Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP My car is turning PINK

crowvet

Question

Ok, gang... I bought this car new in 2008. It has only been hand washed and only had Adams products on it. It is a daily driver so it is outside. I only have 29000 miles on it and have maintained the paint at a high level. I am not a new comer to detailing or auto body work. I have been in the auto repair business for 37 years ect ect. Now that I have validated that I am not a noob:lol: here is my problem. I think my car is turning pink... it is the red jewel color used on GM's it is a Saturn Aura XR. I have included two pictures. The 2nd day I owned the car I pulled off the crappy tape pinstripes and had stripping painted on. The first picture shows where the original stripes were and how where they were is now showing because the paint around them has faded...????? Weird. The second picture is what I noticed today, it looked like tire spray or oil splattered on the fender. But in fact it was were water has beaded then dried and left these same brighter looking areas. I am dumbfounded as to what is causing this. My wife doesn't even notice a difference and says I am crazy. This is true, but something is going on here. Any Ideas?

P1030387.jpg

P1030388.jpg

13 answers to this question

Have you polished it lately? Does it seem like oxidization from sitting out in the elements?
It Is due for a paint correction, but it in no way seems like oxidation. The paint shines like crazy and still looks this way even after a correction... Kinda like a cloudyness in the clear coat

Sits outside a lot... When was the last time it was Clayed? Maybe something is settling on it...?
I clayed it about a year and a half ago. I have tried fine machine polish with the PC right next to the faded area next to the pin stripe for a considerable length of time. No difference. I use detail spray every time I wash and dry, could it build up on Americana wax? Would an isopropyl strip be worth a try? Or maybe a Flex instead of the pc?

Could it be just normal for red paint to fade? When we bought or Charger in '06, dealer said the the red had something mixed into it to prevent fading. Something to do with ultraviolet rays...

What I find strange, is why is it fading except where the tape stripes were that were removed when the car was new?

Did the dealer put any kind of a sealant package on it? They would have put it on over the stripes, and when you removed them, that area had the original clear and the other is the crap they put on showing?

Did the dealer put any kind of a sealant package on it? They would have put it on over the stripes, and when you removed them, that area had the original clear and the other is the crap they put on showing?

That is a good idea Tim, Maybe a good strip and fine machine polish. It really bugs me:willy: Maybe I have just been polishing over some sealer package. :2thumbs:

Hi Daryle, I've seen photos like these before, and while the detail job you are about to do will make this look significantly less obvious, the metallic paint & acrylic clear coat used on that Saturn had a tendency to be applied a tad too thin. Maybe it was because the panels are composite on most panels on Saturns....I'm not sure!

We found that burning the paint, getting down to the primer, was easy, possible even with a Porter Cable. Be careful, as you can over-polish that vehicle with an extremely thin clear coat, and even thinner base-coat.

Red oxidizes faster than any color, for a host or reasons, but the combo of a thin base/ clear, plus some quality time in the elements can indeed, take it's toll on your finish....and the Saturn specifically.

Do a SUPER small area to make sure the finish can handle the machine, and I'd clay, Swirl & Haze, then Fine Machine Polish the vehicle. Constantly check your polishing pad for paint color of the car!

When, once done, clay and seal the permanent outdoor car quarterly, at least. :thumbsup:

Hi Daryle, I've seen photos like these before, and while the detail job you are about to do will make this look significantly less obvious, the metallic paint & acrylic clear coat used on that Saturn had a tendency to be applied a tad too thin. Maybe it was because the panels are composite on most panels on Saturns....I'm not sure!

We found that burning the paint, getting down to the primer, was easy, possible even with a Porter Cable. Be careful, as you can over-polish that vehicle with an extremely thin clear coat, and even thinner base-coat.

Red oxidizes faster than any color, for a host or reasons, but the combo of a thin base/ clear, plus some quality time in the elements can indeed, take it's toll on your finish....and the Saturn specifically.

Do a SUPER small area to make sure the finish can handle the machine, and I'd clay, Swirl & Haze, then Fine Machine Polish the vehicle. Constantly check your polishing pad for paint color of the car!

When, once done, clay and seal the permanent outdoor car quarterly, at least. :thumbsup:

Thanks Adam for the advice... This car is basically a Chevy Malibu built on the same platform. It does not have composite panels like the older ones did. I will do all of the above, but I guess I also need to realize that the car is pushing 5 years old and lives outside. It is just hard to see them deteriorate when you are a Car and detail type person. The car still looks great, it just seems this is slowly getting worse. In the sun it looks fine. All of you have pretty much confirmed my thoughts on what to do. I will post the results when I am finished. I have never stripped this car clear down before. I am sure it will look better and it is definitely due for it. I realistically don't think I am going to totally correct the problem. ADAMS ROCKs Thanks everyone:patriot: