Customer Service 866.965.0400

No Phone, No Internet, No Worries...

LFairbanks

• 6 months later...

So this years adventure is going to be Bryce Canyon.  Not sure on the specifics yet, but it will be the week after the 4th of July.  Should be far easier than the Grand Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

http://www.brycecanyoncountry.com/bryce.html#moreinfo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Canyon_National_Park

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/bryce_canyon/photogallery.htm

My wife and I will be visiting the south rim next year and will be doing day hikes.

Awesome pics! Spectacular scenery, can't wait to get out there next year!

Dave, I tried to send you a PM, but your box shows full.  When are you going to make your trip?  Anything that I can do as far as knowledge or suggestions let me know.  I will be happy to share everything that I know.  Hope that you enjoy your trip when it comes up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So I'am getting ready to do my annual adventure with my brother.  Last year we did 50 miles thru the Grand Canyon over 5 days, in temps of 120 degrees.  Didn't see anybody for 3 days.  An amazing adventure.  

Our adventure this year was originally going to be to Bryce National Park.  But upon calling earlier this week we found that a majority of the backcountry trails are closed due to bear activity.  With only 7 miles of trail open.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

So now we are scrambling and looking to possibly do this.  This could even change.  Looks like fun however.

http://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

Elevation will be considerably higher (10,000') (bottom of the Grand Canyon is around 2200') and temps could be far more unpredictable than the Grand Canyon.  Just need to nail down an itinerary.

Looks like a great place to experiment with star trail photography.

http://www.nps.gov/cebr/star-parties.htm

Just a couple of pics that I pulled off the internet to share.

post-706-0-68137700-1403411698_thumb.jpgpost-706-0-52285400-1403411710_thumb.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

Looks like this is going to be this years adventure.  My brother called the Forest Service, no permit required and no bear activity.  Nice thing about no permit is we are free to go where ever and sleep where ever.  No schedule basically.  Grand Canyon we needed a permit, and applied for it on January 1st for our May trip.  And where held to making it to our scheduled stops to some extent.  First 3 days we didn't see anybody.  Last night there (Phantom Ranch) Forest Rangers were checking permits and walking people out that didn't have one.  Looking forward to this trip.  Here is a good picture.

http://www.eastziontourismcouncil.org/cbreaksecard.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/cedar-breaks-bottoms.htm

Should have a lot more time to take pictures on this trip.

Edited by LFairbanks

Getting ready to head out the door.  Hope everybody enjoys their weekend.  I know I will.  Looking forward to this and seeing some new stuff.  Showed the wife some pictures off the internet, and her comment.  "It looks prettier than the Grand Canyon".  If your curious, google "Ashdown Gorge" and "Cedar Breaks National Monument".  I will share pictures and tales of the adventure when I get back, probably Wednesday.  Have a Great Day.

Made it out alive, and home.  What an amazing adventure.  Much tougher all the way around from the Grand Canyon with the exception of the 120 degree temps that we had there.  Decent weather during the day and cold (mid 40's) at night.  Rained every day in the afternoon.  Did 34 miles on this trip.  22 between yesterday and today, on some extremely tough terrain.  Planned on coming home tomorrow sometime, but called it after being caught in torrential downpour and 12 miles of hell today.  Could have survived it had it been necessary, but chose to come home.  The couple of teaser shots that I have posted here will give you an example.  Boulder hopping and trying to keep your feet dry (especially today) all while carrying 55 pounds of gear.  Will post a more detailed day by day later.  Hope everybody enjoys these couple of pictures.  Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.  Pictures look somewhat fuzzy as I intentionally lowered image quality.

post-706-0-11972200-1404793618_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-88912200-1404793661_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-62581900-1404793702_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-21506600-1404793734_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-27530700-1404793776_thumb.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

Here is a day by day rundown on my adventure.  The more I do these, the more I want to do.  Something I can't really describe when it comes to not seeing anybody and having no contact with the outside world.  

First day we drove 3 hours to get to our starting point.  Short in comparison to the 9 hour drive to get to the Grand Canyon.  Walked about 4 miles into a meadow and pitched the tent.  Both of us were tired due to having anxiety the night before to start this adventure.  Got hailed on at about 9K feet and could see some serious thunderstorms in the distance.  Not very comforting to be high on a hillside with lightning.  Our way out was quite a bit scarier in regards to the lightning issues.  More about that later.

Next day we were up early and walked 2 miles one way to the top of a mountain called Blowhard.  Name was very fitting as it did blow pretty hard most the night before.  Reached the top which is at about 10,700 feet where the FAA keeps a radar tracking facility.  Walked back to where we started and wrapped everything up and hit the trail for another 4 miles.  Distance was short in comparison to Grand Canyon, but terrain was up and down.  Not flat.  In a lot of ways this trip was tougher than the Grand Canyon minus the 120 degree, shadeless temps we dealt with there.  

Half way thru we lost our trail.  Spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out direction and find a trail that is on a map, but rarely used and was overgrown with vegetation.  At one point we could hear a large animal get up and tromp thru the sticks.  Didn't see it, but could tell whatever it was it was big.  Not a deer either.

Made it to where we thought we should be which was a stream.  Got some fresh water and rested for a few.  Started up the stream bed which was just a bunch of boulders.  At times we would have to climb out of the river and bushwhack.  Then back into the stream bed until we got to some markers that were posted by the NPS (National Park Service).  What an amazing view.  According to the map and gps we were right in the middle at the base of the Park.  Started to sprinkle which meant that the daily afternoon rainstorm was coming.

After the rainstorm passed I went out and took some pictures.  One that I found interesting that I posted above was the two different colors of streams meeting each other.  Left side orange, and the right side gray.  This was due to the soil in each of the canyon creating the runoff after the rainstorm.  Next morning both sides where clear again.

Woke up early the next day to some birds that I have never heard before.  They had some interesting early morning chirps.  Soothing to say the least.  That coupled with the sound of the creek near where we had the tent.   Had some breakfast, coffee, blueberries, granola and milk cereal.  Along with some oatmeal.  Grabbed some snacks, water and our purification gear and went for a long walk up a canyon coincidently named "Adams Canyon".  

Tried to see if we could climb to the top and out but it became too dangerous.  Easy going up, getting down a different story.  Went up another side canyon and explored that as far as we could go.  Then went back to the tent just before it started to rain and had some ice cream and took a nap.  Had walked 6 miles at this point.  Then got up and went up another side canyon and explored that to the end.  Lost my water bottle at one point due to putting the camera away and walking away with out picking it back up.  Found it on the way back.  Still had a 6 liter bladder in the tent, but use the bottle as a quick drink in the middle of the night or short walks.  This was a 4 mile roundtrip, so 10 mile that day.  My brothers comment was that is too much for being on vacation and having a down day.  Didn't have to carry all of our gear however.  

Next day, Monday, we were up early.  Had breakfast and hit the trail.  Got turned around again.  Easy to do if your not paying close attention.  Back tracked and followed the stream bed out.  Quite interesting to say the least.  Some serious water has run through there at times carving a path into the rock.  One point we could see where rocks had fallen from above and smashed huge logs like matchsticks.  This ended up being really difficult.  Trying to keep your feet dry and trying to find a path from one side to the other of the stream bed as we made our way back to the highway then to a mile walk up the road to the car.  The last mile it became impossible to keep the feet dry and ended up swapping out my boots for my Teva's.  It then started to downpour.  Hard.  Thru on the rain gear and couldn't find a way out of the creek bed, but could see the road.  So up a steep, open, rocky hillside in the pouring rain, with thunder right over head.  Hoping we wouldn't become a lightning statistic.  We could see it striking close by.  Not comforting at all to say the least.  

Made it back to the car.  My brothers feet were soaked as he had no sandals with him on this trip.  And his description were his feet felt like hamburger due to 12 miles of boulder hopping down the stream bed.  Very difficult to say the least.  Our original plan was to drive to the top and spend the night and come home the next day.  Decided to call it and come home on Monday afternoon.  Quite the experience.  Will post up pictures in a link when I get them done.

Also forgot to add that I heard a huge tree crash in the middle of the night that made a huge boom and woke me up.  Crazy to hear something like that real time, in the dark no less. 

Edited by LFairbanks

Here is the link to my pictures.  Some will have a description under them.  I posted only a handful of what I took.  Not the best at photography, but I do enjoy it.  Packing a heavy camera on these trips is work.  

http://lfairbanks31.smugmug.com/Nature/Cedar-Breaks-2014/42829568_JH9P9M

password is:  Cedar Breaks

Sorry again for the watermarking.  I think most know why I do it like that.  Have tried it small and in the corner and have had issues with that.

May post some more later on.  

Edited by LFairbanks

• 6 months later...

So this years adventure is going to be to Grand Staircase-Escalante.  Looks like it should be a ton of fun and some possible challenges.  Called on Friday to have the BLM send me some additional info.  In talking to the woman on the phone, heat shouldn't be near what we dealt with in the Grand Canyon a couple years ago, but things can always change in the desert.  Thunderstorms miles away can create flash flooding where you may be.  Being prepared is essential to survival.  Navigation will be more difficult.  Haven't picked a definitive route as of yet.  Lots of slot canyons which should be fun.  Extremely excited for this one.  Here are a couple of pictures that I dug up off the internet of the area.

https://utah.com/playgrounds/canyons_of_escalante.htm

https://utah.com/hike/grandstaircase.htm

post-706-0-45413200-1422160579_thumb.jpg  post-706-0-43868600-1422160649_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-38102000-1422160517_thumb.jpg  post-706-0-78701400-1422160548_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-17723400-1422160565_thumb.jpg  post-706-0-30726100-1422162051_thumb.jpeg

Edited by LFairbanks

• 3 weeks later...

Have an itinerary picked out.  Going  to take 5-6 days to do it.  One way in, One way out.  No trail.  Kept getting told knowing how to navigate is a must.  A lot of walking in water.  And easy to get lost.  According to office where permits are obtained.  Should be lots of fun.  Was also told to try and not drink water out of the main river due to nastiness unless absolutely necessary.  Was told to find pools in the rocks and drink from those.  Loop is roughly 35 miles without exploring side canyons.  From the pictures that I have shown my wife that I have found on the internet, she thinks the scenery is more picturesque than that of the previous trips. 

Going to do Fools Canyon and Coyote Gulch.  First two pictures are of Fools Canyon that I found on the internet.  The last two are of Coyote Gulch that I also found on the internet.

post-706-0-19327400-1423881962_thumb.jpg  post-706-0-00947400-1423881977_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-19891400-1423881996_thumb.jpg  post-706-0-88517500-1423882058_thumb.jpg