Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Coated Aluminum Wheel Maintenance

Team Adam's

Question

What would you recommend to shine and protect my factory polished aluminum wheels with a clear-coat?

You should protect and polish clear-coated wheels just as you would the painted surface of your vehicle. Almost all wheels that come from the factory are either painted or clear-coated and most aftermarket wheels are the same. The importance of clear-coating wheels is to protect un-painted metals from oxidization, rust and pitting.

Before polishing and protecting, use Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner to clean off any heavy break dust and dirt. Once the wheel is dry, apply a nickel sized amount of Revive Polish to a Microfiber applicator. Apply, rubbing in all directions being careful of not getting polish into deep pockets or hard to reach areas. Remove Polish using a Microfiber polishing towel. If there are any light scratches or baked on brake dust, replace the Revive Polish using Swirl and Haze Remover. Once all imperfections have been removed, using another Microfiber applicator, apply a coat of Buttery Wax for added protection and shine. To maintain the wheels, wash regularly and dry using Detail Spray. For added protection and shine apply a coat of Brilliant Spray Glaze to enhance the wax every 2 to 3 weeks.

I always figured you could do it since they were clear-coated, but it's nice to hear it coming from you Jay so I know for a fact that I didn't do a big nono. I even claybarred them since there were loads of tiny black specs all over

vrt.jpg

I wish I had more 'before' pics of my car on my computer, your products literally transformed it

You should protect and polish clear-coated wheels just as you would the painted surface of your vehicle. Almost all wheels that come from the factory are either painted or clear-coated and most aftermarket wheels are the same. The importance of clear-coating wheels is to protect un-painted metals from oxidization, rust and pitting.

Before polishing and protecting, use Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner to clean off any heavy break dust and dirt. Once the wheel is dry, apply a nickel sized amount of Revive Polish to a Microfiber applicator. Apply, rubbing in all directions being careful of not getting polish into deep pockets or hard to reach areas. Remove Polish using a Microfiber polishing towel. If there are any light scratches or baked on brake dust, replace the Revive Polish using Swirl and Haze Remover. Once all imperfections have been removed, using another Microfiber applicator, apply a coat of Buttery Wax for added protection and shine. To maintain the wheels, wash regularly and dry using Detail Spray. For added protection and shine apply a coat of Brilliant Spray Glaze to enhance the wax every 2 to 3 weeks.

What about Metal Polish 1 and Metal Polish 2?? Where would those products fit in??

For Clear Coated wheels they don't fit in. MP1 and MP2 are for aluminum wheels without protection - like polished or bare metal. Treat clear coated wheels like you would your paint!

-Jason

My '05 Corvette has polished aluminum wheels. I have been using MP1 and MP 2 followed by Brilliant Spray Glaze. Does that make sense??

We need pictures !!!!!!!

I'd love to share some but I really don't have any good ones and with the winter weather on it's way, they aren't looking as good as I like and besides all of that, I'm pretty much of a computer moron and don't really know how to get pictures in. For now, I'll just be washing the wheels when the weather permits, but come spring, I'll be giving them a good dose of MP 1 and MP 2 and Brilliant Spray Glaze. Maybe by then, my son can teach me how to get some good pictures. (Getting old sucks!!)

I'd love to share some but I really don't have any good ones and with the winter weather on it's way, they aren't looking as good as I like and besides all of that, I'm pretty much of a computer moron and don't really know how to get pictures in. For now, I'll just be washing the wheels when the weather permits, but come spring, I'll be giving them a good dose of MP 1 and MP 2 and Brilliant Spray Glaze. Maybe by then, my son can teach me how to get some good pictures. (Getting old sucks!!)

Hi Steve

While we are waiting on Jason to post the how to post pictures thread fell free to email them to me if you have them and I'd be happy to host and post them for you :banana:

Bill

Hi Steve

While we are waiting on Jason to post the how to post pictures thread fell free to email them to me if you have them and I'd be happy to host and post them for you :banana:

Bill

Thanks. I'm at work right now. Let me check over the weekend to see if I have any that are any good and I'll let you know. Thanks, again!!

Glad to help

It's really easy once you get started. Just copy this link like I did from your photo bucket site.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp118/seibert1814/CarShow2007001.jpg

Click on Post Reply

Type your reply

Then click on the Yellow button that says "Insert Image" when you put your mouse over it

Paste that link in there and click OK.

It's the fifth icon from the right on the second row of formatting icons :xfingers:

Nice use of the search function Jasin!!!  All the way back to 2008!  :lol:

Depending on the severity of the swirls/scratches, you may be able to get away with Revive Polish as well.  It's a little more forgiving to work with by hand, but the Correcting Polish will definitely take care of some more significant damage...if you're willing to put in the elbow grease to do it!