Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stainless Exhaust Cleaning and Polishing Thread

Chewy

Gottcha, i didn't think of them. Kind of weird how do the design of those cars are. I just do miss my goat. I would have nabed a gxp or even a gt, but the prices were way to high, like people though they were going up in value. I went to dark side after 4 Pontiac 's in a row. Set 300

The V logo comes off the Commodore SS which is what our car is in AU. Some put it on the left side and some on the right. In AU it's on the left side but the driver is on the right, so I switched it to the right since we're on the left. Much like an M logo on a BMW is here.

Stock, the G8 said G8GT on one side and Pontiac on the other.

Chris

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will steel wool affect the "Magnaflow" etched into the side of the tips? I want mine to shine but I don't want to remove the wording etched into the tips.

Thanks

I'm not even sure mine says that on them... Hahaha... Maybe it did... lol

Sure, anything will remove it over time. The goal is NOT to hammer on them with the wool.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since the International G8 meet is this weekend, and I'll have 50+ G8's following me on a cruise, I thought it necessary to clean up the car and a couple of bits under it. :D

I did the exhaust pipes, which you can see cross over behind the final drive. I started with 400 grit wet/dry followed by 800 wet/dry, and then followed by 0 grit steel wool and 0000 grit steel wool. The wool had MP1 on it for both applications. I wasn't going for a polished look mind you. I just wanted them cleaned up. I then cleaned the tips and end of the cans with MP2 and then applied MSS over all the areas. These pipes were NOT designed to be pretty, so they look good, but by no means great.;) Not to mention, they've seen 3 winters in IA.:(

I also put an application of BG and APW on the car.

Here are some pictures.:drool:

post-30-136818055307_thumb.jpg

post-30-136818055536_thumb.jpg

post-30-136818055547_thumb.jpg

post-30-136818055552_thumb.jpg

Looks good, what exhaust are you running? Did you put any SVRT on the bottom of the spare tire well? :D

They're magnaflow & NO! I did put SVRT, VRT and LC, on the interior and rest of the exterior though.

The exhaust has been on since 150 miles. I'm right at 34,000 right now. It's cheap stainless, so it rusts really bad. I paid 580 bucks for the whole thing though, so no complaints.

Thanks T!

Chris

• 1 month later...

If they're really obnoxious and Metal Polish #1 & #2 doesn't get 'em back to bright, get some 0000 (super-fine) steel wool from Lowe's/ Home depot--it will not scratch the chrome as long as you keep it wet with the Metal Polish #1; that should get rid of all the crud, then polish again to the dazzling finish that may have been!

Archived