Customer Service 866.965.0400

TBSS Wheels

JBlack151

Question

Any advice on what would work best on the SS wheels that have the clear coating on them. Would the Revive Polish be a good option to bring them back to how they were off the factory line, or better?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Since they are clear coated, treat them exactly like you would paint. Revive would be a quick fix by hand, but if they are really beat, some 4" focus pads with SHR and FMP would do the trick.

Or you could really bite the bullet and strip the clear off and polish those bad boys! Once you get them stripped, you can use the Metal Polish #1 and #2 combo and really make them shine.

The cavet with bare aluminum is that you have to seal them and maintain them since they won't have any clear coat to protect them. That's where either Machine Super Sealant or the Spray Sealant would come into play. Once you get them sealed, a coat or two of Americana will make them look like chrome.

I wouldn't know anything about stripping/polishing TBSS wheels though, it's not like I'm in the middle of doing a set of them or anything.....

They are in pretty good condition still, but I know there is a little more shine in them. I thought about stripping the clear off, but I'm eventually going to put some Factory Reproduction gloss black wheels on so I plan to keep the stockers for the winters. I'll go with the Revive and see what results I get. Thanks everybody!

#5.5 (half point for being a former TBSS owner)

Set your expectations reasonably, the factory finish on GM wheels isn't exactly perfect to begin with. You're never going to get a really nice shine out of them... the clear is sprayed over the wheels in less than perfect condition, essentially sealing in the lack of shine and any imperfections. Mine were really dull on the inside of most of the spokes for example, but since the issue is below the clear theres nothing you can do to address it short of stripping the wheels or repainting.

As the others pointed out, just use the same stuff you'd use on the rest of the truck - start by cleaning then claying... once they're decontaminated polish to remove imperfections, then seal to protect.

IMHO you don't need to go to the repros... have your factory wheels shot black. Thats what I did with my stock 20's... the wheels look much bigger in black than they do in the stock color, also costs much less. I paid $550 total to have all 4 shot with GM factory Onyx black with a bunch of clear... I saved some money by sanding them down myself before taking them in.

DSC_5403.jpgDSC_4760.jpg

DSC_5400.jpgrszdc0829.jpg

Wow, Dylan I thought you had some FR's on yours. I'd consider having my stocks painted however with the harsh winters here in CT I would prefer to have a winter set which would be the stocks. Although I only drive my SS to/from the train station totaling about 6 miles a week on it so they really don't get put into bad weather that much.

Who knows, I may just go get estimates in my area for having mine painted.

Thanks for all the great advice from all you TBSS and non TBSS owners. I love this site!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Archived