37 members have voted

1. 1. What % tint?

• 40%
    • 35%
    • 30%
    • 20%
    • 5%
    • ...Where is the black spray paint

I have 20% on my side windows and nothing on my front windshield. Staties have pulled me over for nothing but window tint and my car looks fairly stock, nothing aftermarket to stand out from the crowd.

I'm pulling the Llumar 20% and doing Huper Optik 50% on all side windows and entire front windshield to keep the interior protected but at the same time the police as well since they will be able to see my face.

20% all around (except front windsheild) but I also have a "letter" from my optomologest that states that I am "light sensitive" which means bright light actually reduces my ability to see clearly. :xfingers: So far so good ::-)

Remember you still have to look out this window at night.

X2.

If you have no visual correction you see 20/20. At night in typical driving conditions with clear windows your visual acuity drops to about 20/40. So at night your visual acuity drops 25% but your contrast sensitivity drops 60%. Contrast sensitivity is what allows you to perceive the pedestrian about to cross in front of you in dark clothing against a similar dark background.

"Objects can be seen at night only if they are either lighter or darker than their background and can be discriminated by subtle differences in contrast. Visual acuity is critically influenced by small differences in the brightness (contrast) between objects and their background. At night, contrast discrimination is reduced due to low illumination."

Uri Polat

Goldschleger Eye Research Inst, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University

Risk factors for car accidents due to reduction of visual abilities during low light conditions

http://www.oryarok.org.il/webfiles/audio_files/uri_polt.pdf

Tinted front windows look cool and are a personal choice. For me I'll some day get the rear windows tinted but not the front for the reasons listed above.

For more information:

Night Vision

The Eye and Night Vision | American Optometric Association

The Police Policy Studies Council

Mr Wizard the Optical Guru signing off. PEACE! :cheers:

Archived