Customer Service 866.965.0400

What does your house look like?

Maxspeed

^^^ Agreed. We have a 2400 sq ft home that's only on 0.11 acre piece of land. We paid $500k (which was a steal) and our taxes are over $7k a year and we don't even have a garage. I love living in CT but damn it's expensive.

I understand completely.. I have a 2000sq ft home. I have about .65 acre and pay 7k a year taxes. they just devalued my home in my town ..not too happy about it.

CT is nice but way too expensive to live in IMO with all the taxes they hit you on. I just started to look for work outside CT. Been living here my whole life 42 years and its time to get out. I'm thankful I have about 50% equity in my home so at least I can put a substantial down payment on another home somewhere else.

Are you in the oil industry?

yeah, i'm a Reservoir Engineer. my wife is an oil&gas recruiter so she can work from anywhere. Williston, ND i here is just as bad if not worse than Midland as far as influx of workers and difficulty finding shelter

What trades are you doing? I thought someone was building it for you?

what do you mean? and yeah a builder is building it, not me physically, LOL! although that would be fun and gratifying. it was a spec home that the builder was building expecting someone to purchase it once it was done, but we swooped in halfway through construction and put a contract down before they listed it. gives us a chance to make a few decisions on some items. floors, cabinets, and granite had already been ordered, but we like what they picked out.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

yeah, i'm a Reservoir Engineer. my wife is an oil&gas recruiter so she can work from anywhere. Williston, ND i here is just as bad if not worse than Midland as far as influx of workers and difficulty finding shelter.

Sweet. Sounds like a good team you and your wife have. I'm in the maritime industry and work as a Chartering Rep working with oil brokers at Shell (among other oil majors) to move oil on our vessels. Mainly black oil and some clean. 80% of my vessels work in the Gulf mainly out of Houston and NOLA.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread! BACK TO THE HOUSES!!!

To give u guys an idea of what we went through finding a home:

U.S. cities where homes sell the fastest, 2012 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Midland is #1 on this list but I know for a fact zillows estimates are off. Anything that's for sale between 200-400k sells within a week unless it's a bad location or needs major remodeling. and they usually sell for the asking price.

Good grief, I have no idea how some of you afford these places! I'm a single computer engineer employed in the telecom industry with a Masters degree, but looking at some of these places makes me feel downright poor! I'm currently a renter. I was hoping to buy my first place later this year, but that might get pushed out a bit to allow more savings, less penny pinching, and more certainty on my part about location. I'll be looking at under $200k, though. Probably closer to $160k.

... And no, the Adams products are not helping with the savings. Good grief, do I want a Flex. Of course, I haven't even touched the Gen III pads for my PC that I ordered a few months back. Car's in need of some serious love.

Very nice homes!

Good grief, I have no idea how some of you afford these places! I'm a single computer engineer employed in the telecom industry with a Masters degree, but looking at some of these places makes me feel downright poor! I'm currently a renter. I was hoping to buy my first place later this year, but that might get pushed out a bit to allow more savings, less penny pinching, and more certainty on my part about location. I'll be looking at under $200k, though. Probably closer to $160k.

... And no, the Adams products are not helping with the savings. Good grief, do I want a Flex. Of course, I haven't even touched the Gen III pads for my PC that I ordered a few months back. Car's in need of some serious love.

You need a sugar momma! :)

Wow Everyones Houses on Here are So Nice. Makes Me embarrassed of my 760 sqft Fixer-Upper. I definitley dont want to post pics now.

But How many 27 year olds can say they own a house outright and are 100% dept free. Not That Many.

My Wife and I purchased our House last summer for and extremly low low low price. We decided instead of spending $160-220K on a house, we would use the money we would normaly spend on a down payment and buy an entire house, put a little money and elbow grease into it and sell it in 4 years (when my wife is done with College) and make a big nice profit, use that profit to increase the budget for our next house, or use that money it do upgrades to the next house as well.

I will probably post up some before and after pics of the renovation we have planned for this summer.

Smart man.

There are some spectacular homes on here. In this area the housing market is still alitttle crazy when it comes to price. All the really cool houses we looked at do not come with any property. They just stack the new house on top of each other.

All this talk about 200-400k houses.

In metro Detroit you can buy a 1200 sq ft ranch for 20-25k LOL

Now if I only had some money...

edit: I have a friend who bought a house in the crap part of Detroit for $1,000 cash.

Amazing how bad things are around here.

Funny. I am a telecommunications engineer, with an MBA, working in telecommunications for a large financial services firm. My job is moving to The Raleigh area at the end of 2013. Not sure if I will move yet, but I have been looking at homes down there. It is amazing what we could buy down there for the same $, or less, as what we have here!

trade

   /treɪd/ Show Spelled [treyd] Show IPA noun, verb, trad·ed, trad·ing, adjective

some line of skilled manual or mechanical work; craft: the trade of a carpenter; printer's trade.

ohh, LOL i thought you meant like trading something for the house! :cheers:

i guess my earlier post answered that.

Now if I only had some money...

edit: I have a friend who bought a house in the crap part of Detroit for $1,000 cash.

Amazing how bad things are around here.

yikes! i dunno if thats a good investment or a bad one :willy:

alright so i finally uploaded the pics from our good camera of our house. here's the highlights...

front with have a patio that wraps around that corner

post-2402-136818070469_thumb.jpg

my favorite part!

post-2402-136818070478_thumb.jpg

looking into the living room from the kitchen

post-2402-136818070485_thumb.jpg

i'm excited to see the progress they've made once i move there May 1st. just in time for all the little detail work to begin

Here's mine. Been here 9 years now. 1500sf, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. 600sf garage. We paid 160k for it in 2003. Currently got a 20 year loan, and should be paid off within ~8 years or so.....

100_9174.jpg

And then the back yard. It was completely dirt when we moved in....

100_9172.jpg

100_9167.jpg

Looks nice there, Ryan. I like the 10 foot ceilings. If I were to do it again that is what I would do. I have 13 foot vaulted ceilings in half my house and it is a lot to heat/cool. My gas bill in the winter is about $130 and electricity in the summer is about $200 for 4000 square feet. My house faces west so in the summer afternoons it gets the hot sun.

Are you going to brick the whole thing or do a wainscote?

Edited by LFairbanks

Looks nice there, Ryan. I like the 10 foot ceilings. If I were to do it again that is what I would do. I have 13 foot vaulted ceilings in half my house and it is a lot to heat/cool. My gas bill in the winter is about $130 and electricity in the summer is about $200 for 4000 square feet. My house faces west so in the summer afternoons it gets the hot sun.

Are you going to brick the whole thing or do a wainscote?

all 4 sides are going to be brick. it'll be energy star rated, so hopefully the utilites will be reasonable :xfingers:

it'll be energy star rated, so hopefully the utilites will be reasonable :xfingers:

Sounds like fluff IMHO. To a new homeowner like yourself it sounds great. IMHO any contractor that builds a home now days they should be able to pass for an energy star rated home. I built mine 12 years ago and Iam sure it would pass, even today. All my exterior walls are 2X6 with expanding foam sprayed in them to seal any exterior penetrations. This was done all the way down to where the floor joists meets the foundation. All plumbing and electrical going through top plates were sealed as well. I have Milgard windows with the Low E coating. A 95% efficient furnace with a 21 seer AC unit. Minimum seer requirements for equipment put in now days is 13. And then I have 350 bags (not the small ones you see at HD) of cellulose in the attic. My exterior doors every couple of years I replace the door sweeps and weather stripping.

I live close to Metro Airport in a very nice area. There are a few homes around our area that a few years ago were priced at $300k and one just sold for $190k within the past few months. Over 2500 sq. ft brick, attached 2 car garage and 5 acres. Crazy. :willy:

Alot of the people in Metro Detroit have lost their homes because of the bad economy. Foreclosures are everywhere. Its almost worth it to buy homes for rentals if you can afford it because everyone's credit has gone to crap. We have no problem renting out our other house.

Sorta sad.

We put our old home on the market on a Tuesday (FSBO) and sold it to the first couple that walked through it on Saturday. We must have done something right with it. lol

Chris