Customer Service 866.965.0400

Questions for the Junkman!

irunnoft

Question

AJ,

I've been watching your videos for the past few nights and they've been very helpful. In particular, I've been paying close attention to the series on the speed at which you move the various polishers (love the Copa method LOL) and the amount of polish used.

So, I've got this new SRT8 Challenger that just doesn't want to seem to cooperate and let go of those dealer installed swirls.

Here's what I've done so far, I used the Flex without having any real idea how much pressure I was applying and without having any real idea how quickly to move the polisher. I followed Adam's video and put an X on the pad and hit it with the detail spray. I would do this: Orange pad, White pad and then move on to another section. I never wiped it down between orange and white to see if it was "working". I don't know that I fully understood what it meant to get the polish to flash. And I also thought my pads were coming apart because I was seeing little orange "bits" flying around on my car. I understand now that what I thought was the pad was actually bits of dried polish.

Anyhow, as sloppy as that technique was, it did do some work.

The next day all my pads were wet so I did a correction run by hand with the orange hex applicator and the revive blue polish with the blue hex applicator pad.

The weather didn't cooperate the next day, but during that day I watched your video series. Now I have a much better understanding. So, two days ago, I hit it again with the Flex, but I worked it to the speed that you used. It's about an 8 count across whereas the PC would be a 16 count. I used a bathroom scale and found that it doesn't take much pressure to produce the 9-14 pounds of pressure. The machine itself exerts about 5.1 pounds of pressure, so a very slight downward pressure from my right hand at the top of the Flex produces the desired pressure range. I used a small circular bead of polish on the Flex pads (not the pea sized three drops for the PC) and I used the detail spray most of the time after I'd had the polish flash to bring back the polish and get some more time working it. This time, I also just used the Fine Machine Polish and not the orange pad.

Brother, my brother, I thought I was finished when I did the job. Now I don't have a garage so I'm rolling in the outdoors, but in NC, it's been in the 40s and 50s when I've been detailing. It was also not a sunny day that last time. It was mostly overcast. I'd get down and get an angle where I thought I'd have some sunlight to check for the swirls and I wouldn't really see any. So when I finished the car, I hit it with Quick Sealant and then Brilliant Glaze. That night when we left to go out to eat, my wife's car's headlights hit the Challenger and she looked good, but when I went up to her to check again for the swirls, I still saw some. They weren't as bad as they had been before. These are light marks. Not really too bad, but I know the car isn't perfect and I've been busting my hump trying to correct it.

So, my question is this, it's a bright sunny day today (so far). I'd like to get it one more time. Do I need to do anything to the car to remove the Quick Sealant and the Brilliant Glaze? The car has been outside but hasn't been driven since I finished it off with Quick Sealant and Brilliant Glaze. I was thinking about hitting it with the Master Blaster to blow any debris off and then going over it with some Waterless Wash and a waffle towel. If that's ok, then I'm guessing I'll go for the Orange Flex/White Flex. I don't think I'd need the Green pad, but I'd like to know what you think. Would you go PC and use it because it give me more time to work the polish or would you go Flex because it's faster?

I don't have a good light to use to shine on the paint yet to see what's really there. In one of the earlier threads I'd been reading, I saw you recommended a type of light that's meant for installation on a bicycle. I forgot the name, but I saw it on Amazon for a little over $100.

One thing I might need to focus on is the area I'm working. I might be guilty of working more than a 2' x 2' area. It might be slightly larger. It gets funny and hard to tell when you're dealing with areas like the top of the car where there's a sunroof and not a large flat area.

Also, my car has stripes on it (basically factory installed stickers!) and I'm pretty sure those have clear coat over them, but is there any danger of the Flex or PC peeling those off if I don't put 3M automotive tape over them?

Thanks AJ!

More good stuff from AJ. Thanks! And thanks to IRUNNOFT for the initial post.

I started using Adam's products with my old PC on my '03 black Suburban. (I bought the PC intially for use with another brand of products but never got the excellent results like i get with Adam's.) I had to make 6 - 7 passes on the hood because the paint was so jacked up. I ended up getting it looking real good but decided to get a Flex to shorten the time for the correction process.

After I had the Suburban looking good for a week or two, one of the guys in the shop "helped" me one night by taking a snow brush to clear 3" - 4" of snow off the hood. While he was well intentioned, the hood needed serious attention. I decided it was a perfect place to try out my new Flex.

While I can see that it will ultimately save me time on a correction, the process is not identical to PC. While I felt real good with the PC, I don't feel as comfortable with the Flex yet.

:cheers:

... While I felt real good with the PC, I don't feel as comfortable with the Flex yet.

:cheers:

Yet.

Words to grow by. I used the PC for so long that by the time I got to the Flex, I was like a duck to water. The key was all the many hours that I had put behind the PC. It's all about growing with your tools and your passion.

When I first bought my Corvette, I opened the hood and couldn't locate the engine. It looked so Greek to me that I closed the hood and never attempted to do anything more than check the oil level. As a matter of fact, that was about all I knew about working on cars. That was 2004.

Now I'm changing head gaskets. :help:

cylhead6.jpg

I couldn't help but to think that now will be a primo opportunity to get a toothbrush into some areas of the engine that I couldn't reach before. I'm sick with this! :willy:

:lol::lol::lol:

I should've said "small book of questions for the Junkman" or "go make a pot of coffee to drink while I ask you to answer a million questions!"

But, like the Junkman said, he was there, too at one time. His patience and attention to detail in explaining things to other forum members stems from his passion in detailing. He is a detailing demon dog!

I am pretty much in the same boat i have both PC and Flex and even the same bloody car lol, I copied junks response to my phone for a reference. Only difference I am lucky enough to have my Wifes SUV/Her Bros GTO to practice on before even touching my SRT8. Very good Tips!!

Outstanding responses to the OP. While you're replacing your head gaskets, don't forget to have the heads checked out by a machine shop. Also check the block for flatness with a straight edge. Lastly, get rid of that nasty Dexcool coolant. :thumbsup:

Way ahead of you, although the Dex-Cool stays. One thing that I have learned during my billion hour research on the design of my car is that GM does things for a reason and only after a boat load of research. If you can not scientifically show an advantage to making a change, never re-engineer a system. I've even talked with the guys who actually DESIGNED the car from the ground up. That's access to some serious information. :thumbsup:

Way ahead of you, although the Dex-Cool stays. One thing that I have learned during my billion hour research on the design of my car is that GM does things for a reason and only after a boat load of research. If you can not scientifically show an advantage to making a change, never re-engineer a system. I've even talked with the guys who actually DESIGNED the car from the ground up. That's access to some serious information. :thumbsup:

I expected that from a squared away Marine. :burnout:

I love this forum! AJ thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions. You rock!

The forum's great because you can hear some of AJ's wisdom without it costing you a steak or two.

Don't say steak... unless you're packin' one. I'm starving right now. :D

Oh, but it's perfectly ok for you to make posts like this that make all of us drool. :D

Personally, I like to use my knife to carve up my filets. :drool:

juicy_filet.jpg

Archived