Customer Service 866.965.0400

Official 2012 MLB Thread - Wanna talk baseball? Come on in!

Team Adam's

yeah buddy!!!!

Nice!

On a side note, kinda let down by the HR Derby. Some of the bombs were moonshots but other than that it wasn't good. I hate to hear anyone boo players. Yeah they were hoping to get a hometown guy in the contest but most of the Royals are a few years away from being really good imo.

Edited by txredgt

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't have been an issue if Rob Cano hadn't said what he said prior to picking his team... he gave the Royals fans false hope then they raked him over the coals for it. I found it a little classless to be honest - its an exhibition for entertainment, to boo the guy when he was announced I get it, to harass him for every swing was a little childish of the fans.

I also agree that the derby gets a little stagnant in the middle. Not sure how you clear that up when you have 2 guys like Kemp and Cano combine for 1 HR... that was 20 outs for 1 blast, they almost need to shorten the field of competitors next year. Maybe only 3 guys from each league?

Even though I didn't get the count right (+14? Yikes!) I feel vindicated because my pick of the Young Prince was spot on.

Actually - if Kemp and Cano would have done ANYTHING I would have been right there.

Trumbo was very impressive. It's very rare for a rookie to do well in this contest. Joey Bats just got a bit tired. Prince is a BEAST!

Love the fountain hits!

welp i call for a recount on votes david wright should be starting his stats are way better. oh and of course they wont start the better pitcher dickey because they are afraid the catcher wont be able to catch a ball ROFL please hes getting paid millions of dollars to catch a ball he should learn.

Like I told Dylan, I had to listen to it on the radio. Hearing Bermann's voice is enough to NOT watch ESPN ever. Not only that, but ESPN IMO has ruined this thing. Selig and ESPN must have a real good relationship...they both aren't good for the game.

I spend less time watching ESPN now that there's the MLB channel and the MLB package on DirecTV but I have to defend them here. I don't think it's a coincidence that the explosive growth of MLB over the last two decades has corresponded with the growth of ESPN.

The same could be said for Selig. While I certainly don't agree with EVERYTHING he's done and said you can't deny the success the sport has enjoyed during his tenure.

MLB channel 213 is about the only station on my TV if I'm controlling the remote.

I actually programmed a "213" button on my remote just in case someone (GASP!) was watching something else when I go to it.

This made me LOL yesterday... 90% of Angels fans saw the first part of this articles title on their RSS feed and started jumping for joy, then they opened it and found out it was only the banner out front :(

Angels make Wells disappear ... from stadium entrance

m6voat-b78978751z.120120708221909000go918v9ee.1.jpg

ANAHEIM – For hundreds of dollars, the Angels have made Vernon Wells disappear from the front of the stadium.

It will take about $50 million more to take him completely out of the picture.

Angels All-Star Mark Trumbo has replaced Vernon Wells alongside Jered Weaver and C.J. Wilson in the promotional banners at the main entrance to Angel Stadium.

During the team's recent nine-game trip to Baltimore, Toronto and Cleveland, one of the large promotional banners at the main entrance of Angel Stadium was swapped out. Wells' banner was replaced by one featuring All-Star Mark Trumbo. The new banner was in place for the four-game series against the Baltimore Orioles that ended the first half of the season this weekend.

The decision to swap out one of the banners (one of the most striking promotions that greet fans at the stadium) in mid-season is apparently unprecedented. It was a marketing decision – one made with no input from the baseball operations side of the Angels' front office – according to a team spokesman.

"Everything we try to do around here from a marketing standpoint, we try to keep current," said Angels vice-president of communications Tim Mead. "It's just simply the fact that he's on the 60-day disabled list and you've got a couple other options that are performing and active. That's it."

Wells has been on the DL since May 20 when he tore a ligament in his right thumb. He had surgery two days later and is not expected back until the end of this month at the earliest. Wells is still one of the players featured in promotional photos around the stadium (on pillars throughout the concourses, for example)

The Angels did have another prominent player go down with an injury that landed him on the 60-day DL – and kept him out of action for nearly two years. But Kendrys Morales was not featured on one of the six super-sized banners at the main entrance to the stadium.

"Out front – that's a big focal point of our marketing," Mead said. "It's no different than the way we change ads (on TV and radio) over the course of the season to stay current."

The Angels also plan to replace the banner featuring the team's ace Jered Weaver with a more up-to-date photo (featuring the long hairstyle Weaver currently sports). Weaver's current banner (like Wells') has been up since the start of the 2011 season. Other banners – featuring Mike Scioscia and Bobby Abreu and commemorating the franchise's 50th anniversary season – have been replaced this year by banners featuring the team's big off-season acquisitions, Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson.

Wells began increasing his workouts over the past week, starting a throwing program and strengthening exercises that involved gripping a bat. During the All-Star break this week, Wells is headed back to his home in the Dallas area where he is expected to start swinging a bat – the first step in a progression that will take him through 'dry swings' (swinging without contact), hitting off a tee, soft toss, batting practice and eventually playing in games on a minor-league injury-rehabilitation assignment.

Under contract at $21 million per season through 2014, Wells has under-performed since his acquisition from the Toronto Blue Jays before the 2011 season. His return to the active roster will create a dilemma for the Angels who have had two All-Star outfielders (Trumbo and rookie Mike Trout) emerge during Wells' absence – making it possible that Wells could become either a very expensive fifth outfielder or a disruptive presence in the lineup.

"You always face different situations," Scioscia said. "This thing could turn six different ways by the time he comes back and plays so you really can't speculate on what's going to happen.

"What Vernon does – he's a special player when he's right and that's his focus right now, getting healthy. We'll obviously look at where we are and what's going on (when he returns). But it's still a long ways away."

Peter Bourjos drives a pretty sick Camaro... but hes also still not making big bucks being only his 2nd full season in the bigs. Can't imagine guys with the big money wouldn't already have a ZL1 if they wanted/appreciated what it was.

Melky will probably give it to a member of his entourage :D