Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polish flashing

Ironterp

Question

Does anyone have or can anyone do a side by side shot of polish before and after it's flashed. I'm getting ready to do my big spring detail in a week or so and last year this is the only thing I really struggled with (not knowing how long to work the polish). When I polished before, it seemed as if the polish was transparent and 'greasy' looking almost immediately so I never really saw where it flashed or changed consistency. I think a lot of people could benefit from this. Thanks!

20 answers to this question

Not sure of what you mean by "flashed". With the Fine Machine Polish, I go over it until it pretty much is transparent then wipe it off immediately. I have found that you don't need much on the pad to do a 2x2 area on the car.

Not sure of what you mean by "flashed". With the Fine Machine Polish, I go over it until it pretty much is transparent then wipe it off immediately. I have found that you don't need much on the pad to do a 2x2 area on the car.

As a matter of fact, what you described would be what he means by "flashed".

I know OP said that it looks transparent early on, which is causing some confusion. But for the sake of defining flash, Adam states in the Volume 7 DVD that the product will go from "opaque to transparent".

This may be a silly question, but what color is the vehicle? I have noticed that darker vehicles will give you a more obvious "flash".

It's hard to predict or guess a flash point as a polish will flash differently depending on paint temperature, humidity, pad used, pressure, arm speed, etc.

But as others have said, you will see the polish turning from opaque to transparent with every pass. Don't work it past it's flash point as the oils that have "flashed" provided lubrication. Stop before you go to long and if you have to, mist a small amount of DI water or DS to extend the life of the polish.

Thanks for the input. I was just looking for someone who maybe had a side by side shot of polish just applied and polish that had been worked long enough. It seemed to become greasy and transparent a lot faster than I had expected and I want to make sure I'm working the polish long enough. I know the temperature/humidity can effect this but on average how many passes up/down side/side do you guys make with the pc and flex per section?

Depending on color,, hard to tell. White is really hard to tell on.

This is the time when, practice makes perfect.. Play with it, till you see the difference. For sake of big words, should go on like a past color as you are working it in. When it is worked in, will look like clear oil for lack of better terms. Almost like thin greasy coat on the vehicle. If you are not getting that, could be to much product on pad. Hit pad with some detail spray prior to putting polish on, then after you work it, and unsure hit it with some more detail spray, then start again. You will see more product come off the pad. should help to notice difference. :thumbsup:

If I still had my black truck I'd head outside right now and get you a side by side... its pretty obvious when a polish is flashed.

Unfortunately on silver theres no way you're gonna see it on camera. If I can get my hands on decent color for pictures this weekend I'll happily take a couple shots.

I haven't had anything dark to work on and capturing a picture of it on any color is difficult... on silver or white (my only 2 vehicles right now) its next to impossible.

Have you watched the updated instructional videos yet? Might give you a better idea.

Adam's Polishes Detailing Video Vol. 7 - 2012 UPDATE!

Yes, I watched those.

I was suppose to head up to PA this weekend and Charlie (Riechler) and Dave (BRZN) were going to help me but things came up for both of them, and with this being my last free weekend before football starts the first weekend of Aug. Its now or never.

You can easily see the FMP flash in this video I made for Dylan to see regarding speed of the Flex and my technique. Actually, in both passes it's clear when the polish 'flashes' although in person it's slightly later than the video shows. Hope this helps!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupqG3pWa90&list=UUsgbzdtbi6El8VgBsmFwEog&index=2&feature=plcp]Flex and Adams (White Pad) - YouTube[/ame]

I just bought a Flex polisher and, as a newbie, I was wondering how long I should work the polish once it flashes?

I the video that was posted it appears that you make a few passes after its flashed. When you're done is there a lot of polish residue remaining or is the car virtually dry?

I am concerned that, even though I am using the "X" technique to apply the polish, I may be using too much or not working a large enough area.

Of course my car is black so that makes it extra fun.............

First off, Welcome Dave!

I just bought a Flex polisher and, as a newbie, I was wondering how long I should work the polish once it flashes?

I the video that was posted it appears that you make a few passes after its flashed. When you're done is there a lot of polish residue remaining or is the car virtually dry?

I am concerned that, even though I am using the "X" technique to apply the polish, I may be using too much or not working a large enough area.

When the polish flashes stop working it. Flashing means is at the end of it's useful life, and working it longer can introduce marring.

new to the whole "fine" detailing scene , what does flashing mean

When the polish becomes translucent, or like vaseline. When it gets to this stage you should stop working the polish.