Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I crazy?

NeonSRT-4

I've been told by a couple of friends that I am crazy to put my son on a work out program. Here are his stats: 6' 1" and 175lbs. Our goal is to make him faster ad stronger before football season arrives (which is in August). Last year as a freshman he started on defensive line and was on the second string offensive live...JV team. He got the chance to get into one varsity game and he played the whole second half.

I've been told that he is too young to start out with weights...that I should just run him and only do sit up and push up. Our fear is that the other kids are already in the work out room, hitting the weights and we don't want him to fall too far behind. He is naturally strong (and I mean strong) and we want to build on that.

So with that being said, what is the consensus on this subject....oh wait..I forget his age, he is 14. Let me know if I am crazy for doing this....thank you.

I'm not all into the whole workout thig but through the army I've learned some stuff from some of the guys I work with officially aloud to coach olympics I would personally try some of the cross fit gets you in great shape with good endurance it includes some weights but not much...if you have that fear...I'll get you a website for some cross fit my commander does

I'm not all into the whole workout thig but through the army I've learned some stuff from some of the guys I work with officially aloud to coach olympics I would personally try some of the cross fit gets you in great shape with good endurance it includes some weights but not much...if you have that fear...I'll get you a website for some cross fit my commander does

I don't want to hurt him or over work him...that's my biggest fear. I would appreciate any and all assistance I can get. Thanks.

What kind of workouts are you making him do?

I say 16+ have him lifting weights, building his upper and lower body. Now remember, lifts weights isn't going to make him build muscle mass unless he eats properly. Working out is only 10% to gaining muscle. The other 90% is eating healthy and have a large protein intake.

Also being an athlete building muscle is great, but he should also be working on his flexibility and agility. I say have him lifting weights, cross fit and cardio.

I wouldn't judge how much to work out just based on age, I'm 17 and barely work out but I don't need to. My swim technique is good enough that muscle won't help too" much, not sure if football is the same. Weird talking bout it but make sure his body can handle weights. A trip to the doctor to see where he is at?

My biggest regret is continuing to play when I was hurt. Keep an eye on him, if he gets hurt he has to fully recover. No slap on the butt and get back in the game, get the injury healed whatever it is. I'm paying for it now.

Be mindful of the amount of weight he is squatting and dead lifting, his discs are still soft and growing. The compressive loads on his back can really cause problems later in life. Focus more on repetitions of lighter weights as opposed to the "Max" lifts. He can build to those Max lifts late in his junior or senior years.

If he's naturally strong you are already a step ahead of the other kids. Good luck man and all the best to your boy.

I personally don't think you are crazy for this. When I was freshman going into sophomore year we ( the football team) worked out fairly hard, I personally was 15 at the time though. Coaches stressed the injury thing, no reason to work out if your injured.

Thanks for all the input we appreciate it.

I understand that his diet has to change and protein intake is key. I've been reading up on this and just wanted to get others opinion to make sure that I'm not totally off my rocker.

We plan on working agility and cardio really hard and the weights will be worked in the routine. Our plan is to get him ready for Linebacker/Tight End. I don't think he is "big" enough to play offensive/defensive line this year.

Already had the physical and he is good to go.

I was just checking to see if anyone has experience with this sort of thing. I'm 42 years old and I've never "worked out" per say. I've done some cardio and such but nothing with weights.

I don't think so at all, that is a great age to start. The only thing I have heard/read about it not to do much Olympic type lifting at that age.

My son began working out as a freshman in HS, and when he was a sophomore I found this workout program - The Complete Basketball Strength and Speed Program | Basketball Strength Training | Basketball Speed Training | Hoops U.. It is based around basketball, but it has some fantastic information (100 different core/ab exercises!). Also check out James Madison's Strength & Conditioning site for lots more information - nutrition, workouts, dynamic stretching, etc, with lots of videos - JMU Strength & Conditioning.

I did the workout with him for one summer, and I was in pretty good shape!

As a guy who played football from pee-wee up into college I can tell you getting in the gym at his age is a must. Other atheletes at that age will be in the weight room trying to get as many competitive advantages as possible, especially in high school where the size, height, and weight range can vary so greatly from one kid to the next. My father was a coach and he had me gradually work into a routine, not getting into it hardcore right away, and monitored my progress. The biggest thing I can stress is consistency and variance. Also, one mistake I made when I started going on my own was not enough conditioning and too much time in the weight room since I thought that was the cool thing to do. Make the conditioning practical, fun, and applicable to football, or other sports he may play.

Overall, I would have regretted not working out like I did, would have severally diminished my playing ability compared to other athletes. Without only taking weigh protein, and nothing else I went from 5'10 148 lbs to 6'2 215 between freshman and senior year.

I would say consult with your doctor on what the body is capabe of doing at his age and what is safe. I know so many kids that work out here for football it is unreal. We got a kid here, a junior this year... will start off line next year again. he is 6-5 275. could bench press a Abrams M-1 Tank. works out all the time.

So check and see what he is capable of doing.. Check with a Personal Trainer a reputable one that is. Get all the facts from the right people who would know.

But alot of it is physical conditioning and 100 % heart... If you dont have it within,,, big ole plates on a bar will not make you. :2thumbs:

I started working out for Football & Baseball at age 13.

Started very light with basic exercises and went to weight lifting. Stay with light weights.. He can hurt himself if he pushed too much with heavy weight at that age.

Cardio & cross fitness is a plus and a must. Diet is very very important.

Swimming will do wonders for the upper body & cardio ..highly recommend

This was 30 years ago for me. but it was different back than.. you did not have the precautions you have now. Check with his Doc and get his approval make sure he is healthy and ready.

Do Not over work him!!

Working out at that age is fine, as long as there isn't any extreme weight involved. More of a conditioning program is what will work the best with endurance. Cross-Fit is one heck of an amazing workout. You probably only need to go 1 (maybe twice) time a month since it's pretty intense. You can learn a lot of the workouts they do in Cross-Fit and apply them at home or at your gym.

Just remember to take it easy when working out in the summer months especially with the humidity.

Good luck, and always have fun with it! :thumbsup:

I'd say to consult with a personal trainer. Your son is still growing and most likely will for a few years yet. Proper form and nutrition are key. A personal trainer will be able to help you create an appropriate program and tell you what to watch out for.

I don’t think you are crazy at all. Like one of the others stated before, putting him in a weight program will actually reduce the risk of injury.

I started on a weight program between 6th and 7th grade, and I turned out just fine. I needed the program bad since I was 170lbs and 5’0” the summer of between 6th and 7th grade. I started a nutrition and weight program, and by wrestling season in 7th grade I was down to 105lbs. I started working out really hard especially between 8th and 9th grade.

By my junior year in High School I was 5’10” 220lbs. Benching 300lbs (started high school at 140lbs)and squatting 600. Now I was just naturally strong and build like a brick **** House, just like my dad. Now I don’t know how big the guys your son will be blocking, but I started Offensive and Defensive Line and I was going up against guys that were over 6’2” pushing 300lbs or more, and I had a difficult time since I was only 5’10” 220. Your son being 6’1” and only 175 lbs might have a hard time stopping some of those big guys, and could risk getting hurt. I think he could stand to gain a few lbs of muscle, but you don’t want to push him too hard. Like I said I was naturally strong and I was able to gain muscle very quick. I know lots of people who worked out just as hard as me and could never get as strong, or gain the weight as I did.

With that being said, Im not a professional trainer or a doctor. Make sure you talk to one of those to make sure it is ok

Thanks for all the input we appreciate it.

I understand that his diet has to change and protein intake is key. I've been reading up on this and just wanted to get others opinion to make sure that I'm not totally off my rocker.

We plan on working agility and cardio really hard and the weights will be worked in the routine. Our plan is to get him ready for Linebacker/Tight End. I don't think he is "big" enough to play offensive/defensive line this year.

if i may:

you're on a shortened time schedule...so you won't be able to do a proper "bulk" for him. so i'd do a 6 day workout. Chest/tri, HIIT cardio, back/bicep, endurance cardio, LEGS, flexablity & stretch cardio, rest, repeat. weights should be heavy with low reps and sets. lift for strength. always increase. use those 2 pounders. this should increase strength and over all cardio power.

Keep his diet up with high protein and carb. say....2700 cal. if the gain isn't there after the first week...increase 200.

Archived