Customer Service 866.965.0400

We all had to start somewhere...

Team Adam's

My first car was a 1971 V8 Chevy Nova that had a ton of miles on it, rust too, but I was thrilled with it anyway. Washed it with dish soap and a sponge. Waxed with Turtle Wax (often, lol), dried and buffed with t-shirts or old towels. Vacuumed the interior a couple times a year. That was about it. I grew up outside of Boston, so it took a terrible beating in the winter. But I thought it looked great.

Standards for having a sharp car at that time, at least on the east coast, were not what they are today. And the products that were available were just plain sad compared to what we have today.

Wish I still had that car, rust and all.

First car was mint '74TransAm bought in '77 at age 16 with app 5k for $4000.

Turtle Wax (zip wax maybe? It was in little packets you snipped open and poured in water ) quarter draining car wash bays and my mothers towels. Remember first wax job well. It was Megs The damn stuff wouldn't come off and was cursing up a storm. LOL

I think I started before some of you guys were born. Hell, Adam was still in high school and Dylan was a twinkle in his daddy's eye! :lolsmack:

We had 4 products to choose from over the counter that I can remember. Turtle Wax, Nu Finish, Meg's and Armor-All. I could have owned stock in all four. I once had to put out a AC Compressor fire in my engine with a brand new bottle of Amour-All. I cried myself to sleep that night. :o

I didn't even know what I didn't know. With that knowledge of how it's supposed to be, avoiding car washes and washing our cars in 40 degree weather is the only logical and completely normal option. I don't know whether to thank or curse you Adam. :)

But I do know I couldn't be happier when I'm washing the cars!

Why is washing a car in 40 degree weather bad? If the outside temp is above 32 I thought it was ok.

Well I know I'm kind of young so I'm just starting out. My first car was a ford focus I refuse to focus on detailing it, it's DD. I keep it washed though. As far as detailing the 2011 Max I won't half the mistakes you guys have. Obviously since these forums exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is washing a car in 40 degree weather bad? If the outside temp is above 32 I thought it was ok.

It's not bad as long as you avoid hypothermia and ignore the rolled eyes from your significant other and neighbors. Personally I tend to get wet when I wash my cars, and I don't like wearing bulky warm clothes when they are wet.

I suppose you could shower in 33deg water too, but I wouldn't recommend it.

When I was 16 my dad bought a new '95 Camaro. I eventually inherited it, then ended up buying a '95 Z28 a few years later. I was big on keeping it clean, but my technique was horrible. The bucket I would wash with at one time held some sort of pool chemicals... :lolsmack: I would add soem dawn dish soap into the bottom of the bucket and fill it up. Then I'd use a regular sponge to wash the car, not really caring if I dropped it on the ground or anything. The car would get hosed off then I'd drive down the street and back to dry it. Finally some "No Touch" tire spray. Interior was cleaned with armor all.

Some friends got me into Zaino, so from probably 1999 I at least used decent stuff. I used all Zaino's products, and removed the polish with a huge white bath towel. The car shined and was at least protected but was definitely swirl city. It wasn't until 2008 that I bought my first Z06 and discovered Adam's products at Zip Corvettes when I was getting work done on the car. I was nearly out of my Zaino products and figured I'd give Adam's a shot. I bought the essentials detail kit and it came with I think Volume 5's cd. I watched it and was horrified when I learned how poor my technique was.

Now I only use Adam's, and have introduced it to my family and some friends as well. :glasses:

When I got my car back in May of 2010, 3 days after I got it I went to work washing it. Tore up an old t-shirt, got an old bucket, and picked up some Dawn soap. Washed her with the same piece of t-shirt I used on the wheels and the rocker panels. Oh yeah. Used Meg's Gold Class wax, which I un-evenly applied with a cotton applicator from NAPA. When the car started to get a few dirty spots on it throughout the week, I took some Mother's DS and wiped down the affected areas.

To be fair to myself though, I thoroughly sprayed down the rags I used after washing every panel, and I did go top to bottom, back to front, just as I do now. And although my drying towel was a big bulk MF, if I saw it picking up dirt from the paint (after washing) I would re-wash the area. Also, if I saw the MF I would use to wipe-down areas with DS was getting dirty, I would get a new one. I was also always careful to make sure nothing ever hit the ground, and that the water in my wash bucket got changed often. I did always scrub my tires down with a brush, even when I was using some Hot Shine tire dressing. Thanks to all this when I discovered Adams, I had a lot less polishing to do and crap to clean up.

I used to help my dad when I was younger and to get the tires to shine on his 76 Chevy van I used mop-n-glow floor polish and for wax it was Rain Dance. I also used to use Blue Coral as well until they went out of business in the mid 80's.

My dad taught me how to wash a car... don't ever recall seeing swirls in his paint but then he only washed his cars every couple YEARS!

Needless to say I didn't use or know what ArmorAll was or any other product. After leaving home I thought I was doing great to wash my car every few months! But between auto washes and using sponges and scrubbing bugs off the car I introduced way too many swirls and the car just didn't look good anymore.... don't even want to think about it!

I have a tendency to get OCD when cleaning the house and so my interest was piqued when I found info about Adam's from some Adam's customers on a forum for Corvettes. My Bride bought herself her dream car and I wanted to know how to properly care for it and not mess it up like I had done on my previous cars. I started reading and bought the kit for wheel cleaning. Then once I had the DVD... :help: ...I really started the Adam's addiction.

It has been around a year since I first started learning how to properly clean a car but am now helping teach others and correcting other's cars now. :2thumbs::banana:

Archived