Customer Service 866.965.0400

Streaking Eliminated!

Nezil

Question

I've recently moved over to Adam's products from Zaino, and I'm loving the way that the Brilliant Glaze / Americana combo looks on my car.

Although I'd read really good things about Adam's Detail Spray, I really couldn't get on with it, despite having bought nearly two gallons of the stuff in all. Basically, I couldn't seem to stop it from leaving a streaky, patchy finish on my black paint.

Before anyone asks, yes I did try in direct sunlight, out of direct sunlight, cool panels, warm panels, hot days, cool evenings etc... Nothing seemed to work.

Today I tried a new technique, and solved all of my problems:

After spraying the Detail Spray onto a panel, wipe the panel with one side of a folded microfiber towel. Don't stop wiping until the product disappears leaving no streaks. Only when there is no streaking, flip the towel to a dry side for a final wipe.

My problem was that I'd wipe the Detail Spray into the panel just once, obviously leaving streaks, and then switch to the dry side of the towel too early, effectively setting the streaks into the paint!

I hadn't noticed this problem with Zaino Z6 or Z8, but I don't see it as a flaw in Adam's product, just a different application method.

I'm posting this in case anyone else has these streaking problems... hope this helps someone :)

13 answers to this question

I used a Zaino Border Free Blonde towel. It's an extremely soft towel with quite long fibers. Zaino recommends them for detail spray rather than removing polish residue, and I'd agree with that.

Do you think I'd have less issues with Adam's towels?

There are a lot of good microfiber towels out on the market, however I find them no where in comparison with the Adam's Single Soft and Double Soft Microfiber Towels when applying Detail Spray or removing polishes, waxes, etc.

Remember, this is an Adam's Polishes forum, so you are only going to get information and support for their products. I'm being honest by saying there is some good towels out there, however I am being even more honest that Adam's microfiber towels stand out above the rest. You should definitely look into the various ones they have. If you are not happy with any of them Adam's offers a 110% satisfaction guarantee! :patriot:

I do have some Adam's towels, both Single and Double actually. I've not tried the single one yet, but I have tried the double, and found it to be a bit difficult to work with because it was so 'puffed up' for want of a better description.

I chose to use my Zaino towels because they were a premium towel, and thought they were more suited to a detail spray role than Adam's towels which were more general purpose.

Of course I'll give the Adam's towel a go soon, but wasn't so much asking for advice, as offering it for anyone else who'd had my issues.

I find that streaking can occur when using the plush microfibers to remove liquid from the paint, whether it be water, DS or Waterless Wash, on darker paints.

My preference is:

1) mist panel with DS

2) waterless wash towel to remove the majority of the liquid

3) buff remaining DS off with a single soft

Since I only use the Detail Spray / Polishing Towel combo on an already clean, polished, and protected surface, I prefer to mist the towel and then wipe the paint, especially when I'm at a car show and the vette has been sitting in the sun for a while.

However, if I was using Waterless Wash to remove light dust, I'd spray the panels themselves, with more of a saturation rather than a mist.

Edited by GerryC

Thank you for the advice! I'll read the threads and see what happens!

The blonde's are great towels, and so are the single soft towels. I've used detail spray with both, and have had great results. The thing to remember is that the blondes are cotton rather than MF, so they will require a bit more buffing where the MF's wil absorb liquids quicker and the working time is less.

Jim,

I didn't realise that the Zaino Blondes were cotton and not MF. In fact I was so convinced otherwise that I did a quick search and you're absolutely correct!

I also discovered some confirmation that the towel is in fact only single sided, with a different weave on each side; something I had suspected, but never seen confirmed before.

John,

I had a chance to try the Adam's Single Soft Towel that I received with the recent 24 hour special of detail spray. I have to say that I am very impressed, and yes... no streaking at all! :o. If only they weren't so expensive!

I hadn't used the Single Soft before because I had three clean Zaino Blondes that were just sitting there, and I didn't want to start using a new towel un-necessarily.

It seems as though Jim has a point about the absorption rate of the two towels making a difference to the streaking of the finish. As I said, I hadn't noticed this before with Zaino detail sprays, but I guess that's to be expected from their own towels.

As time goes by, I'm noticing more and more that if you stick to all Adam's products, and use them exactly as the videos tell you, you get 100% good results. Deviate much from that, by using other company products, and your results can be varied... You may have success, but the chance is far lower.

I also discovered some confirmation that the towel is in fact only single sided, with a different weave on each side; something I had suspected, but never seen confirmed before.

I never paid attention to that, it may just be the back weave. I'll have to look at mine. I have one hang drying right now..