWC didn't make it come off with ease. Do you have any photos of the wheels?

I should have taken some pictures before, during and after but alas I didn't...

How many applications did you use? It may take more than one! It took 4 applications and a lot of agitation to get the dust off of my sons car!!!! The longer you leave it on the better it works!

Multi applications (second one on didn't do hardly anything), even tried APC in between to make sure it wasn't baked on tar or something. I used tons of product for naught then the steel wool finally got them decent though not as perfect as I would have liked.

It helps if you take the wheel off the car, so you can work at it from all angles. Time consuming yes, but nothing feels better than conquering this.

Also, it may take multiple times for it to start clearing away. I got a STI brake dust free after years of abuse and no "Decon" wheel cleaner ever used. Took each wheel off and attacked each one from every angle possible with endless agitation and the outcome was 4 dust free wheels and a sore arm.